PDA

View Full Version : More advise needed

Texas_Rig
06-11-2016, 09:19 PM
When on plane; what would cause water to be displaced back up against the lower unit? I was running down the lake the other day and noticed this. I stopped thinking I was dragging something like a tree branch or something. I trimmed up but nothing was there and it stopped and was fine. Today same thing except this time my bracket on my transducer broke and shot the transducer up out of the water and it landed on my back deck

TNBronzeback
06-11-2016, 10:15 PM
Could it have been the transducer all along? Half broke, diverting water, then it finally broke?
Mine sprays water up when on plane currently.

Texas_Rig
06-11-2016, 11:19 PM
Don't think it could have been transducer first time. I put a brand new unit on today before I went out. The other transducer was fine. Never happened for 3 years. I could have mounted the new one too low. The spray was coming back on the motor on one side(transducer side). It was hitting the motor by the pee hole just on one side both times with old and new transducer.

Buccaneer
06-12-2016, 08:06 AM
Need a picture to see the orientation of your transducer in relation to the pad or running surface of the boat.

Texas_Rig
06-12-2016, 12:11 PM
Need a picture to see the orientation of your transducer in relation to the pad or running surface of the boat.

Umm in English plz? Lol. Just teasing but I'm not following you here. Need a picture of?

skillet
06-12-2016, 07:18 PM
The back of you're boat where the transducer is mounted. Several different angles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texas_Rig
06-12-2016, 09:36 PM
Well I re-mounted the transducer today. Went out and boat ran fine. No unusual spray. But this time I may have mounted the transducer too high. When on plane the unit would only read 1.5 feet. Mount too high? I will post some oics tomorrow.

TNBronzeback
06-12-2016, 10:20 PM
Probably. I dont know about other guys, but installing a transducer is simple, yet its very difficult to get it perfect on the first try. Unless its glass calm, my transducer gets "choppy" if the water is a little rough, it gets a little choppier, if its really nasty, it just flashes zero. Lol.
All this is on plane of course.
Im thinking i should lower mine just a touch. Its amazing what throws em off. Rivets, rough welds....anything to disrupt the smooth flow of water.
Thats my take on it at least from experience from old aluminum boats, to my current boat.

Alphahawk
06-12-2016, 10:42 PM
If you have an large si transducer...be it an HB unit or any other.....they are known to throw up quite a rooster tail depending on the mounting location. I was very fortunate that the company that made my boat installed a transducer mounting plate on the boat when it was built. They mounted the plate where there would be no turbulent water flow over the transducer. The transducer was mounted and was dead perfect first time out. I had read a lot about mounting the HB si transducer so as not to have any problems. I passed on that info to the guy that rigged my electronics and it worked from day one. Hope you get it tuned in.

Regards