PDA

View Full Version : Trolling for Stripers and Hybrids on Tims Ford Lake. Had a great trip this afternoon

aero320
06-27-2016, 10:59 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160628/48d1edd37b442180065530ffda2a6e95.jpg

Had a great afternoon at Tims Ford Late. This fish weighed 24 pounds! During the month of June, most of my fish have been taken with live Alewives and on Urigs. I was interested in catching fish using the system I call the "spread" that incorporates Riviera side planer boards. and lots of rods. Each rod has a Tadpole (from Offshore Tackle), a fluorocarbon leader (30 lb.) the length of the rod, and a 1/2 oz. jig (this fish was caught on a Captain Jims hair jig with 6" white Mister Twister). The nice part about this system is that each line is connected with a release. Once the fish hits, the line releases, it is just you and the fish. When a fish hits, the Tadpole slides back and it becomes the equivalent of having a one ounce weight on your line. The boat still has to continue moving because the rods are still out. This method works for kids, they can reel in the fish, not so easy with Urig sets. This type of fishing will be good until deer season!

This is the screenshot from the Precision Trolling app on my iPhone. These were yesterday's magic numbers:

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160628/ceca17c95a8b9d5b8beb5e582cf711c8.jpg

40 pound Power Pro is the same diameter as 10 pound Trilene XT.

unkangler
06-28-2016, 01:06 PM
Man that's a beauty ... may have to book a trip with ya... how many people can comfortably go ?

aero320
06-28-2016, 02:50 PM
Man that's a beauty ... may have to book a trip with ya... how many people can comfortably go ?

One or two people are ideal. Three works out pretty well. I had a party of three last Thursday on JPP and we boated 12 fish on live shad. They wanted to keep the fish so we brought in eight. The largest fish was 10. Everyone caught fish and had a great time (including the Captain).

My boat is big enough to easily handle four but I think the overall experience is not quite as good. Put a big group together and I will get Merv to bring his boat to help out. Don't worry, I will tell Merv where to fish!

We have developed some fishing techiques specially for Tims Ford that also work on JPP. Sometimes a trip makes sense just for that reason. I have Striper fished for 30 years but still occasionally go out with a guide to see a different perspective. You can never learn enough!

jad2t
06-29-2016, 07:24 AM
That's awesome stuff Aero. I think, if the weather permits, I'm going to get my kayak out on Tims Ford very early in the morning on Monday and troll around for striped fish. Right around sunrise I may switch to casting for Smallies. As soon as I see the first party boat I'm packing up and headed home.

Then I'll probably shoot guns and grill steaks to celebrate being a man and an American.

TNBronzeback
06-29-2016, 08:08 AM
Then I'll probably shoot guns and grill steaks to celebrate being a man and an American.

Brings a tear to my eye!

XxthejuicexX
06-29-2016, 08:16 AM
Then I'll probably shoot guns and grill steaks to celebrate being a man and an American.[/QUOTE]

I've got a couple new hand guns to break in...... If you want company fishing let me know, might try and join you.

FloatNFish
06-29-2016, 08:48 AM
Nice fish Aero! One of those mast systems may be my next big addition to the boat. Seems like it would be a lot easier than dealing with in-line planers.

skillet
06-29-2016, 02:23 PM

'Mericuh!!!

aero320
06-29-2016, 06:13 PM
That's awesome stuff Aero. I think, if the weather permits, I'm going to get my kayak out on Tims Ford very early in the morning on Monday and troll around for striped fish. Right around sunrise I may switch to casting for Smallies. As soon as I see the first party boat I'm packing up and headed home.

PM me and I will tell you where to launch at.

Dakota
07-03-2016, 06:33 AM
Awesome fish. How fast are you trolling will live bait? I troll about 2–2.2 mph with crankbaits. Was thinking it's probably slower with live bait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aero320
07-03-2016, 07:21 PM
Awesome fish. How fast are you trolling will live bait? I troll about 2–2.2 mph with crankbaits. Was thinking it's probably slower with live bait.

Live bait 1.0, trolling Urigs and Tadpoles 2.5, Bandit 300 for Crappie 1.8

Dakota
07-04-2016, 07:28 AM
Live bait 1.0, trolling Urigs and Tadpoles 2.5, Bandit 300 for Crappie 1.8

Thanks!