PDA

View Full Version : topwater priest hybrids

Headhunter
05-25-2016, 06:43 AM
Absolutely hammered them the last 2 days. mainly a redfin bite and smaller fish for the most part (4-5 lbs) but had 3 that were from 7-10 lbs. Either catching or hooking one most every cast.

Travis C.
05-25-2016, 08:35 AM
Memorial Day weekend traffic may kill the daytime topwater bite. :D

I gotta get after them. Thanks for the report!

jaybird
05-25-2016, 09:07 AM
Agree the pleasure boats may make it tough this weekend. I plan on being on the water at sunrise. Anyone using live bait for hybirds and are you having any success?

XxthejuicexX
05-25-2016, 09:09 AM
I got into some Hybrids and big whites up in the river Sunday. Swimbaits and Live shad.

Headhunter
05-25-2016, 05:08 PM
If you are trying to find the fish I have been catching the topwater bite is over by 5 a.m.

Cal Stroupe
05-25-2016, 05:23 PM
I am planning on coming down from Fort Campbell some time this weekend. I am gonna try for some whites and hybrids. I know the pleasure boats will be out so I am looking for a night and early morning bite. I have never been to JPP and was wondering if anyone could help me out as far as where to put in and what section of the lake/river to fish. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

XxthejuicexX
05-26-2016, 08:08 AM
My fish are in the Jefferson springs area. I know some guys that did real well around Mona. I'm sure HH's fish are south of the Hobson pike bridge.

Headhunter
05-26-2016, 08:34 AM
From cooks' area to Hobson pike bridge. It is fun, caught a pile of fish again this morning. BUT it is still tough. Wherever you catch them one night don't fish it again for several days. For some reason I can't catch them in the same place 2 days in a row and from my experience it makes no sense. I cover a lot of water until I get a hit or catch a fish and then I will fish that area thoroughly. I am still catching fish many times in places I never have before. All I can figure is the bait is really moving around, so the fish are to.

TNBronzeback
05-26-2016, 09:08 AM
im camping on one of the islands tomorrow night and saturday night so im gonna give this night hybrid fishing a shot. ive got all the usual suspects in the lure category so maybe i can put it all together, if not, i will be getting some casting practice! LOL.

brewer88
05-26-2016, 10:19 AM
HH,
do you look for boiling fish/bait or are you just throwin topwater in likely areas to get a hit?

Headhunter
05-26-2016, 10:52 AM
baitfish, rarely see fish blowing up.

brewer88
05-26-2016, 11:11 AM
ok, thanks for the info man, topwater is my favorite so I may have to give it a try. I went to JPP a couple times last year and did see some boiling (don't remember the time of year) in the morning, may have been whites IDK.

agelesssone
05-26-2016, 08:40 PM
ok, thanks for the info man, topwater is my favorite so I may have to give it a try. I went to JPP a couple times last year and did see some boiling (don't remember the time of year) in the morning, may have been whites IDK.

We've been seeing some topwater action early in the morning, but it's mostly whites and smaller hybrids.
I can't seem to get my clients to hit the water at 4 AM to catch that topwater bite that HH has been getting!

XxthejuicexX
05-27-2016, 07:30 AM
We've been seeing some topwater action early in the morning, but it's mostly whites and smaller hybrids.
I can't seem to get my clients to hit the water at 4 AM to catch that topwater bite that HH has been getting!

I love to fish and I'm not getting on the water at 4am, HH can have all that action himself. :)

Headhunter
05-27-2016, 08:43 AM
I love to fish and I'm not getting on the water at 4am, HH can have all that action himself. :)

That is the best part about the whole deal. The fish I catch are catchable (it is about over for this year) from 11 pm to about 5 am (it used to always last til 6:30 am or so but the last couple years they have been quiting early. I almost never see another boat and if I do, I leave, even if I am catching fish, I will leave fish as quickly and as without being noticed as I can. I have worked hard for several years to learn this and the main thing I have learned is you CANNOT know where they will be at. I catch them on flats, on deep banks, on rock, on mud, shallow, out over the channel, etc. and I only fish topwater. The hardest thing for most to understand or get over, is that, for the most part, you will not see any fish busting, you will probably see bait flipping, but no fish on top except for the ones you catch.

Cal Stroupe
05-27-2016, 10:06 AM
HH, did you go out this morning. Was wondering if the storms made the water muddy or not....I'm planning on coming down Saturday evening g and fishing all night. Hope to get a mess of hybrids and whites.

Travis C.
05-27-2016, 03:55 PM

It's been years since I got up a 4am to go fishing...that's usually when I am heading home from the lake. :D

Cal Stroupe
05-28-2016, 01:52 PM
Looking to come down and try for the hybrids tonight and was wondering if anyone has been on priest. Anyone doing any good?