PDA

View Full Version : Motor question

Texas_Rig
06-09-2016, 11:23 AM
I had posted the other day that my starter went out in a tournament on Saturday. Well that's not what happened. The bendix got trapped under the flywheel. My question is; Is this a sign of future problems or just a fluke thing that happened? I fished on Tuesday and it ran great.

Adrian
06-09-2016, 12:45 PM
Did it ever release itself? I had an old Johnson that would do that from time to time. I carried around some lube and would apply that to the starter rod when the starter bendix was fully extended and engaged with the flywheel. The problem would go away for a few weeks... Just a thought.

JKTrevecca
06-09-2016, 02:34 PM
I agree w/ Adrian - Spray some dry lubricant like a graphite spray on it and you should be good to go. This happens a lot on small 2 cyl briggs lawnmower starters. It's annoying but you might be okay with just some dry lubricant.

Texas_Rig
06-09-2016, 06:32 PM
Thx for the advise. It came free when I used a wrench to turn the big nut on top of the flywheel.

RiverRat
06-10-2016, 09:15 AM
Had that problem with one of my motors, and it was related to low voltage going to the starter. Might be a good idea to check your connections and batteries.

notorious
06-10-2016, 10:36 AM
Had that problem with one of my motors, and it was related to low voltage going to the starter. Might be a good idea to check your connections and batteries.
Bingo!!!

Texas_Rig
06-10-2016, 01:37 PM

Thx