PDA

View Full Version : Old Hickory Sunday

Dakota
10-17-2016, 08:33 PM
Went out with a friend to Drakes Creek Sunday morning. Put in at Shutes and headed over with the water temperature at 69.8. Wind from the south ended up being about 10 miles an hour later in the morning. We fished grass docks and rocky banks. We started out throwing a rattletrap and squarebill. No hits the first 30 minutes. So then I started throwing a frog in the grass and about 8 out of my 12 bites were frog bites. Only two keepers Lost the third keeper of course that was the biggest. Later we did catch a couple short ones on rattletrap and square bill. Also tried a spinner bait and shaky head with no hits. When we stopped fishing around noon the water temperature was about 72° we also found a school of Shad where a few small ones were caught after we saw them busting. All in all not a bad day as far as action. But only a couple keepers to show. My friend switched to the trout magnet for a while and did catch all kinds of bluegill around docks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CreekWalker
10-19-2016, 10:08 AM
Good report. I was out there on Sunday morning myself down on the lowest end around the dam. Started out throwing a frog in grass and had no hits. Got out in some wind around bait I saw being busted and started throwing a spinnerbait. They were busting out in open water but it was almost impossible to chase them down and only landed one. Switched to the river for the 2nd generator that turned on at 2:00 and, for the first time all year on the river I got skunked. One good bite I'm not sure wasn't a gar.

lforet2002
10-19-2016, 08:28 PM
Was in the same area around Shutes with my friend goldspoon. We were trolling along the main channel catching a mix bag of everything. Paul caught several channel cats and the biggest fish which was about a 3 lb flathead. Paul throws just about everything but most of the fish were caught with cranks and I was using spoons. Fished the same area again today. Paul won the day again with a really nice sized hybrid. My phone is broke again waiting on a replacement or I'd post pics, though maybe Paul will share some if he sees this post.

Buccaneer
10-19-2016, 09:14 PM
I was out in the mid lake area Bluegrass to Cedar Creek and caught some dinks on small white/pearl crankbaits around shad fry being busted. My neighbor texted me with pics of nice smallies he was catching in the Rockland Marina basin right on the bank. He said the SW wind had driven the shad into the area and he was throwing a chatterbait up to the bank and bringing it through the bait balls.