PDA

View Full Version : Homeless camping on JPP?

Saltwaterwalt
06-07-2016, 02:22 PM
Today while kayaking off of seven points, I could see a campsite of several tents up in the thick of the woods. Not at the campground, but near the lake shore off the point in the really thick part. The site looked long termed lived in, clothes hanging in trees, garbage bags sitting on the ground. When I paddled back up to the parking lot, a guy "camped out" in his mini-van in the corner of the lot was really watching the trucks with trailers in the parking lot (he didn't see me paddle up). The van was full of bedding, food, etc. Awhile later another guy with a bottle inside a paper bag walked back into the woods towards the tents I saw. My question, after coming home and pulling this off of google, https://www.facebook.com/520952138065437/photos/a.520962658064385.1073741827.520952138065437/521012421392742/?type=3&theater ... Is the Corp allowing open camping anywhere on JPP now, and if not, is there any enforcement? Two years ago they wanted to kick us out of the dam spillways and now we have this? I wondered when they closed down Tent City in Nashville, where they'd all go. I have a guess now. I'd like to hear some opinions from our group who pays for fishing licenses, boat registration and campground sites.

Travis C.
06-07-2016, 04:31 PM
I believe there is no timeframe on camping in the designated "primitive" zones. But the area you are talking about would be part of the WMA right? Here is their part about camping:

"Overnight camping may be permitted on designated areas by permission from area manager, park ranger, lake manager, park superintendent or national forest supervisor. Such camping is subject to the limitation prescribed in the permit, if required. On areas where overnight camping is permitted, weapons must remain in camp except during legal hunting hours. Individuals authorized to carry handguns (those with handgun permits) may not carry their sidearms within Wildlife Management Areas except on authorized hunts and then only during specified hunting hours. - See more at: https://www.tn.gov/twra/article/wildlife-management-area-regulations#sthash.bfmzvvM0.dpuf"

TnCreekMaster
06-07-2016, 08:53 PM
I've seen quite a few on Cheatham lake from a mile below ohd, the pedestrian bridge, mill creek, the downtown area bridges and brookmeade park and I'm sure there's more elsewhere definitely won't find me fishing some of those places after dark.

Tyler

Heiny57
06-07-2016, 10:51 PM
That is sketchy,,,,