PDA

View Full Version : Old Hickory Advise

MikeyBfromTN
06-11-2016, 11:55 AM
My son in law and I are planning to fish OH later today. We're planning on fishing late afternoon until dark.

Looking for bass, crappie, etc. Not catfishing.

Any advise on where to put in and a direction/area?

Just wanna get out!:)

Thanks.

thehick176
06-11-2016, 01:36 PM
You came to the right place. There are quite a few of us that fish OH on a regular basis. I'll be out there tonight as a matter of fact. The lower end of the lake is fishing good right now but, that's where most of your boat traffic is. So the later you put in the better. Shutes Branch is a good place to put in.

oldhick
06-11-2016, 01:37 PM
Late afternoon to dark today? Advice: Don't go!

Seriously, OHL has been pretty brutal this year even fishing under the best conditions. This afternoon does not equal the best conditions.

Travis C.
06-11-2016, 02:19 PM
I haven't called any crappie in a while but caught some largemouth and a couple smallmouth this morning. They were caught down within sight of the dam and were chasing the small minnows.

A #5 shad rap or countdown rap right now in black n silver has been great recently. Typically for me its night time and big worms. A 10.5" plum zoom worm is my summer staple fished on main lake points near the river channel.

Travis C.
06-11-2016, 02:23 PM
If late afternoon is all you have that would be fine. The grass in Drakes creek arm was fishing really well a week or so ago and you can get out of the main lake. But if you don't mind pick a ramp from Avondale access to the dam that directly accesses the main lake then fish all the river channel banks/points.

Look for bait.

Mr.Duk
06-11-2016, 03:14 PM
My son and I caught several at dusk on the grass line in drakes creek. Spook and zoom worm.

Mike Mofield
06-11-2016, 07:30 PM
My 2cents, been doing a lot better from steam plant and up. A lot less crazy jet skiers and skiers. Maybe a little more stained but they are chasing shad. (the crappie are biting there also). Anything that looks like a 3-4" shad will work.

90titans89
06-14-2016, 11:04 AM
My 2cents, been doing a lot better from steam plant and up. A lot less crazy jet skiers and skiers. Maybe a little more stained but they are chasing shad. (the crappie are biting there also). Anything that looks like a 3-4" shad will work.

Water temp in channel?