PDA

View Full Version : Minn Kota Terrova 112lb question

navydocivan
07-19-2016, 02:43 AM
Kinda strange to me! This is a 36V Trolling motor and when the batteries get a little wore down .. like 50% the motor wont troll faster than 1.5 MPH and this motor can push my boat up to 4mph on a full charge. Is this normal or am I just not getting the full current through my cables? I believe my batteries are all good and they take a charge good so I don't think I have a bad cell or anything. Any suggestions on how to get my cable up to snuff.. maybe I need to wire brush them really good and put some grease on then to prevent rusting. IDK that much about cables.

Before you ask I know that my batteries are connected in series correctly to get all 36 volts. I am hoping that there isn't something wrong with the foot control. I haven't had it out and used just the hand control this year. I guess that is the next check.. I just been using the foot control.

Buccaneer
07-19-2016, 07:33 AM
90+ degree ambient temps aren't helping. Have you grabbed the power cable from the plug to the TM to see if it is hot? If so your motor is struggling to draw the amperage it needs, i.e. larger gauge cable may be in order.

agelesssone
07-19-2016, 08:00 AM
I've had Terrovas for years. First the 101 lb thrust, then Terrovas, 112 lb thrust, and now the Ulterra, also 36V. 8 gauge wire is good for 65 amps 21 ft away from batteries, Terrova 112 pulls 55 amps.
8 gauge wire is plenty big and I've got a 22 ft boat, batteries in the back and TM up front.
As batteries get older they hold a charge less. Could be low water in one or all of the batteries. One battery could be going bad. It even happens with new batteries.
When I bought my new boat in 2014, one battery died within six months, a second died within 13 months. Interstates, will never buy them again.
Check the water in your batteries and possibly get ready to buy new ones.
Or go to stealth1charging.com and get a very expensive charging system that will let you stay on the water 12-14 hours (like I often do) and NEVER run out of battery.
Or call Danny at 423-842-2772

navydocivan
07-19-2016, 09:28 AM
It appears to be the foot peddle that is the problem I put the moter down in the driveway this morning and compares the hand control to the foot and it was a major difference in top rpm. I may need to pull the cover off it and clean it out. It got wet while we were camping. We left the boat in the lake the whole week. Maybe it's just that roller speed controller that isn't modulating correctly.