PDA

View Full Version : Emotion Wasatch Canoe

Topwater1
06-19-2016, 07:06 PM
I've been looking at this canoe. It is the Emotion Wasatch Canoe. I was looking at this canoe for my fishing partner and I to get to fish small lakes and rivers such as Williamsport lakes and the Caney Fork. Does anyone have any experience with this model or brand. If so what do you think of it. Good Bad. Here is a link if anyone is curious. http://t.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=57280866&cp=4406646.4413993.4417832&categoryId=4417844

Halli
06-19-2016, 08:25 PM
Heck for 300 bucks just get it and tell us all about it. :p

eksfish
06-19-2016, 10:02 PM
No, but I am of the "you get what you pay for" school of learning the hard way.

TNBronzeback
06-20-2016, 07:56 AM
just out of curiosity, if you are thinking of spending $300 on a canoe, have you hit up craigslist or local sale sites for smaller boats or even making a post of here looking for a smaller fishing boat? that way you arent limited to just those small lakes. i mean, its your money and you know more about what you want, but i think you will get the taste of boat life after 1-2 trips in a canoe and quickly want to upgrade to something a little bigger and more stable.
i know its summer and everybody is looking for boats, but there are always people looking to sell something in their yards.
i would think for another $100-$200 bucks you could get 12-14' V or flat bottom boat.
might be something to look into to keep your options open.

SalmonDaze
06-20-2016, 09:06 AM
I have a High-Density Polyethelene (HDPE) Old Town and have had it since 1994. It is great, but your canoe, at 96 lbs, will be a beast to haul around.

Topwater1
06-20-2016, 09:11 AM
I really only fish small lakes and rivers that is why we are just getting a 13 footer. And all the reviews I have read on multiple sites say it is much more stable than a normal canoe, and we really don't want to get into the whole Jon boat thing, because we can get into places that some Jon boats can't with a small canoe.

Travis C.
06-20-2016, 10:27 AM
The kayak I use is a 14'8" at 76lbs and can be a bugger to SUV top solo after a long day fishing.

Are you car topping it or hauling it?

A quick way to guess on a boat stability is look at the hull.

U - shaped hulls sacrifices stability for speed

m - shaped hulls sacrifices speed for stability

_ - jon boat for example have little speed when rowing but incredible stability

The more you blend the two either way it will pick up more characteristics of each other.

Topwater1
06-20-2016, 10:41 AM
We are just car topping it. It is pretty heavy at around 95 lbs. but when I fish it's with another person though, so anything under 100 isn't really a concern.

Travis C.
06-20-2016, 10:45 AM
We are just car topping it.

With two it will be no issue. With one depending on the day for me (5'10" @ 159lbs) it's an extra umph.

Any boat is better than no boat. I used to fish a pond in our neighbors field growing up out of a masonry metal mortar box sitting on a bucket with a square point shovel paddle.

Most all boats these days will get the job done just keep your expectations adjusted to what you are supposed to be getting out of the deal.

Topwater1
06-20-2016, 10:50 AM
I bet that rig got interesting on windy days. Lol, I'm actually leaving to go look at the canoe right now.

Travis C.
06-20-2016, 10:57 AM
I bet that rig got interesting on windy days. Lol, I'm actually leaving to go look at the canoe right now.

Yeah, that and I did not have much room for error. The waterline sat at about 2" from the side rail. LOL.

Cool hope you like it and you get it slimed up soon. Also the Guide 119 solo canoes sold there are made by Old Town same as the Old Town Discovery 119's for $200-$300 less than Old Town sells them for.

Topwater1
06-24-2016, 09:52 AM
Picked up the canoe at Dick's yesterday. Along with the 100$ off, we had bought it two days before and shipped it to the store, but while they were unloading it they scratched it up. So they gave me another 100$ off. Great people there. Figured out that the company is based in Knoxville, and the hull is made in the U.S. can't wait to get it out on the water after we get a trolling motor on there.

Travis C.
06-24-2016, 11:00 AM
Nice! Looks like it needs some fish slime now.

Years ago, there was a company out that way that did Roto Molds and made the plastic truck tool boxes. You see them a lot in pest control trucks. That company had a hand in kayaks and such as well. Some friends of mine bought them at a pretty good price direct.

I wonder if it is still the same place.

TNBronzeback
06-24-2016, 12:29 PM
Picked up the canoe at Dick's yesterday. Along with the 100$ off, we had bought it two days before and shipped it to the store, but while they were unloading it they scratched it up. So they gave me another 100$ off. Great people there. Figured out that the company is based in Knoxville, and the hull is made in the U.S. can't wait to get it out on the water after we get a trolling motor on there.
congrats on the new rig and the money off! lol.
like travis said, slime it up really good and post some pics!