PDA

View Full Version : Caney Fork

Topwater1
06-01-2016, 07:59 AM
So, I have recently started trout fishing, I've have gone to the caney two times. Both at happy hollow. Both times we got skunked. When me and another person I go with go, we never even see a trout. Should I just give up on Happy Hollow? Or is there something I'm doing wrong. The one problem is that I'm vertically challenged when wading if you know what I mean(I'm not very tall at all), so are there any relatively shallow spots that I can go that have a good number of spots. And by shallow I mean two feet deep at the most.

jad2t
06-01-2016, 08:17 AM
What are you fishing with? There are definitely tens of thousands of trout in there so don't give up. I'd highly recommend you get some Trout Magnets and 2# test flourocarbon line, just use it for the leader, and you'll catch fish.

Happy Hollow is a mess. People think they're at Miami Beach when they hit that place on the weekends. If I was a trout I'd venture away from there and I think you should too. Definitely mind the generation schedule and don't EVER be on the opposite side of the river that you parked on when you know at some time the generators will be coming on.

There are a few more bank access spots aside from Happy Hollow and if you do walk in at Happy, I'd suggest walking quite a distance upstream or downstream from the ramp and avoid the crowds. Just look ahead of you for shallower areas and follow those spots. Cast toward the deeper holes.

Travis C.
06-01-2016, 08:40 AM
That's a stocking point and there are always going to be stockers around there as well as around the Dam or Bettys access.

I have seen a guy walk in between three people (not promoting doing that as it is not courteous) and catch fish at Happy while the others were complaining about nothing biting.

The fish are there. It is more than likely your line size than your bait/presentation. The Trout Magnet setup is a great recommendation. Take that and fish it just off the bottom in spots described below.

Learn where they hold and what they need. 90% of the trout reside in 10% of the water based on their basic needs. Look for the strongest sign of current then look for dark spots along the edges of that flow. They will be either obstructions or better yet a little deeper water. Fish that.

jaybird
06-01-2016, 11:33 AM
I have had some success there with a small rooster tail as well.

Topwater1
06-01-2016, 11:57 AM
I was using an olive and black trout magnet, but I had no fluorocarbon leader. And as I said I didn't even see a trout didn't even see anyone catch one the 3 or 4 hours I was on the river. Should I be using a fluorocarbon leader with all lures as well.

Travis C.
06-01-2016, 12:13 PM
I was using an olive and black trout magnet, but I had no fluorocarbon leader. And as I said I didn't even see a trout didn't even see anyone catch one the 3 or 4 hours I was on the river. Should I be using a fluorocarbon leader with all lures as well.

There it really helps due to the clear water. It won't keep you from catching fish but helps catch more.

What hours were you there? Just curious...

Topwater1
06-01-2016, 03:48 PM
I was there from around 7-9 or 10 so I guess not 4 hours but around 2 or 3.

lforet2002
06-01-2016, 04:40 PM
I also notice the trout bite alot better on a cloudy day..When it is bright and sunny the trout get spooked easily..Try fishing in a shady spot if the sun is out. I've just started trout fishing myself in the Caney Fork and have had no problems catching trout..Its very challenging trying to figure out what they want to hit on, but once you figure it out its catch after catch..For me personally what has worked for me are panther martin inline spinners in silver, gold and chartreuse usually in the 1/8 ounce size with a very slow retrieve..The blade doesn't have to be spinning for the trout to nail it, its more important for it to slowly drag along the bottom of the river.. Spoons work really well also..I use a nickel, gold, pearch color and a pearl daredevil spoon..I've used a little cleo spoon also but the daredevil spoons work way better..And then there is the trout magnet..I've been using the 1/16 ounce with a white magnet under a cork.. Just like fishing the panther martin its important to get the depth of your cork where the magnet is close to the bottom.. Everyone has mentioned the fluorocarbon line, you at the very least need a fluorocarbon leader..As far as Happy Hollow I haven't fished there wading but we floated a canoe through there and had no problems catching trout. I like fishing at the rest stop though and I also had success fishing at Betty's Island..Also a lot of times you won't see the trout but believe me they are there..They camo with there surroundings real well and if you can see them they can see you and as I've mentioned, trout spook easily..I hope I have helped.

Pinwheeled
06-01-2016, 04:48 PM
I was there from around 7-9 or 10 so I guess not 4 hours but around 2 or 3.

Like others have said, it was likely your presentation. I often put in at Happy and trust me, there are plenty of trout around there and some good ones. Using trout magnets, 2lb mono with a 2lb fluorocarbon leader is really almost a requirement for trout. Keep at it. The fish are there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topwater1
06-02-2016, 06:57 AM
So could I just spool my entire reel with fluorocarbon and be good or is that not needed.

Alphahawk
06-02-2016, 07:20 AM
So could I just spool my entire reel with fluorocarbon and be good or is that not needed.

I wouldn't do that.....not needed and too expensive. You will find even using a 2# test fluro line it is too stiff to cast a 1/64 ounce jig any distance. Fluro line and fluro leader are two different things. The difference is the refraction index. Leader will usually have a much lower refraction index. The best leader is the Seaguar Grand Max in the 7x. I use a lot of Phantom 2# test leader but if the trout fishing is tough I go to the Grand Max...it will make a difference. There is a reason the Grand Max costs 3 times the price of a lot of other leaders.

Regards

Topwater1
06-02-2016, 09:27 AM
So it is like a tippet material. And can I just use a uni to uni knot to attach it or should I use a surgeons knot.

Travis C.
06-02-2016, 10:01 AM
So it is like a tippet material. And can I just use a uni to uni knot to attach it or should I use a surgeons knot.

Yes and either or on the knot that is personal preference.

Another thing not just at Happy, if you can wait a little before walking into the water they will usually give themselves away. Be observant and patient. People at Bettys access all the time will walk in and straight over to the opposite bank. I will wait then fish behind them literally where they just walked by catching fish.

Topwater1
06-02-2016, 10:58 AM
Well thank you everyone. You have all been very helpful, and I'm very grateful to be on such an amazing forum like this one.