PDA

View Full Version : Old Hickory: What's wrong???

oldhick
07-18-2016, 04:53 PM
I have been fishing OHL (mostly bass) for about 20 years and I have to say 2016 has been the worst I can remember. You can even look at tournament results and see that something isn't right. And 2015 wasn't much better....

I like to fish for bass in many different ways: rock, wood, grass, ledges, cranking, flipping, dragging, topwater.....all have been very inconsistent and overall disappointing. Not to say there haven't been an occasional productive outing, but that has been the exception.

Not too many years ago, I could hit the ledges in June and had a number of spots I could cycle through and could count on finding fish at several stops. Now, maybe 1 fish here and 1 fish there. And if you have paid attention, few people have been out fishing the ledges this year.

So what's up? I have confirmed it's not just me.

Is it fishing pressure (there does seem to be way more tournies than ever and the population growth around the lake may be a factor)?

Did we have some bad spawns (maybe all that cold water from dam work the last few years)?

Is their a water problem (it sure was clear and bright GREEN this year)?

I am at a loss. And I sure would like to hear that the TWRA is aware and is looking into it.

Any thoughts?

SAMBOLIE
07-18-2016, 05:17 PM
I have been fishing OHL (mostly bass) for about 20 years and I have to say 2016 has been the worst I can remember. You can even look at tournament results and see that something isn't right. And 2015 wasn't much better....

I like to fish for bass in many different ways: rock, wood, grass, ledges, cranking, flipping, dragging, topwater.....all have been very inconsistent and overall disappointing. Not to say there haven't been an occasional productive outing, but that has been the exception.

Not too many years ago, I could hit the ledges in June and had a number of spots I could cycle through and could count on finding fish at several stops. Now, maybe 1 fish here and 1 fish there. And if you have paid attention, few people have been out fishing the ledges this year.

So what's up? I have confirmed it's not just me.

Is it fishing pressure (there does seem to be way more tournies than ever and the population growth around the lake may be a factor)?
I have thought for years that tournaments contribute to the decline of good catches.

Did we have some bad spawns (maybe all that cold water from dam work the last few years)?
What impact does the raising and lowering of water levels have on the spawn. IMO it has a negative impact.

Is their a water problem (it sure was clear and bright GREEN this year)?
I think the flood of 2010 caused water problems. Also what is being dumped or run off into the waters.

I am at a loss. And I sure would like to hear that the TWRA is aware and is looking into it.

Any thoughts?

Not calling names, however one member would hurt the fish population if he was capable of catching and eating more. Jimmy has not posted any new recipes. :)

I have never called myself one of the best fishermen. Still, in years past I have had many good days/nights of catching quality fish in numbers.

Halli
07-18-2016, 06:09 PM
I had the best spring bite after the Bass spawn, one morning before 10:00am I had landed over 20 Lm and a couple in the 3-4 lbs range.

With that said I have not been out in 3 weeks so the summer heat and heavy Dam draw could be the current culprit!

Texas_Rig
07-18-2016, 11:11 PM
I think the major problem is fishing pressure. Just this afternoon I went out in search of non-pressured fish. I didn't fish a single one of "my spots" and I only fished places that I rarely if ever see people fish. I had one of my best days of the summer. I caught somewhere in the range of 30 bass. Biggest one was 4lb 2oz on the second cast of the day. About 10 casts later I caught one that was 2 3/4-3. Pulled the trolling motor up and left that spot only because I fish quite a few trnys. Found some schooling fish at the end of the day and caught a dozen or so on a buzzbait. All cookie cutter 14.5". It was a blast. And I really think that the places I've been fishing have just as many fish but they see so much pressure. For what it's worth every single fish I caught was in 3ft or less water. And every fish I caught was flipping a smoke colored red flake tube or on a buzzbait with a grey horny toad on it

Adrian
07-19-2016, 02:55 AM
I will say. The Lake has not looked right all year. Back in May, there were parts that were down right disgusting. Brown Stained truck stop toilet water. Went out today and the usual haunts were absolutely Stagnant! Did find some clean water and some fish. Those fish were on a flat near deep water. They seem to be gorging themselves on those tiny shad that are Everywhere by the millions.

Getting back on track here, every three or four years Old Hickory is just Fickle.
I believe a lot of it has to do with the Shad Spawn. When the gizzard shad are hard to find, I know it's going to be a tough day.

Here's how long I've been fishing Old Hickory. Over 40 years! I just hope the Stripers are still on schedule to start showing up this month...
http://i1245.photobucket.com/albums/gg582/adriandavidpayne/IMG_7809_zpsma9yqihb.jpg (http://s1245.photobucket.com/user/adriandavidpayne/media/IMG_7809_zpsma9yqihb.jpg.html)

Tennoutdrsman
07-19-2016, 06:41 AM
Tourneys out the Butt!! All the Catch and release because SOME think its a down right SIN to eat Bass,lol.... the ones I have caught this year,their mouths are all jacked up from Tourney guys :mad::mad:. LOTS of pressure...
.......Also,the bait fish is PLENTIFUL...I also see more and more Gar in the lake feasting on small bass and fry....

Buccaneer
07-19-2016, 07:29 AM
I was out Sunday morning at 0400 and found a few dinks on a point with topwater prop baits. Once it became daybreak there was a huge willow fly hatch so I hit the banks with overhanging trees trying to fill the livewell with bluegills. First time ever that pattern was a bust for me. It is generally a feeding frenzy but all I could muster was a few pumpkinseeds and small gills. Nothing like years past. So I pulled off the bank and fished 6'-10' range with crankbaits and picked up a few more 14.5" bass. Called it a day at 10. Water clarity was good, should have been cleaning gills for a couple hours but no dice.

deezelteck
07-19-2016, 08:45 AM
I'd have to go with fishing pressure. On the days the lake is overrun with fishermen and pleasure boaters, you can bet it's going to be tough.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

agelesssone
07-19-2016, 08:45 AM
Texasrig,

I wish you would have made a video of those fish!

I have never, ever, EVER seen a fish "every fish I caught was flipping a smoke colored red flake tube"!

That must have been an amazing sight to see!

Alphahawk
07-19-2016, 08:55 AM
It has been about 4 years since I fished Old Hickory. First fished it in 1960. The question you are asking is being asked by many others on many different lakes this year. Yes some are catching fish.....but many are struggling and wondering if they have lost their skills. I had the best spring of fishing ever in my life. But since the second week of June it has been the worst summer of fishing in my life. Guides are asking on forums how and where to catch bluegill on KY Lake.....Center Hill....Pickwick. I have always been able to catch bluegill at Pickwick...Center Hill.....KY Lake...not this summer. I know that is not much help as to your question but I think the question is being asked on many lakes around us.

Regards

oldhick
07-19-2016, 09:45 AM
I have heard the same about KY Lake this year, so who knows?

As for schooling fish, I used to find them on top regularly on OH. But the last 3 years finding a 'busting' school has been a needle in a haystack. Typically, from late May tru July has been good on top early and late. Even the Fall schooling has been a disappointment.

Now, I have had a few good days, but I have felt like they were an accident, not any pattern that might last a few weeks.

skillet
07-19-2016, 02:27 PM
Yes some are catching fish.....but many are struggling and wondering if they have lost their skills.

That is me to core this year!!!! I love fishing as much or more than you guys....I get excited and can barely sleep the night before. I get up before the rooster and am on the boat watching that big beautiful ball of fire come up over the trees. All the while thinking...today is going to be an amazing fishing day. Five hours later, not a peck and I'm ready to break every Rod I own and put 5 rounds out of the shotgun through the hull!!!
And I'm not an angry person....I promise!!! 😂😂

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texas_Rig
07-19-2016, 08:07 PM
Texasrig,

I wish you would have made a video of those fish!

I have never, ever, EVER seen a fish "every fish I caught was flipping a smoke colored red flake tube"!

That must have been an amazing sight to see!

Merv you know I'm a bartender. I'm way too poor for a video camera. I'll try and attach a pic of my best one though. Went back this morning for a tournament. Naturally didn't catch them at all hardly. Had one that was 3.90 but that was the only highlight of the day.

MNfisher
07-20-2016, 11:21 AM
Last night we had a tourney out of tyree access. I tell ya there is 2" bait literally EVERYWHERE from 2' to 30'. They have too much food!

Mike

Adrian
07-20-2016, 12:32 PM
One thing I've noticed that we might be overlooking... We've had a Ton of days where the wind is going from the North & North East. Today is one of those days. I really think Old Hickory doesn't like North Wind at all!

Have you noticed the majority the storms this year have been coming down on us from Kentucky?

Just a thought...

tacklemake
07-20-2016, 05:23 PM
I have been out just about every morning fishing and found the bass before the sun came up. After it came up they were hard to find and if you did find them they wouldn't bite. The water temperature in the morning before the sun comes up is 87.6 and after in the evening 93.5. I'm still fishing in 3' to 6' where the lay downs are and catching bass on the 8" black emerald lizard by Zoom working it slow on the bottom. I have found that the better days are when it's cloudy all day with a little wind and the water temperature is around 80.5.

spottedbass
07-22-2016, 11:29 AM
Got on a school of fish yesterday afternoon. Caught 25 bass in an hour. Had only 4 keepers and they would probably have barely weighed 4 pounds. They were a bunch of anorexic fish. There was tons of bait around. Why these fish were so skinny is beyond me.

Mike Mofield
07-22-2016, 05:13 PM
It has become very obvious that the water has become very polluted lately and all the fishing/boating pressure is hurting the fishing. Took my granddaughter out today and the water is NASTY !@!

Halli
07-22-2016, 06:30 PM
It's just algae nasty not polluted as all the water comes from highland reservoirs upstream as Nashville is down!

MickT
07-22-2016, 09:29 PM
Low flow conditions make it worse too. The water stagnates when there isn't any rain to run through the dams when we are in dry conditions like we were through May and June. An early warm up like we had this spring raises water temps too and accelerates the algae blooms.

deezelteck
07-22-2016, 09:30 PM
It's just algae nasty not polluted as all the water comes from highland reservoirs upstream as Nashville is down!

I agree.. There is always a constant flow of water coming through Old Hick. Moving water is usually less polluted than still water.

spottedbass
07-23-2016, 07:56 AM
Yeah, the current was ripping on Thursday afternoon. That is what had the fish schooled up.

FishAddict
07-24-2016, 08:29 AM
I've been fishing the Hick for 25 years. What I have noticed is that the places I used to catch a lot of fish are so heavily fished now, I tend to catch a few but not as many. I still catch plenty of fish, but have changed "where" more than I would have liked to. I will admit I would like to catch a few more larger ones. I personally think it is amazing that with the pounding it takes, it still is a pretty good bass lake. Everything I know about the water quality suggests it is fine. Went out yesterday AM and there were a ton of feeding/busting bass (a lot were smallish but managed to catchsome decent fish). It is critical that we release our bass. I do really hate the tournament style fishing. I love the changes where people are weighing and immediately releasing the fish. That is the way that needs to head, and I know there are going to be offenders but that is what is going to protect our fish. On the sauger front I am looking forward to seeing that settle some now that Wolf Creek is done. I've caught some fish, but nothing like it was prior to the construction up there.

Texas_Rig
07-24-2016, 09:09 PM
Fished way up river today. Up past Misty Cove. Caught quite a few fishing the small creek mouths and small main lake pocket mouths. Most caught on a white frog in about 1-4 fow. No big ones but a few keepers. Bass were feeding on bait balls that were up on shallow points