PDA

View Full Version : father in-law in town

marcg
06-15-2016, 03:00 PM
Hey guys,

My father in-law is incoming tonight for a week and he has asked me to take him fishing for a few hours after work this week or next week. He is a heavy Bass fisherman in California.

I enjoy fishing but truth be told, I suck at it even though I have all the gear and time I fish alone and catch few and far between.

I have access to fishing kayaks and a small aluminum boat with a small outboard.

Where would one suggest for afternoon till sundown fishing bass and what types of lures? I am sure he wouldn't mind either boat option but I just would hate to take him out and have my usual lackluster fishing experience of maybe getting a bit and maybe not.

can drive up to 30-45 min from percy priest dam where I live.
Any suggestions?

jad2t
06-15-2016, 03:24 PM
Honestly if you live right by Percy Priest Dam it sounds like you've already got plenty of places to fish. Priest is a great lake to fish for several species of fish. There are several ramps within that 30-45 minute drive window you want to stay in.

I'd suggest getting out early or staying late. This is the time of year when the topwater action gets good during those house.

Travis C.
06-15-2016, 04:00 PM
My father in-law is incoming tonight for a week and he has asked me to take him fishing for a few hours after work this week or next week. He is a heavy Bass fisherman in California.

Any suggestions?

Go ahead and tell him to forget all about his CA fishing experiences. This is not the Delta or Clear Lake to temper expectations.

Right now they are probably hitting everything shad related on Percy. You will just need to find them in or around main lake banks. Probably keep your search in the 8-15ft range with deep water near by. Cast n move cast n move covering water being the key.

That would be my best guess on Percy.

MNfisher
06-15-2016, 04:41 PM
Mid lake humps and ledges are doing well in priest right now. Shakyhead n finesse works or deep cranks

Mike

marcg
06-17-2016, 09:41 AM
Thank you for the input, we will hope for the best

Jlg309
06-17-2016, 11:27 PM
Mid lake humps and ledges are doing well in priest right now. Shakyhead n finesse works or deep cranks

Mike

Very true. I will add that yesterday, the magic number for me was 14'. It seemed every fish we caught was in 14' of water. We threw creature baits in 8' and dragged them to 20', but every fish bit in that narrow window.