PDA

View Full Version : Pickwick Tailrace

Alphahawk
06-01-2016, 05:26 PM
Hit Pickwick today in search of big Gills. I did not find any big Gills but found a bed of chunky Gills. I had just the right setup for them too. I used my TICT Ice Cube Rockin' Drift 6' 9" Mebaru UL rod. Had a Daiwa Luvias strung with 1# test NanoFill with a section of 2# test Phantom fluro leader tied on. Used a black Trout Magnet 1/64 ounce jig head with a Bison colored Trout Magnet body. Had some bonus fish also. Several Smallies...one largemouth...a few yellow perch. Found 100's of crappie but was not really after them.....see sonar image...that is all crappie in there. You would have to catch 7-8 shorts to get a keeper....but still they were stacked. I made 65 casts and stuck 60 Gills...nearly all male and all cookie cutter size. Why they were where they were at I have no clue.....they were in riprap...no place to bed and the water dropped from 8 foot to 20 feet plus. Water temp was 74 when I arrived and went up to 76 degrees. It was a fun day.....hot....did I say it was hot! Where I was fishing a breeze was nonexistent. Rumbles of thunder and a quick check of my Radar Scope app and it was time to get out of there....don't deal with lightning. It was a lot of fun catching those Gills one right after another. Most of the bass came on Yamaga Blanks Blue Current 6' 10" Ajing UL rod using 2# test SOS line and Midnight Blue ThunderHawk Dancer. Found the Gills and switched to the lighter setup...still landed a couple of 12 inch Smallies on it though...they seem to be hanging around the Gills. Life is good!

Regards

Halli
06-01-2016, 05:49 PM
Lets talk those ring tails!

Hey in Virginia I caught them regular but one day I caught one at 2 lbs
or just under and got a Virginia Citation.

commdd
06-01-2016, 08:09 PM
Great report! Fun day!

AllOutdoors
06-01-2016, 08:16 PM
Well done Sir! Thanks for sharing.

Alphahawk
06-01-2016, 08:21 PM
Lets talk those ring tails!

Hey in Virginia I caught them regular but one day I caught one at 2 lbs
or just under and got a Virginia Citation.

You know there were quite a few in there today. I have caught them down there in winter but never this time of year. I am fishing everyday next week..a couple of trips to Pickwick....if I get into some more they are coming home with me.

Regards