PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Weekend 1-28/1-29

TNBronzeback
01-30-2017, 02:14 PM
Hit JPP saturday for some hybrids since i put a new rod holder system on the boat. Ended up catching 11 hybrids & Whites and 1 largemouth. I must have been dragging the largemouth for a little while. when i reeled in that rod he was just chilling....swimming along. never saw the rod bounce or react in anyway signifying i had a fish on it. LOL. Tons of bait and plenty of fish, but you had to pass through a hot little school to get bit. on 2 different passes i had 2 rods go down so that was fun! While out there, i saw a boat with 3 guys in it. blue color older style bass boat, had a name of some kind on the side...TAKANA, OR TAKANKA...some kind of asian kind of name. the guy hollered me over, waving his hands so i thought he was in trouble....he complimented me on the boat and motor. LOL. i moved on. everytime i got within earshot of the guy he would holler and wave me over. LOL.
Sunday now is when the fun REALLY started. by the time i got my bait and got to the river for jigging it was right about 10:00. empty ramp, all alone. Hit my first spot and boated 6-7 shorts, had a few more missed hits...figured i might as well move on. Checked my navionics and hit the gas towards new water and damn it paid off. found a small hole dipping down to 44' through a long stretch of 30'. the back of the hole came up fairly quick, but the front was a slower taper into the hole. i fished the front and middle of the hole several times without a touch. motored up to the middle of the hole to fish the back end and it was game on! in that very small stretch of water that consisted of the 26'-28' i boated 19 sauger and 1 walleye in right about 2 hours. i hooked/lost atleast a dozen more and a few atleast felt pretty heavy on the hookset. they werent ticking the jig like saugers usually do....they were smashing it. The harder that wind blew upriver, the harder they hit. some were coming around a foot off bottom to grab it. The water depth window where i was getting bit was SMALL. i hit less than 25' and nothing...any deeper than 28' and nothing. When drifting around 2.0-2.3 MPH, you have a very narrow window to maximize your time through a 2-3ft depth contour. Kept 2 sauger and 1 walleye to bring home. tossed 4 saugers back.(that wasnt easy for me to do) no big fish, walleye was just under 18" and the saugers were 15"-17". all fish in both places were on the backside of deep holes as they tapered up. Ive had some really really great days on the river with numbers of fish, but never so many in a short amount of time that were feeding that aggressively. Hoping that spot will be a resting ground for some bigger females in the coming weeks. I have 2 gopro videos of me landing a short at my first place and a few misses at my second, but in between spots i guess i didnt turn it off and drained the battery. if you want to see a wet fat guy land a short and miss a few i will gladly edit it and post the link. LOL. really ticks me off cause i would have had some SWEET video with the snow coming down and saugers coming over the side of the boat.
if you have been kicking around the sauger bite this year, as far as i can tell...its going on strong! Plenty of short fish to be caught with a few keepers mixed in! just put in the time and hole hop new stretches of water till you find your personal gold mine!

XxthejuicexX
01-30-2017, 04:27 PM
Awesome trips! Good to see the wind did not keep you from going Sunday.

deezelteck
01-30-2017, 05:32 PM
Sounds like a great weekend to me.. Nice fish..

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

luckystratos
01-30-2017, 05:56 PM
Nice report. Love those details. Lets see that video

Dakota
01-30-2017, 06:35 PM
Good report and nice catch congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heiny57
01-30-2017, 07:58 PM
Sounds like you dialed it in. Good job

Transplanted Sportsman
01-31-2017, 06:12 AM
I thought I recognized you, I was at jpp Saturday fishing for hybrids with a buddy who invited me, man you have a real nice boat and set up, we limited out in about 10 minutes then went to Jefferson to play with the yellow bellies and small white bass with a few short crappie mixed in, it was a great day to be out there, this is only my 4th time fishing jpp and man it has been on for me every time, congrats on both days seems like are putting in the work and is starting to pay off

ttitan27
01-31-2017, 09:28 AM
Great day of fishing. Congrats. I'm thinking about trying my luck with a little A-rig trolling on Friday for the hybrids.