PDA

View Full Version : Humbled on JPP

TNBronzeback
05-29-2016, 03:37 PM
It was a rough few days on the Priest for this guy! lol.
Took friday off to get up super early to get a good island camping spot cause thats what the wife wanted to do....ok cool! first 2 spots were taken but i found a nice place, secluded in a little cove on the north side of bear island. There was an older, half delapitated tent in the woods, bags of trash around so i figured its all mine. Unloaded all the stuff, and set up camp to look livable to a passer-by. Did some fishing, cruising, lunch at elm hill then went and got the wife from the dock about 6. pulling into our little cove, i see a group of dudes unloading all thier stuff and im like WTF!!! Corps site says primitive camping is First Come First Serve. We told them we had more people coming and it would get kinda crowded in hopes they would take our polite hint and hit the bricks in search of thier own plot. Wasnt happening! so we proceeded to take over the entire place, rock fire pit and all to let them know we would not be encroached upon especially with me getting up at 4:00am to secure the friggin spot! so needless to say, that was the first of many kicks to the cherries for me!
Fishing was spotty, lost a small fortune in cranks, my front lowrance unit is on the fritz AGAIN. The unit just freezes every minute or so for 10-20 seconds. Found some scattered yellows chasing bait and got some respectable blue gills jigging a spoon in about 10ft of water. I then decided to try some trolling cause i was marking alot of bait and fish in 12-25'. So i attached my Alumatrac brackets on the rail and trolled. Had some hard smacks but never hooked up. Decided to call it a day. I had to take off my rod holder bracket to get the trolling motor stowed, so i started unscrewing the thumb screw....flip, splash, sink! $20 rod holder and im guessing at least $30 for the alumatrac rail bracket, i guess i will find out when i order another one. I swear, if i had a rod in my hand, i would have went all Mike Iaconnelli on it, cussing,breaking it and throwing it over board ! LOL. I laugh about it now, but it seemed EVERYTHING went wrong the past few days! lol.
I couldnt find any amount of bass anywhere either. 1-2 here, 1 there, ect. Not sure what my deal was but i was off my game or something. Still a good 2 nights camping though aside from the group of "bro's" that invited themselves to our camp site.

jaybird
05-29-2016, 05:14 PM
Beats working John. I lost my favorite rod a month ago. A rig got snagged on the bottom and rather than grab it out of the rod holder right away, I screwed around long enough and accidentally bumped it. Shot out of the rod holder and went to the bottom!

Mike Mofield
05-29-2016, 06:22 PM
Tell me you didn't enjoy it after it all was over! Those kind of trips keep me going back! Better luck is coming, I promise!

TNBronzeback
05-29-2016, 09:18 PM
All in all i really did have a good time. Lol.
And yeah Mike, those trips are always funny to reflect on once it all falls into place.
Ive gotta say, i really thought i was gonna get some bass off my last spot. Main lake rock bar. Steep on one side and tapers on the others. I threw it all. Cranks, worms, creatures, jigs, flukes, senkos. One nice cat just blitzed the craw/creature plastic and slimed 3ft off line when he rolled so that was fun! lol.
Jay, i almost snapped my favorite rod trolling, same situation, trolling a crank, bottom came up fast....i had the rod locked in the holded and it was doubled over to the breaking point by the time i seen it. Luckily i was able to engage the spool before disaster! lol.
On a side note, i can now speak for the quality of the Academy Sports Helios Rods! lmao.
Man, them frogs at night are LOUD when they are croaking just outside of your tent! lol.
I think we may look into a place on Dale Hollow next. If anybody has any good camping sites in mind. Electric/boat hookups would be a plus.