PDA

View Full Version : Rookie with Electronics - Recommendations Needed

NumberOne
02-20-2017, 11:33 AM
To preface my question, I am a recent first time boat owner and a novice with electronics. The boat I bought was a used 2006 Stratos 275 (if that helps with the questions below) with Lowrance X52 units mounted at the bow and console. This boat will be mostly used on Kentucky Lake which although I have spent time on it, I am not real comfortable running at winter pool.

I want to upgrade the electronics on it. After having the boat out a few times the last couple of weeks, it seems as though GPS on a new unit would help me out more than anything (compared to SI/DI). With the new electronics I dont want to neglect sonar, but GPS is my main priority. I would probably just buy the unit for the console at the moment. Upgrade the bow unit later this summer.

Any suggestions are welcomed and appreciated.

With that said, could you recommend some units that may fit the bill with the information I have given you. Although I know you get what you pay for when it comes to electronics, I am not looking to sink two grand in new electronics (since I am not even sure what I am really dealing with). I am willing to spend some cash to have a decent unit though.

Buccaneer
02-20-2017, 11:40 AM
You may as well get a unit capable of SI/DI since you are going to want those features anyway. Particularly if you fish Kentucky Lake much. Buy the largest screen size you can afford.
http://www.basspro.com/Humminbird-HELIX-7-CHIRP-SI-GPS-G2N-Fishfinder-and-Chartplotter-with-Navionics/product/175588/

skillet
02-20-2017, 11:46 AM
I have a Garmin 93SV for sale. It's got really good GPS, which it should, its made by Garmin. Lol. 2d sonar, down imaging and side imaging. And it's a 9" screen. You can check it out in for sale section.

Whatever you decide on, get the biggest screen you can afford. All the units out there now are great and have pros and cons. It's all in what you want and can afford to spend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XxthejuicexX
02-20-2017, 01:10 PM
The biggest baddest unit you can afford..... then save up and get the next biggest one :) Saying that, like skillet I have the HELIX 7 SI/DI/GPS for sale. You would need a map chip, like most units.

skillet
02-20-2017, 01:47 PM
Garmin has a decent map already in it. That's the best thing about it. It really is a good overall unit. But like all I said, all of them are pretty good now

deezelteck
02-20-2017, 08:29 PM
I agree with Skillet.. Garmin has an excellent screen definition and nice preloaded maps.

I don't know how much you have been on KY lake, but be careful till you know the lake. It can be shallow in areas you wouldn't expect.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Mike Mofield
02-21-2017, 07:39 PM
I will not have another Lawrence, I have Hummingbirds. Know that all gps is not 100 % accurate where 10 yards might be the difference between running in 2 foot water from 30 foot. My units and maps may be 50 feet off at times. GPS is controlled by the government/military. But do get
the biggest screen you can mount/afford.

thehick176
02-21-2017, 08:43 PM
Interesting. All I have is Lowrance, never had a problem.

Dakota
02-21-2017, 09:06 PM
Lowrance HDS7 and lowrance before that. Just like thehick176 i've had no problems.

Alphahawk
02-21-2017, 11:09 PM
I will just repeat what others have said. If you get an imaging unit, if you get anything under a 7 inch screen you will not be a happy man. Do not get hung up on any brand. Don't buy outdated technology. All of them are good and all brands will have that bad apple every once in awhile. We all have a budget and I understand we all buy what we can afford. I have a HB 899...it has a 7 inch screen...I need a bigger one. But without this unit I would not have loaded the boat with crappie Saturday and Monday. They are that good.

Regards