PDA

View Full Version : Hot day at Pickwick.

Alphahawk
06-16-2016, 08:21 PM
Woke this morning trying to figure out should I fish today or not. I decided to go to Pickwick. It is a little early for the white bass to be up in the boils but thought I would give it a try. Pulled up on the wing wall....put the trolling motor in spot lock.....and didn't move from that spot for 3 hours and then headed home. During that 3 hours caught a fish on almost every cast.....only taking breaks to get some water in me. Boy I drank a lot of water today.....99 degrees was official temp down there today. Not many fish pics as I just did not want to fool with the camera. Took one pic of a bass on the Hawg Trough and decided it was too hot to do anymore like that on the deck...so back in the storage it went. I started out using a Major Craft Truzer "Hard" model UL 6' 5" Ajing UL rod. I had the reel strung with 4# test NanoFil and a 2 foot section of Phantom 4# test fluro leader. The lure today was a Midnight Blue ThunderHawk Dancer on a 1/8 ounce white ThunderHawk Micro Dancer jig head. After around a dozen fish I decided I wanted a little more fight....I was getting good fight from the whites but they were all cookie cutter males around 12 inches. So just put the Dancer on the Yamaga Blanks Blue Current TZ Jig Head Special 6' 10" UL strung with SOS 2# test line. The lighter setup was a lot more fun and a lot of drag pulling going on. Caught two bonus Smallies at about 13 inches. Had the one largemouth. I would cast in front of wing wall and let the current take it into the wall....no retreive at all...just wait for the "thump" and set the hook. Got hung up on the wall about a dozen times. All I had to do was shake it a little and a white would pick it off the wall for me....that was a hoot. I assumed they must have thought it was a crawly bottom minnow that are known to hang on those walls. Three hours was enough for me....I figure I had over 100 white bass.....and I headed home. Hitting Dale Hollow in the morning to look for Gills...it is 4 days before full moon arrives. Life is good!

Regards

SAMBOLIE
06-16-2016, 08:30 PM
Ho Hum. Another boring day on the water and only catching 100 fish.

Great report, Randy. That smallie is a beauty.

Stay home on the full moon. Merv really gets kinky that time of month.

Alphahawk
06-16-2016, 08:37 PM

LOL.....Ott you need to drive down sometime and see how hiway 64 is coming along. God willing we will live to see it all the way into Savannah. Those whites were not what I was hoping was in there.....size wise. But had they not been there I would have been out of there in about 45 minutes. Not one person on the catwalk and only my vehicle and two others at ramp parking lot....it was hot!

Regards

jad2t
06-17-2016, 08:42 AM

Also Hillary turns into a warewolf so beware of any campaigning in Tennessee next week.

Travis C.
06-17-2016, 08:48 AM
Nice fishing Alpha. Better not over do it in this heat though.

Have you caught any of those huge whites in Dale yet? I am thinking they may be hard to target but boy are they big.

Alphahawk
06-17-2016, 08:19 PM
Nice fishing Alpha. Better not over do it in this heat though.

Have you caught any of those huge whites in Dale yet? I am thinking they may be hard to target but boy are they big.

I got into some whites at night up there several years back fishing for trout under the lights. Wish they were easy to locate in numbers in the daytime....pretty freaking big.

Regards