PDA

View Full Version : Canoe Fishing

Topwater1
06-21-2016, 09:21 AM
What are the best (preferably small) lakes for fishing with a canoe around mid Tennessee. I am much more of an ultra light fisherman so I'm not really looking for size just numbers. I'm already aware of Williamsport and VFW and how should I fish the lakes for panfish and crappie.

MickT
06-21-2016, 01:32 PM
In addition to the small family fishing lakes, a canoe is a fine craft for any of the rivers and bigger creeks in the area. I use mine regularly on the bigger lakes as well, especially when I intend to fish close to a put in. About the only place I would hesitate to use one is directly below one of the dams in the area where dangerous conditions can spring up quickly.

Topwater1
06-21-2016, 04:23 PM
You don't have to tell me your honey holes ;) if you don't want to, but if you do what are your favorite spots to canoe fish.

MickT
06-21-2016, 10:00 PM
There's 1 rule on river/creek fishing concerning internet forums- don't ask, don't tell- any number of folks can venture by for a look. Any of the middle TN streams of decent size will have more largemouth, smallies, black perch, and other sunfish than a man will know what to do with. The Caney Fork would be a good canoe spot especially if you can float down and take out at another access. I've put in and fished several of the boat ramps on Cordell Hull and caught fish as well. Check out put ins on the Duck, Buffalo, and Harpeth Rivers. There aren't any "magic" spots here, as the rivers change with every flood, but concentrate your efforts where fish can lay near current, but be just our of it, through the summer months.

Topwater1
06-22-2016, 08:57 AM
You're right Mick, and I guess fishing in a bad spot is better than not fishing at all.

MickT
06-23-2016, 05:37 PM
I'm not trying to gar hole you. With a toddler in the house, i haven't made it to any of my old stomping grounds west of Nashville lately so I can't really point you to a particular stretch, and I was never much for lake fishing. Most of my recent fishing has been within an hour of Cookeville, and there's some decent creeks over here, but not as good as I remember back home. I'd fish shoals and a couple hundred yards above and below them right now. That's where active fish will be.