PDA

View Full Version : Mini Trout Magnets and Fly Fishing

tcintn
05-24-2016, 03:45 PM
For about two months now I have been fishing with just Mini Trout Magnets. I have evaluated all colors and different jig head colors. I decided to paint some black ones chartreuse since we were having success with the regular TM on chartreuse jigs. Today while fishing the Caney for three hours I was using the chartreuse jig and white mini. I was able to catch 50 and the last one was well over 20" Brown which broke my fly rod.
I have found that in slow water the olive,red or black on black work great. Since I only have one eye which I can see well out of,I use an indicator or a TM float. I have consistently caught slot Rainbows and large Browns. The browns have been caught mostly on the white and black on chartreuse.

Some othe things I have started doing is I am putting a tippet ring on my leader and then tying my tippet to tippet ring on end of leader.I also super glue the magnet body onto the jig to keep it from pulling off.

If you get a chance and you fly fish,give them a try. It is something you can use when the trout are not hitting flies.

Travis C.
05-24-2016, 04:21 PM
Nice job Ed.

I have been using tippet rings for a while now on my fly lines. Some snub at it but I don't think it affects the tippet/leader or drift that much if at all.

It's never a bad trip when a big fish breaks your rod. :)

lforet2002
05-24-2016, 04:47 PM
I've just discovered trout fishing, but have yet to learn how to use a fly rod yet.. Its on my list of things to do..