PDA

View Full Version : Battery both 1 or 2

Dakota
07-15-2016, 06:04 PM
My dial is turned to number 1 on my battery switch. I've never turned it to both or number 2. My question is do I really ever need to turn this dial?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aero320
07-15-2016, 07:50 PM
My dial is turned to number 1 on my battery switch. I've never turned it to both or number 2. My question is do I really ever need to turn this dial?

I run four batteries in the boat. Two are deep cycle marine batteries for the trolling motor. The other two are big starting batteries that start the engine and power the electronics. The starting batteries are connected to the switch with 1, 2, and Both. I switch to both when charging, but only use one on the lake. If the first starting battery runs down (pumps, depth finders, etc.) and the engine will not start, I can switch to battery 2 and continue to fish or get home. I learned this the hard way oh JPP late one Sunday evening in January!

Dakota
07-15-2016, 09:43 PM
Thanks aero320. That makes sense. I'm only set up with one cranking battery but 2 trolling batteries with an onboard charger.

SalmonDaze
07-18-2016, 07:14 AM
If you're on "All" and lose your alternator; you stand the (remote) possibility of running down BOTH batteries while under way then stranded.

Whether on my sportfisher running offshore or on my little bay boats; I'm on 1 today and switch to 2 tomorrow . . . always flipping back and forth from outing to outing and NEVER on "All."

JeffsLowe
07-18-2016, 08:39 AM
I run four batteries in the boat. Two are deep cycle marine batteries for the trolling motor. The other two are big starting batteries that start the engine and power the electronics. The starting batteries are connected to the switch with 1, 2, and Both. I switch to both when charging, but only use one on the lake. If the first starting battery runs down (pumps, depth finders, etc.) and the engine will not start, I can switch to battery 2 and continue to fish or get home. I learned this the hard way oh JPP late one Sunday evening in January!

yup. same set up here.