PDA

View Full Version : HP advice

troutspin
01-30-2017, 10:44 PM
Upgrading the hp on my J16 Carolina Skiff (fiberglass flat bottom). Currently has a 15 hp Merc 4 stroke that was on it when I bought the boat. Top speed is about 13 mph with one person, considerably slower with more. Trying to decide between a 30 hp and 40 hp. Not a speed demon, but would like to be able to run decent speed with 2-3 people. Boat rates max 40 hp, but I have it set up tiller steer and am worried 40 would be too much. This is my first boat and have never ran it with anything but the 15, so any advice or guidance is greatly appreciated. Kind of a large purchase, want to get it right.

Alphahawk
01-30-2017, 11:08 PM
IMHO if it is rated for 40 that is what I would go with. I am sure TK or someone with more boat experience will chime in. I have a 14.5 foot Xtreme aluminium boat with a 54 inch bottom.....much lighter boat than you have. It is rated for 40 and it has a 40 four stroke on it. It is a stick steer but I could have gotten it in tiller steer with same motor. If you are going to upgrade might as well do it right.

Regards

Alphahawk
01-30-2017, 11:10 PM
With your rig and with tiller steering; I have found when motors are equipped with trim and tilt (T/T) you can trim to a sweet spot where steering feels comfortable and safe. a 40 HP would be my choice.

I had a aluminum 16 foot Vee Bottom with a Merc 90 HP Tiller on it ... Until it was trimmed to it's sweet spot it was a hand full!! Maybe AlphaHawk may chime in and throw some light on this subject. He has a similar set up. Hope this helps... <'TK><:)

I think we hit "post" at same time...LOL.

Regards

troutspin
01-31-2017, 08:08 AM
Thanks TK and Alphahawk. Your opinions both come highly recommended in the below responses :) Seriously, much help. Thanks