PDA

View Full Version : A little trolling, drifting, yesterday.

Alphahawk
06-23-2016, 02:19 PM
I haven't trolled or drifted for fish in years. Since the weather has been so hot I kept telling myself I wanted to dedicate a day to trolling the Midnight Blue ThunderHawk Dancer using the Micro Dancer 1/8 ounce white jig head. I started out several days saying I was going to do this but would troll a little and go back to casting. Can't do that....have to commit to the style of fishing to see what it brings. Well today at Laurel Hill Lake I stuck with the trolling and it paid off. Had the lake pretty much to myself....95 degrees today and since the Gills go deep there in summer most do not fish for them, except maybe very early morning...but even then not many do it. I caught 16 crappie all between 11-12 inches and 15 Gills all nice chunky fish. All fish were released to fight another day. Got on a stretch the crappie were stacked on so would troll over them and using the iPilot would do the same return track. Kept my speed between .8 MPH and 1 MPH. The crappie were in 20 feet of water suspended at 14-16 feet. Water temps were mid 80's. The Gills were scattered...they too seemed to like the 15 feet depth.....but stuck with the method and got into them from 10-16 feet. Had one good shellcracker. Now fishing like this is not going to produce 75 keeper fish a day...at least only using one rod.......but it sure beats catching nothing.....and it is a ton of fun as I only use one rod and am holding it in my hand so I get to feel the hit....the thump. I am going to order two single pole rod holders...one for each side of my stick steer boat.....about all I have room for.....might put two in back for a guest.....LOL. All in all a good day. Life is good!

Regards

unkangler
06-23-2016, 03:11 PM
Congratulations.... Nice bunch of fish.

When your catchin 'em good like that sometimes you forget about the heat :cool:

deezelteck
06-23-2016, 04:32 PM
Sounds like a great day to me.

Sweet screenshots

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Dakota
06-23-2016, 06:03 PM
Nice catch!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Travis C.
06-24-2016, 08:31 AM
Sounds like a nice trip for the heat.

Do you have a canopy on the boat or an umbrella?

Alphahawk
06-24-2016, 08:01 PM
Sounds like a nice trip for the heat.

Do you have a canopy on the boat or an umbrella?

Not yet I don't.....soon I hope.

Regards

notorious
06-24-2016, 10:42 PM
I installed a Bimini Top on my rig last year and it has to be one of my favorite upgrades. I choose a SunBrella top and during the mid-day heat it is significantly cooler and a really nice touch in the rain. Don't skimp on size or quality.

TNBronzeback
06-25-2016, 12:13 AM
I installed a Bimini Top on my rig last year and it has to be one of my favorite upgrades. I choose a SunBrella top and during the mid-day heat it is significantly cooler and a really nice touch in the rain. Don't skimp on size or quality.
Amen to that!
I love the bimini on my boat. I use it a lot more than i ever thought i would too! worth thier weight in gold when the sun is baking you!

Alphahawk
06-25-2016, 01:18 PM
While a Bimini is what I like I am afraid it would get in the way of fishing. Since it would not cover my front seat I could fish OK but if I had a guy in the rear seat it would be in his way for sure. Of course I could lower it if there were two of us and if by myself could always go to rear of boat to get out of sun for a while. I know Merv has one on his boat. Curious to hear how they affect casting....fishing. Thanks for the pics.

Regards

notorious
06-25-2016, 02:23 PM
I generally fish by myself...there are times I must adjust my position when casting as to not touch the top. When I do fish with another person, I do not take the top and or simply lay it down retracted on the deck, it does cut some foot room out for the back deck although. I troll with the top up and have no significant problems other than making allowances for the tension straps when landing a fish. Having the top on a boat when it is blistering hot is undoubtedly the best thing next to ice water. I simply don't have the stamina I did and this is a game changer in the summer or rain. I can run 50 mph with no problems, additionally the wind doesn't push you around when deployed and/or fishing. With just two thumb screws attaching it to the boat deck it's a breeze to mount or remove. It has been one of my best modifications I have made to my boat. I do suggest buying the boot as it will be my next addition for trailering.

Alphahawk
06-25-2016, 02:42 PM
I generally fish by myself...there are times I must adjust my position when casting as to not touch the top. When I do fish with another person, I do not take the top and or simply lay it down retracted on the deck, it does cut some foot room out for the back deck although. I troll with the top up and have no significant problems other than making allowances for the tension straps when landing a fish. Having the top on a boat when it is blistering hot is undoubtedly the best thing next to ice water. I simply don't have the stamina I did and this is a game changer in the summer or rain. I can run 50 mph with no problems, additionally the wind doesn't push you around when deployed and/or fishing. With just two thumb screws attaching it to the boat deck it's a breeze to mount or remove. It has been one of my best modifications I have made to my boat. I do suggest buying the boot as it will be my next addition for trailering.

Thanks for the good info. What is the "boot" for trailering?

Regards

notorious
06-25-2016, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the good info. What is the "boot" for trailering?

The cover for the top when it is stowed that prevents it from flapping while driving down the road. Mine did not come with one and it will be my next purchase.

Alphahawk
06-25-2016, 02:58 PM
The cover for the top when it is stowed that prevents it from flapping while driving down the road. Mine did not come with one and it will be my next purchase.

Thanks.

Regards

agelesssone
06-25-2016, 03:51 PM
Randy, I never think to take a picture of my top when it's up.

It works great and is super easy to put up and take down and stow.

I got the heaviest material they offered, kinda pricey but guaranteed for ten years. It also came with the "boot". Super easy to put on.

It takes a little getting used to, having it overhead when I've never had one before, just have to remember it's there when casting.

I got the "short" version so people can cast from the front or rear deck.You can't sit under it and cast, but you do have a place to get out of the sun if you want.

Here's a surprising fact....my boat is actually faster with the top open because it creates lift, the faster you go, therefore taking some of the weight off the boat. Not much, 1.5 MPH, but I had thought it would create drag and slow it down.

It's pretty nice to be able to get out of the sun when it's 95 degrees!

TNBronzeback
06-25-2016, 04:40 PM
Randy, I never think to take a picture of my top when it's up.

It works great and is super easy to put up and take down and stow.

I got the heaviest material they offered, kinda pricey but guaranteed for ten years. It also came with the "boot". Super easy to put on.

It takes a little getting used to, having it overhead when I've never had one before, just have to remember it's there when casting.

I got the "short" version so people can cast from the front or rear deck.You can't sit under it and cast, but you do have a place to get out of the sun if you want.

Here's a surprising fact....my boat is actually faster with the top open because it creates lift, the faster you go, therefore taking some of the weight off the boat. Not much, 1.5 MPH, but I had thought it would create drag and slow it down.

It's pretty nice to be able to get out of the sun when it's 95 degrees!
Slap a few wings on that beast and fly man!
Mervs guide service and arial tours! lol.

Alphahawk
06-25-2016, 05:22 PM
OK guys give me some links to places you got your biminis....if you can. I can't find one tall enough I can fit under...and I am short....LOL. I only need 5 foot in length and the tallest I can find is 54 inches....add that to the 13 inches to the depth of my floor and that only gives me 5' 5" headroom.

Regards

TNBronzeback
06-25-2016, 05:32 PM
Im sure you have already checked, but just in case, have you reached out to your boat manufacturer on companies that might be able to steer you in the right direction?

Alphahawk
06-25-2016, 05:35 PM
Im sure you have already checked, but just in case, have you reached out to your boat manufacturer on companies that might be able to steer you in the right direction?

No...but after looking all over the web I don't think I am going to find a top I can stand under.

Regrads

notorious
06-25-2016, 05:47 PM
Here ya go:

http://www.attwoodmarine.com/store/product/3-bow-bimini-frames-aluminum

Alphahawk
06-25-2016, 05:51 PM
Here ya go:

http://www.attwoodmarine.com/store/product/3-bow-bimini-frames-aluminum

Thanks.....can you stand upright under your top?

Regrads

notorious
06-25-2016, 06:45 PM
Yes sir...PM sent on particulars.

tkwalker
06-25-2016, 08:27 PM
Randy, check out my pic's on page two of my rig .. http://fishingtn.com/showthread.php?t=7376&page=2 all of these tops can be had via Cabela's at at good price with quality canvas material . As you notice mine is high enough I can step up on the casting deck with plenty of clearance they also have different sizes .

I have not forgot about our day out on the lake . Just real busy right now ... But I can help you with your quest . Just bring your boat over, let's do some measurements and I'll show you the options .... <'TK><:)

Alphahawk
06-25-2016, 08:57 PM
Randy, check out my pic's on page two of my rig .. http://fishingtn.com/showthread.php?t=7376&page=2 all of these tops can be had via Cabela's at at good price with quality canvas material . As you notice mine is high enough I can step up on the casting deck with plenty of clearance they also have different sizes .

I have not forgot about our day out on the lake . Just real busy right now ... But I can help you with your quest . Just bring your boat over, let's do some measurements and I'll show you the options .... <'TK><:)

Thanks much TK...and everyone else who gave me info. I already see from your pic I need to mount whatever I get in the track system you have on your boat. That way I can change my pivot point so I can get it stowed on my back deck. Will give you a shout. I have an email into the boat manufacture to see if he has ever installed any on my boat model. Yeah seeing that track mount on yours opens up more ideas for which one to get.

Regards

tkwalker
06-26-2016, 09:35 PM
Randy what ever the width of your gunwale deck ... I can add a piece of aluminum to facilitate the slide . <'TK><:)

kbrinson
07-01-2016, 12:51 PM

I am thinking about getting a Bimini for my boat but don't have any experience with them. I noticed in the pictures of your boat that you have an aluminum track which I assume is so you can move your top forwards or backward depending on what part of the boat you want to cover? I am trying to figure out what would work best on my boat since its is a tiller model and I don't want the Bimini laying on the tiller when its down. any suggestion would be appreciated. :)

Alphahawk
07-01-2016, 01:38 PM
I am thinking about getting a Bimini for my boat but don't have any experience with them. I noticed in the pictures of your boat that you have an aluminum track which I assume is so you can move your top forwards or backward depending on what part of the boat you want to cover? I am trying to figure out what would work best on my boat since its is a tiller model and I don't want the Bimini laying on the tiller when its down. any suggestion would be appreciated. :)

Just curious.....what is make and model of your boat?

Regards

kbrinson
07-05-2016, 08:00 AM
Just curious.....what is make and model of your boat?

Regards

I have a 2006 Lund 1660 Classic tiller model.

Alphahawk
07-05-2016, 09:34 AM
I have a 2006 Lund 1660 Classic tiller model.

You can mount the bimini on a slide track.....get support braces so it doesn't lay down.

Regards

kbrinson
07-05-2016, 10:47 AM
You can mount the bimini on a slide track.....get support braces so it doesn't lay down.

Regards

I assume the 'slide track' would run all the way to the back of the boat and both the main support bows and the back support braces would be attached to this track? And I would be able to move the top forward or back to cover whatever part of the boat I want shaded. also is it easy to totally remove the Bimini on days when I wouldn't need it? sorry for all of the questions. Thanks I appreciate all of you help.

Alphahawk
07-05-2016, 12:06 PM
I assume the 'slide track' would run all the way to the back of the boat and both the main support bows and the back support braces would be attached to this track? And I would be able to move the top forward or back to cover whatever part of the boat I want shaded. also is it easy to totally remove the Bimini on days when I wouldn't need it? sorry for all of the questions. Thanks I appreciate all of you help.

Yes you are correct....it is very easy to completely remove the bimini. I don't know how much track you would need but to my way of thinking mounting on a track is only way to go for us with certain style boats.....some boats a track is not needed. I have similar problem as you. I have my bimini assembled and ready to mount. They did not have my slide track in stock but it is shipping out today. As TK showed me it is very easy to move the bimini. I will be installing track that is 2 feet long. That is a lot of leeway to move the bimini. Of course my boat is a stick steer but the concept is same. The 2 feet of track will allow me to have plenty of shade over me...or move it slightly rearward to get more shade over my girl friend in rear seat should she come along. It will also allow me to slide it rearward to lay perfectly on my rear deck cover yet not be in the motor. Without a slide track I could not really put one on my boat in the ideal place. I will post pics as soon as I get it installed on the boat. I am really looking forward to fishing under it as the heat is killing me. As TK showed me...and my boat manufacture told me....you can disconnect the support straps when you are on a spot fishing and they don't get in the way. Just make sure to remember to hook them back up before you blast off to next spot...LOL. They make a bimini for your boat model. There are several sites that sell biminis that have a drop down menu for you to select your boat model. But as they tell you take your own measurements to make sure. TK, notorious, and Merv really helped me decide to get one. Just a year or so ago I would go out on the water in the heat and stay all day. This year it is only about 4-5 hours and I have to go...sometimes less....so this bimini will give me a lot more time on the water. Some say to get a bimini you can stand under. I did not do that. The shorter the top the more the shade. It also depends on the boat. TK has a big boat.....as does Merv. If I got a bimini as tall as the ones they had it would really look out of place on my little boat. I got a 46 inch tall one and after my girlfriend and I set it up on my boat just to see how it looks we both agreed a 54 inch would have been too tall for my boat....of course you may need one that tall.

Regards

kbrinson
07-05-2016, 12:41 PM
Yes you are correct....it is very easy to completely remove the bimini. I don't know how much track you would need but to my way of thinking mounting on a track is only way to go for us with certain style boats.....some boats a track is not needed. I have similar problem as you. I have my bimini assembled and ready to mount. They did not have my slide track in stock but it is shipping out today. As TK showed me it is very easy to move the bimini. I will be installing track that is 2 feet long. That is a lot of leeway to move the bimini. Of course my boat is a stick steer but the concept is same. The 2 feet of track will allow me to have plenty of shade over me...or move it slightly rearward to get more shade over my girl friend in rear seat should she come along. It will also allow me to slide it rearward to lay perfectly on my rear deck cover yet not be in the motor. Without a slide track I could not really put one on my boat in the ideal place. I will post pics as soon as I get it installed on the boat. I am really looking forward to fishing under it as the heat is killing me. As TK showed me...and my boat manufacture told me....you can disconnect the support straps when you are on a spot fishing and they don't get in the way. Just make sure to remember to hook them back up before you blast off to next spot...LOL. They make a bimini for your boat model. There are several sites that sell biminis that have a drop down menu for you to select your boat model. But as they tell you take your own measurements to make sure. TK, notorious, and Merv really helped me decide to get one. Just a year or so ago I would go out on the water in the heat and stay all day. This year it is only about 4-5 hours and I have to go...sometimes less....so this bimini will give me a lot more time on the water. Some say to get a bimini you can stand under. I did not do that. The shorter the top the more the shade. It also depends on the boat. TK has a big boat.....as does Merv. If I got a bimini as tall as the ones they had it would really look out of place on my little boat. I got a 46 inch tall one and after my girlfriend and I set it up on my boat just to see how it looks we both agreed a 54 inch would have been too tall for my boat....of course you may need one that tall.

Regards

Thanks I appreciate all of your help. :)