PDA

View Full Version : Caney Fork Sugar

lupanfreitag
06-06-2016, 06:45 AM
The spring of 2016 has been all sound and fury on the Caney.
This past weekend was no different.

Fished both Saturday and Sunday in AM.
Sunday most memorable.

Started at 3:15AM and pulled out around 10:30AM.
In the dark we caught 7 browns, one very respectable. In the inky darkness I swore it was a smallie. It was tail dancing and bulldogging like an angry green fish. When it was netted and the light came on, I was shocked. My friend took the pic, I'll try to post later.

As the sun rose, the bite changed but the action was good. Between 5AM and 7AM we caught 12 more, respectable 17-18 inch fish. At around 7AM the bite stopped. We changed one aspect of our fishing and 8 more fish in a row. It is amazing how one little tweak makes all the difference.... and why I have 20,000 lures at home for just such a scenario. You just never know.

Around 9:30, the bite slowed greatly but we still pulled one out around every 10 mins.

At around 10:15 I noticed a fin waving at us. I thought a dorsal fin but it was not. It was a big fish. Since generation started at 11, we puddled over. It was a huge catfish which had seen better days. After a quick chase, I netted him and took a picture (waiting on my buddy to send me). He was massive but prognosis negative. Soon the sirens blew.

One final note if you are fishing and have to cut the line every single fish because it swallowed it, change your technique. The old wives tale which says it will rust out just is not true. Some fish will make it for a time but studies show mortality rates explode with hooks in the gullet/throat. Certainly large hooks. Please do not fish with six 6.0 hooks for trout. Especially if you are only catch and release. It you are keeping them I understand. Heck, we all have it happen but not every single fish. Take your time and change your methods.

Good fishing.

MNfisher
06-06-2016, 01:49 PM
It's crazy how many of those fish have line in their mouths at the dam!

Mike

lupanfreitag
06-06-2016, 03:23 PM
In one outting I removed the following.

3- Hooks
1- Hook with sinker
1-Spinnerbait with 6 feet of string.
2- with only string sticking out!

XxthejuicexX
06-06-2016, 03:47 PM
In one outting I removed the following.

3- Hooks
1- Hook with sinker
1-Spinnerbait with 6 feet of string.
2- with only string sticking out!

Hell, I don't even catch that many fish in a trip :)

lupanfreitag
06-06-2016, 04:43 PM
Word to that.

I am up to 386 for the year since March. That is the number caught in my boat with friends. I bought cheap Chinese counters. Yellow = Browns; Red= Rainbows; Blue = Brooks. Browns far outnumber the rainbows but bows are gaining now that the stockers flood the river system. A guy at work bet me I couldn't catch 1,000 in one year. I'm going to hit 1,000 this year or expire trying.
Might have to live there November and December. Quit my job and start a fund a fisherman website. "A dry hook is a terrible thing to waste."

MNfisher
06-07-2016, 04:17 AM
How many brooks this year? I haven't seen any yet.

Mike

lupanfreitag
06-07-2016, 04:33 AM
Zero brooks.
Usually catch more in spring
This year brook free

bradfordw
06-07-2016, 09:14 AM
How many brooks this year? I haven't seen any yet.

Mike

The brookies died either last year or the year before due to disease at the hatchery, no word yet on when they will re-stock them if they're even going to.

Best,
BW

Cstew
06-07-2016, 01:04 PM
It would be sweet to see them stock palomino trout. Well that's if the Caney could support them.

Travis C.
06-07-2016, 03:52 PM
I still hold out for Taimen in the Caney.

Unfortunately, the river is not longer enough and there is probably not enough food base for them to flourish. :D

lupanfreitag
06-07-2016, 04:17 PM
Yes. Bring it on.

Travis C.
06-07-2016, 04:35 PM
Yes. Bring it on.

IF that happened, you guys on here would simply remember me as the one who disappeared never to be seen from again except for the random folk stories of a bearded crazy man walking the Caney's gravel bars and loud giggling in the night.

SAMBOLIE
06-07-2016, 09:31 PM
I still hold out for Taimen in the Caney.

Unfortunately, the river is not longer enough and there is probably not enough food base for them to flourish. :D

How long do those fish get? :D

lupanfreitag
06-08-2016, 06:46 AM
Now imagine how long they get.... now open them.
You are going to need a bigger boat.

SAMBOLIE
06-08-2016, 07:24 AM
Now imagine how long they get.... now open them.
You are going to need a bigger boat.

Any boat would be bigger than what I have. Boatless.:)

TnCreekMaster
06-08-2016, 11:04 AM

The average length is from 70 to 120 cm (28 to 47 in). The maximum size is not assured, but supposedly a fish caught in the Kotui River in Russia in 1943 with a length of 210 cm (83 in) and a weight of 105 kg (231 lb) is the largest size recorded.

Travis C.
06-08-2016, 11:49 AM

LOL! :D

It has more to do with territory than fish size. They require a large watershed.

I will plug a podcast here that was done by Zach Matthews with one of our forum members where Zach actually asked the question of Taimen in the Cumberland.

That part starts at 16:50 but the whole podcast is very interesting and informative as Dave has handled more fish than we could ever fathom catching.

http://www.itinerantangler.com/blog/podcasts/2014/02/12/all-the-fish-in-the-world-with-dr-dave-neely/

lupanfreitag
06-09-2016, 10:42 AM
If I didn't look like an insane transvestite it would have turned out OK.
Fog was thick.

Travis C.
06-10-2016, 12:35 PM
Fog was thick.

There are so many things that can be said about that pic.....so I will just say nice fish. :D

XxthejuicexX
06-10-2016, 02:34 PM
Fog was thick.

Hey, At least you can use either bathroom at Target now!

Pinwheeled
06-11-2016, 08:15 PM

Fog was thick.

Great looking fish there 👍

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk