PDA

View Full Version : Summer Nights

jad2t
07-19-2016, 10:17 AM
I realized last Summer that fishing for Bass or anything else in TN waters isn't enough fun to put up with the blazing heat and party crowds on the lakes and rivers so I stuck to fishing at night. This could mean eating an early dinner and fishing until just after dark or going after dinner and truly night fishing until early hours of the morning. I've spent most of my nights in the Caney, at various locations, throwing jerkbaits.

Normally I'd attach some pics but don't feel like resizing them from my phone. I've landed a lot of quality Browns and PLR Rainbows. All on jerkbaits. Rattlin Rogues and X-Rap seem to be the top producers. I've also sent some nice Walleye from the cold water to hot butter. Biggest Brown so far just a hair under 20". When I finally break that 24" mark it, too, will be headed for hot butter.

My current goal is learning how to catch Rockfish in there aside from waiting for several days worth of generation to bring them up to the dam. I want to figure them out way downstream where they normally are. I ventured out that way Sunday evening throwing the same swimbaits I'm always using and had some success. Landed one, had one follow.

Don't let the heat and the party crowds hamper your Summer fishing. The best fishing is done at night any time of the year but it's even more fun to do in the Summer so you're not freezing and wet. Some do it in Winter but that's not my cup of coffee.

unkangler
07-19-2016, 11:02 AM
Good Advice .... Ah, to be young,strong and motivated! :)

Pinwheeled
07-19-2016, 01:09 PM
I agree. Night fishing can be a pain but it's really the way to go this time of year. I've had the same thought about chasing the Stripers there too. I have a vacation coming up and plan on devoting at least one out to them.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160719/c890eac0e9ce5f12745712fe316703e6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Headhunter
07-19-2016, 01:10 PM
I agree for stripers, especially topwater bite.

For bass right now, the hotter the better, the more the boats the better and the middle of the day is the absolute best. At least on lakes. If you can find them, not only can you catch them, but you can catch them in large numbers and on occasion some better fish when you get lucky and find a school with bigger fish.

I have spent more time than I care to admit night fishing for bass and was successful, I HATE the heat but for me nothing beats the middle of the day this time of the year and there are places where you want the boat traffic. First time I found a school (about 1989) in a "high boat traffic spot" close to Hobson Pike bridge, fairly shallow to, less then 10', my brother (I took him to catch them) he asked "what are we doing, we are going to die!" I told him to shut up and throw, first cast he caught a largemouth just over 6 pounds and said well it may be worth it. When he really questioned me is when I told him to make sure he threw right behind a boat after it went by. The bigger the boat the better. I learned that a long time ago.

lforet2002
07-19-2016, 04:01 PM
Caught a stripe Saturday morning at the rest stop..

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13769454_10204926890891391_6019822141107498673_n.j pg?oh=536f0de54e1e21b6a790ca2e7cf82884&oe=58343F49

Pinwheeled
07-19-2016, 04:59 PM
I agree for stripers, especially topwater bite.

For bass right now, the hotter the better, the more the boats the better and the middle of the day is the absolute best. At least on lakes. If you can find them, not only can you catch them, but you can catch them in large numbers and on occasion some better fish when you get lucky and find a school with bigger fish.

I have spent more time than I care to admit night fishing for bass and was successful, I HATE the heat but for me nothing beats the middle of the day this time of the year and there are places where you want the boat traffic. First time I found a school (about 1989) in a "high boat traffic spot" close to Hobson Pike bridge, fairly shallow to, less then 10', my brother (I took him to catch them) he asked "what are we doing, we are going to die!" I told him to shut up and throw, first cast he caught a largemouth just over 6 pounds and said well it may be worth it. When he really questioned me is when I told him to make sure he threw right behind a boat after it went by. The bigger the boat the better. I learned that a long time ago.

I agree on the boat traffic getting the fish going. Have seen this on other lakes when there isn't much current to speak of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MNfisher
07-20-2016, 11:26 AM
We used to fish narrow channels for walleye up in MN. We always pitched jigs in the prop wash of the boats that idled through the channel. That prop wash absolutely starts a feeding frenzy. This was in 4-6 feet of water and we'd pluck walleye up to 8 lbs from feet behind moving boats

Mike

TNBronzeback
07-20-2016, 11:46 AM
Thats how we always got our musky on St. Clair. Trolling directly in your own prop wash. Crazy to do but it works and works incredibly.

lupanfreitag
07-20-2016, 05:20 PM
I miss her so. I need to go there again next year.

MNfisher
07-20-2016, 08:43 PM
Thats how we always got our musky on St. Clair. Trolling directly in your own prop wash. Crazy to do but it works and works incredibly.

Yes sir! Works in MN too. Trolling big rubber or big bucktails in prop wash. I've had Muskie hit my bow mount trolling motor before. Makes sense, nothing's too big for them, and if you are following a weed line on a slow speed. Just like a big inline spinner! Haha

Mike

TNBronzeback
07-20-2016, 08:59 PM
Kinda crazy when ya think of just how brazen those fish are! dont dangle your tootsies over a weed edge or ya might get em chomped off! lol

Headhunter
07-21-2016, 09:02 AM
Not really related, but a story I was told happened in Ontario.

Some people were sitting on a dock with their feet in the water. One of them had bright colored crocks on, a musky was swimming buy and like them. Clamped down on one of the crocks and they had to pry it off. The guy had pics on his cell phone. It looked bad.

SAMBOLIE
07-21-2016, 07:54 PM
Not really related, but a story I was told happened in Ontario.

Some people were sitting on a dock with their feet in the water. One of them had bright colored crocks on, a musky was swimming buy and like them. Clamped down on one of the crocks and they had to pry it off. The guy had pics on his cell phone. It looked bad.

Probably best to swim on your back in those waters.

agelesssone
07-22-2016, 07:37 AM
Probably best to swim on your back in those waters.

It wouldn't be a concern for you, SAMBOLIE.

YOUR DINGLE DON'T DANGLE!

jad2t
07-22-2016, 08:24 AM
That's how you turn into a Caitlyn Jenner.