PDA

View Full Version : Learn from my experience

deezelteck
09-12-2016, 08:06 PM
As Skillet posted, we had a great day on the river Sunday. Well, as we pulled the boat up the ramp there was a weird noise, and my old truck was lugging more than usual. I noticed the drivers side trailer tire looked like it was leaning. I got out at the top of the ramp, and noticed the bearing buddy cap was missing. There was plenty of grease, but the bearings were shattered. Moral of the story is check those bearings. These bearings were just installed a year ago and had plenty of grease. Luckily we got a new set of bearings, and got the boat home. Thank god the wheel didnt come off going down the road. Man what a scary deal..

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

unkangler
09-13-2016, 11:38 AM
As Skillet posted, we had a great day on the river Sunday. Well, as we pulled the boat up the ramp there was a weird noise, and my old truck was lugging more than usual. I noticed the drivers side trailer tire looked like it was leaning. I got out at the top of the ramp, and noticed the bearing buddy cap was missing. There was plenty of grease, but the bearings were shattered. Moral of the story is check those bearings. These bearings were just installed a year ago and had plenty of grease. Luckily we got a new set of bearings, and got the boat home. Thank god the wheel didnt come off going down the road. Man what a scary deal..

That is true. ... all it takes is a couple of minutes with a floor jack to get the tire off the ground to check freeplay and then spin the tire to hear any roughness or noise... i gotta admit i don't check as often as i used to.

Headhunter
09-13-2016, 02:03 PM
One of the most important things to remember, ANYTIME you add grease to the bearings, MAKE SURE the wheel and tire are off the ground and you spin them as you grease. Leaving the wheel and tire on the ground and adding grease is the best way to blow the seals out.

skillet
09-13-2016, 04:23 PM
After helping with this fiasco Sunday, I'm tearing mine down Friday. It's been three years since they've been torn down and inspected good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deezelteck
09-13-2016, 06:07 PM
After dealing with this, I'm thinking races and bearings were installed in a hub that needed replaced. There was plenty of grease, the races would not fit tightly in place. Even after driving in new races the inside would spin, and when the spindle nut was tightened down, there was about an 1/8" of play. I had to back out outer race just so it would tighten up, and get her home. I'm probably looking at a new axle on this one. The spindle got scared pretty bad..

agelesssone
09-13-2016, 08:25 PM
After dealing with this, I'm thinking races and bearings were installed in a hub that needed replaced. There was plenty of grease, the races would not fit tightly in place. Even after driving in new races the inside would spin, and when the spindle nut was tightened down, there was about an 1/8" of play. I had to back out outer race just so it would tighten up, and get her home. I'm probably looking at a new axle on this one. The spindle got scared pretty bad..

I can see why the spindle got scared! Surprised it wasn't scarred for life by the incident.

skillet
09-13-2016, 08:59 PM
I can see why the spindle got scared! Surprised it wasn't scarred for life by the incident.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160914/9313b30a4fed6adb0e74ce5e435acd8c.jpg

deezelteck
09-13-2016, 09:57 PM
That spindle is scared and scarred.. lol

Autocorrect isn't always a friend.

unkangler
09-13-2016, 10:16 PM
All kidding aside , .. the races should NEVER spin. .. -- for those that in the future are looking for answers.

deezelteck
09-26-2016, 09:00 AM
I had an axle made for my trailer. MFI Trailers in Winchester, Tennessee has everything anyone needs. MFI set me up with a custom brake axle with hubs, calipers and pads included. I wanted to share this information, for those looking for trailer parts.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160926/81e93cc1cc2246e70feae759e585b8d1.jpg

luckystratos
09-26-2016, 12:22 PM
Congrads on finding a new axle. I know you are ready to get that baby back on the road.

skillet
09-26-2016, 03:04 PM
I had an axle made for my trailer. MFI Trailers in Winchester, Tennessee has everything anyone needs. MFI set me up with a custom brake axle with hubs, calipers and pads included. I wanted to share this information, for those looking for trailer parts.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160926/81e93cc1cc2246e70feae759e585b8d1.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160926/713d55e1befb2e237a1777b725b4e455.jpg

SalmonDaze
09-27-2016, 10:09 AM
Deezle . . . I gotta believe your handle reflects your profession. If so, can you point me in a better direction? I have a 2001 7.3L that cr@pped out on me 2 weeks ago. Thought it was the CPS . . . not. For 2 weeks it's been at the shop, and they still haven't gotten to it.

I don't want to run it down to Murfreesboro (on a flatbed). It needs diagnostics and repair. I'm hoping you might have a shop closer to MJ (Madison).

Thoughts?

skillet
09-27-2016, 10:09 PM
Check boost addicts on OHB as you cross the Cumberland coming from MJ. Also give more info

deezelteck
09-28-2016, 06:54 PM
Salmon, I don't full time mechanic anymore. But I have family that works for ford, I'll see what he says..

Most definitely hook a scanner to it and see what the codes are.