PDA

View Full Version : Dead Lowrance HDS

JDH8504
06-11-2016, 10:28 AM
My gen 1 HDS-8 is fried. I made sure it wasn't the power connection by plugging in my HDS-5 and it worked just fine. Bummer!

Is there anything that can be done with it or is it useful to anyone for parts or something? Or is it just landfill material now?

The unit is older than 5 years so Lowrance can't do anything for me as far as a discounted new unit.

TnCreekMaster
06-11-2016, 10:43 AM
Man that is a bummer I'd at least take it apart and check for any obvious signs of damage like any black on the board or maybe a fuse or burned capacitor.

jaycee
06-11-2016, 11:20 AM
My unit seemed dead. I left it disconnected for awhile, rebooted, and then has worked fine ever since.
Buy a new updated. It's only money. And needed for fishing so is justified.

Transplanted Sportsman
06-11-2016, 07:31 PM
My unit seemed dead. I left it disconnected for awhile, rebooted, and then has worked fine ever since.

I love you take on this John!, I agree, imho the new helix units by HB are a lot better and have come down in price considerably so it may be a foot time to upgrade, did u have a fuse on the hot wire?

Transplanted Sportsman
06-11-2016, 07:32 PM
Sorry!, meant to say a good time to upgrade, dang auto correct

JDH8504
06-11-2016, 07:51 PM
I love you take on this John!, I agree, imho the new helix units by HB are a lot better and have come down in price considerably so it may be a foot time to upgrade, did u have a fuse on the hot wire?

Yeah the fuse is there and it's in good shape. Like I said, the other Lowrance unit works just fine on those cables. It didn't stop working on the water. Sunday I went out and it worked fine and then Tuesday it wouldn't power on. Tried soft and hard reset...nothing.

When I get around to upgrading, I'll probably get an HDS Gen 2 from the Lowrance Outlet Store (with warranty!) since the boat is already wired for Lowrance.

JDH8504
06-11-2016, 07:57 PM

Yeah, I've been wanting a Gen 2 unit for awhile anyway but my original plan was to move the HDS-8 Gen 1 to the bow and put the new unit at the console. Then maybe sell the HDS-5 or keep for backup. Or run it at the console and dedicate it for mapping. LOL...I got lots of ideas.

JDH8504
06-11-2016, 07:59 PM
Man that is a bummer I'd at least take it apart and check for any obvious signs of damage like any black on the board or maybe a fuse or burned capacitor.

I took it apart and didn't see anything obvious except for the fact that the magnets that keep the little memory card cover shut were out of place and stuck to the back of a chip on the keypad circuit board. Maybe what fried it?

brian graves
06-13-2016, 10:23 AM
Thats it! The magnet shorted out the chip/board.

You could take a picture and send it to Lowerance with a big email description. They (may) honor the issue and send you a replacement.

It would be worth a shot. Won't cost you anything but time.

aero320
06-13-2016, 06:42 PM
Thats it! The magnet shorted out the chip/board.

You could take a picture and send it to Lowerance with a big email description. They (may) honor the issue and send you a replacement.

It would be worth a shot. Won't cost you anything but time.

Post it on their Facebook page!

MickT
06-13-2016, 06:48 PM
Post it on their Facebook page!

I'd say that would get their attention and create an opportunity (pressure)- and provide them a great audience to make it right

JDH8504
06-15-2016, 10:45 AM
My only issue with that is the unit was bought used off of eBay and is likely about 7 to 8 years old. So it's probably seen the end of it's "usable life", even though it was doing great for me just a week ago. I don't even have the serial number because the sticker was missing when it showed up and obviously it won't power on so I can't see it in the software.

Maybe I can call Navico and see if there is some kind of super-secret refurb inventory they can help me out with. I have a baby girl on the way and just wouldn't feel right about dropping mega bucks on a new unit right now. But damn if I'm not bummin' without my setup. How spoiled am I?!?