PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know of a good catfish spot

gordonc615
07-26-2016, 04:36 PM
Hey guys my dad is wanting to do some bank fishing for cats this weekend's and I have no idea where to go. I was thinking maybe below old hickory dam but really have no idea where to go. Any suggestions? It's gonna be the first time I've ever night fished with him so if like to find a good spot. Thanks ,pm me if necessary

MickT
07-26-2016, 06:23 PM
With all the rain in the forecast, you can probably catch them around the mud line and up in the very backs of creeks where the current is moving.

Lepomis
07-27-2016, 04:34 PM
I'll piggyback on the OPs question. In the spring I can usually catch cats on deep rocky banks on shrimp or cut bait fishing 5-6 ft. under a float. Is anyone catching cats at pre-spawn depths where the shad are at times, or have they gone deep? Being able to fish shallower would also be helpful to gordonc615. Thanks.

TNBronzeback
07-27-2016, 05:59 PM
When ive actually targeted cats, ive done good right in the boat ramp area of Long Hunter. Dead shiners/minnows fished on bottom. Towards the point of the ramp cove drops off to the deeper bluff area and has good rocks to walk and fish. Ya might give that a try take ya a buffet of cat baits and let em tell ya what they want.
From a boat i would think OH dam, but not sure about bank fishing. All depends on the flow. Unless your planning on fishing inside the lock area. Which, ive there is alot of water coming through, might be good too.

skillet
07-27-2016, 06:09 PM
If you go below the dam, take some crappie jigs or small spoon, catch a skipjack and cut him up. I call that catfish candy!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gordonc615
07-28-2016, 11:20 AM
Thanks for all the info guys. And tnbronzeback you're always giving good suggestions thanks man

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk

lforet2002
07-28-2016, 03:50 PM
Good info here. Yes I'd say go below old hick dam. From the bank I'd go on the lock side of the dam. Gonna need heavy gear too, I'd say 20lb line and at least 2oz of weight . Use preferably no roll sinkers for Carolina rig or bank sinker for the 3 way rig .Again if you can catch a skipjack or 2 cut that up and use as bait. If not try to catch a few bream to cut up and besides that I'd maybe try some nightcrawlers. Good luck fishing.

TNBronzeback
07-28-2016, 06:49 PM
Thanks for all the info guys. And tnbronzeback you're always giving good suggestions thanks man

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk
No problem! good luck to you guys!