PDA

View Full Version : Rooster Tails for trout in the Caney

aero320
07-31-2016, 09:31 PM
Planning on taking the kayak to the Caney this week for trout. What size Rooster Tails should I use?

lforet2002
08-01-2016, 05:36 AM
Planning on taking the kayak to the Caney this week for trout. What size Rooster Tails should I use?

Small. 1/16, 1/24...

eksfish
08-03-2016, 08:59 PM
Brown Rooster Tails use to kill it up there. The guy who turned me on to them called them "a brown Betty".

jad2t
08-04-2016, 07:42 AM
I fished with rooster tails for years there and they definitely do catch trout but there is a better method that you may have seen us mention in here from time to time haha. Trout Magnets. Go get ya some. Trust every single one of us who swears the TM will outfish a rooster tail 5 to 1 or more. They're simple to fish under a float and I bet you'll catch more fish that way than a rooster tail would.

aero320
08-04-2016, 11:38 AM
I fished with rooster tails for years there and they definitely do catch trout but there is a better method that you may have seen us mention in here from time to time haha. Trout Magnets. Go get ya some. Trust every single one of us who swears the TM will outfish a rooster tail 5 to 1 or more. They're simple to fish under a float and I bet you'll catch more fish that way than a rooster tail would.

I have used TMs for several years but could not get a bite on the Caney yesterday with them. Did not use them under a float, that may be the problem.

GO-OKFISHIN
08-04-2016, 02:59 PM
I was up there yesterday also. Slow for me. Caught 3 at the dam on corn then went to rest area and fly fished for a while then switched back to corn. 0 at rest area but it was later in the day.

frayedknot
08-04-2016, 06:46 PM
When fishing these trout magnets under a gloat do you guys treat it like bait and let it float with the current or do you twitch it.. I picked up some the other day and guess you would either swim them. Or work them close to the bottom.. I went to the rest area and happy hollow last weekend and didn't use them. I threw a small Rapala minnow and a little cleo with no bites on either..granted I didn't fish very long.

Pinwheeled
08-04-2016, 07:56 PM
When fishing these trout magnets under a gloat do you guys treat it like bait and let it float with the current or do you twitch it.. I picked up some the other day and guess you would either swim them. Or work them close to the bottom.. I went to the rest area and happy hollow last weekend and didn't use them. I threw a small Rapala minnow and a little cleo with no bites on either..granted I didn't fish very long.

Swift current, I typically let it drift close to the bottom unless it's a really shallow riffle. Slow or no current, I twitch it. Use a 2lb flouro leader with them also or you'll basically be wasting your time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk