PDA

View Full Version : Trolling for Crappie on Old Hickory Lake

OldHickory
07-05-2016, 09:22 PM
Is anyone having any luck trolling for crappie on OHL? I went this weekend and trolled Bandits in Drakes Creek but only caught a few small catfish. I'm just learning this technique and obviously struggling at this point. Any guidance is appreciated! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OldHickory
07-07-2016, 05:23 PM
I'm needing help from some of you experienced crankbait trollers. I was trolling an "S" pattern along the main creek channel ledges...and I would also occasionally swing in a little on the flats from the creek channel ledge. Is this the correct technique?...it only produced a few catfish and no crappie. Or should I be trolling out in the middle of the actual creek channel? At this point, I don't know if I just had a slow non-productive day or if I was not using the correct trolling technique? I welcome any guidance and suggestions. Thanks!

luckystratos
07-07-2016, 05:31 PM
Wish I could help. That is something I have always wanted to do. Just never took time to try. I know crappie USA guys sure like drakes creek but that's little earlier in the year

Texas_Rig
07-07-2016, 06:14 PM
I haven't been fishing creeks much lately for bass, but I have seen crappie on my downscan along the main river channel drop offs. They have been in about 20-30 fow.

unkangler
07-14-2016, 06:22 PM
Is anyone having any luck trolling for crappie on OHL? I went this weekend and trolled Bandits in Drakes Creek but only caught a few small catfish. I'm just learning this technique and obviously struggling at this point. Any guidance is appreciated! Thanks!

Trolling like most other technique's can have a lot of variables involved.
I'll give you one Tip on my way of doin' it.
Not very SCIENTIFIC but when I'm ready to troll I'll put the boat in gear and then make a good long cast behind and do 3 pulls of an open bale while moving my rod from 6 o'clock to 12 o'clock to set my line.
Now Go Get-em! :)

bfish
07-14-2016, 07:14 PM
What speed and how far back?

I have never trolled OL but down here on Chick and Watts Bar, I am on main lake flats (20-40 ft depth) fishing 13-19 ft down at 1.6-2.1 mph.

tacklemake
07-15-2016, 05:34 PM
What speed and how far back?

I have never trolled OL but down here on Chick and Watts Bar, I am on main lake flats (20-40 ft depth) fishing 13-19 ft down at 1.6-2.1 mph.

Three speed on the bow mount

bfish
07-15-2016, 05:41 PM
That doesn't tell me anything. I have no clue how big/slow or small/fast your boat is on 3-speed (3-speed on 30 lb thrust motor or 112 lb thrust motor too).

I say go faster and have more line out. When trolling cranks, the boat's speed is faster than I like to walk.

tacklemake
07-15-2016, 07:02 PM
That doesn't tell me anything. I have no clue how big/slow or small/fast your boat is on 3-speed (3-speed on 30 lb thrust motor or 112 lb thrust motor too).

I say go faster and have more line out. When trolling cranks, the boat's speed is faster than I like to walk.

45 lb thrust

OldHickory
07-15-2016, 11:08 PM
I was pulling Bandit 300s at 75 feet back...this put them at 13ft deep. It sounds like my problem was that I was trolling the creek channel ledges (Drakes Creek) and probably should have been out on the main lake channel ledges trolling 13 ft deep in 20-30 foot of water. Do y'all agree or have any other thoughts on this?

OldHickory
07-15-2016, 11:09 PM
My speed was 1.8 mph.

bfish
07-16-2016, 10:29 AM
I...Do y'all agree ..
agree

Texas_Rig
07-16-2016, 08:35 PM
I've seen quite a few schools on the main lake channel edge. If I was a crappie fisherman that's where I would go. 20 fow seems to be a good depth