PDA

View Full Version : Faulty Ulterra magnets

Alphahawk
05-20-2016, 07:25 AM
Well Dale Hollow was a bust. Not because of the fish but my Ulterra trolling motor would not stow. So there I was having to cross a lake that was white capping with the motor sticking straight up in the air. Got back to ramp and went through the manual stow procedure. Got it strapped down and headed home. Called tech support and seems my motor....and many others...have magnets that can fall out. So was told when I take it in they will install new magnets along with whatever else was wrong. Well the service center I have to use told me could be a week or more to get to me and find out what is wrong.....didn't want to be without a boat for that long so fixed it myself. Reseated magnets...reoriented the head and all is good...for now. Just a heads up about the Ulterra with the faulty magnets. If you call with your serial number they can tell you which magnets you have. Since mine is working again going to use it until it breaks again. My opinion is this should be a recall. I am calling them again this morning and am going to try to find out why the service center in Hendersonville can't order the magnets and when they come in give me a call. I would only be out about 2 hours instead of maybe a week or more. I know this should be in fishing gear forum but I know a lot on here have Ulterra's and wanted to give heads up.

Regards

Buccaneer
05-20-2016, 07:49 AM
Alpha - Contact Jones Trolling Motor Service and speak to John Jones. Great guy and he can help with anything you need - http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com/

SalmonDaze
05-20-2016, 08:05 AM
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Sad to say, it continues to prove correct my theory of these units: so often manufactured and supported as "disposable items."

Looking for new units last year, I decided to purchase according to their marketing plan: bought the cheapest Chinese import I could find and will just replace with another when it goes down.

I figure I can buy 5 "watersnake" brands over the next 15 years and still not pay for 2 MinnKoterGuide units. Purchase with Amazon prime and new unit in 2 days.

I'd prefer to purchase quality and pay for it, but I'm just not seeing the value play; I'd rather be on the water with something that works than sitting in the garage with a beautiful trolling motor with all the bells and whistles and a prop that doesn't turn.

Headhunter
05-20-2016, 08:33 AM
Love my minn kota. have never had one that didn't last for years and never had an issue with one.

TNBronzeback
05-20-2016, 08:39 AM
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Sad to say, it continues to prove correct my theory of these units: so often manufactured and supported as "disposable items."

Looking for new units last year, I decided to purchase according to their marketing plan: bought the cheapest Chinese import I could find and will just replace with another when it goes down.

I figure I can buy 5 "watersnake" brands over the next 15 years and still not pay for 2 MinnKoterGuide units. Purchase with Amazon prime and new unit in 2 days.

I'd prefer to purchase quality and pay for it, but I'm just not seeing the value play; I'd rather be on the water with something that works than sitting in the garage with a beautiful trolling motor with all the bells and whistles and a prop that doesn't turn.

you are right about that! price now a days has zero reflection on the quality of the item in too many instances.

Alphahawk
05-20-2016, 09:31 AM
Alpha - Contact Jones Trolling Motor Service and speak to John Jones. Great guy and he can help with anything you need - http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com/

Thanks...but my motor has a 2 year warranty. So I have to, and will use the authorized service centers.....they can fix it on their dime. Hopefully mine will continue on just fine.

Regards

Heiny57
05-20-2016, 09:44 AM
Those have been problematic. I have a Terrova and had to have new seals installed. Under warranty luckily.

Alphahawk
05-20-2016, 09:48 AM

Well I have worked the snot out of this unit.....more in 8 months than most would do in two years or more. I wanted an auto stow and deploy.....Minn Kota are the only one who makes them. They are not meant to be thrown away...just might take a week or so to get it back. This was just a post to alert people who own an Ulterra that this could be a problem. My unit does not sit in the garage so I can look at it....I would say one day's problem out of all the days it has been on the water is not a problem. Forums are meant to inform...that is what I was trying to do....alert Ulterra owners. As of now this was one isolated problem...if it becomes a continuous thing...which I don't think it will then I will look else where.

Regards

Alphahawk
05-20-2016, 10:19 AM
Called Minn Kota and they informed me depending on serial number of trolling motor there is an update....they don't like to use the term recall. The update is for the magnets and a belt block in the head of unit. I was told to call my service center and inform them. I did that and they told me they would do that and order the parts. But I cannot get same day service on installation....even though it is less than a hour to do the updates. Tracker Marine Service Center does on a first come first serve basis. So boat will have to be left there maybe just a day or two. The good news is I can do this at my convenience.

Regards

agelesssone
05-20-2016, 11:20 PM
Welcome to the Ulterra club, alphahawk.
Tracker Marine has had my Ulterra for 3 weeks now with no communication from them as to what the problem is with my Ulterra, (2nd time it's been in there since I bought it in Feb).
I called MinnKota this morning to see what is going on with my motor repairs (oh, I've done been through the falling out magnets, got all the replacements in my tool box after I replaced one of the missing rare earth magnets from one of mine from a picture hanging wire setup).
It seems the board that needs to be replaced in my TM are on backorder and have been for awhile.
I had to go and pay $900 for a used Terrova so I could continue to do my guide business.

Alphahawk
05-20-2016, 11:26 PM
Welcome to the Ulterra club, alphahawk.
Tracker Marine has had my Ulterra for 3 weeks now with no communication from them as to what the problem is with my Ulterra, (2nd time it's been in there since I bought it in Feb).
I called MinnKota this morning to see what is going on with my motor repairs (oh, I've done been through the falling out magnets, got all the replacements in my tool box after I replaced one of the missing rare earth magnets from one of mine from a picture hanging wire setup).
It seems the board that needs to be replaced in my TM are on backorder and have been for awhile.
I had to go and pay $900 for a used Terrova so I could continue to do my guide business.

Ouch!

Regards

skillet
05-21-2016, 11:52 AM
[QUOTE=agelesssone;72671]Welcome to the Ulterra club, alphahawk.

I had to go and pay $900 for a used Terrova so I could continue to do my guide business.[/

I hate to hear that...but on the bright side you have a spare. I know you didn't want to have to do it that way.

aero320
05-21-2016, 08:16 PM
Anyone remember the Minn Kota Genesis? That was their first attempt with power deploy. They finally gave up on that project. Mine was replaced with a Saltwater Power Drive with Auto Pilot and Co-Pilot by Minn Kota.

TNBronzeback
05-21-2016, 08:52 PM
I like the idea behind the "everything power" but i think they need to beef up the engineering. Like Alpha said, he uses his feature alot, not abuse the feature just by his style of fishing.
For my river jigging purposes, i dont think that feature would last me one winter. I stow/deploy 50 times a day or more when im fishing my short sweet stretch below carthage.
My current TM is a Minn Kota Power Drive V2 and it is a total beast to stow/deploy and i totally despise the electric foot pedal....its slow and im not a fan of using juice to turn the motor.... but, with the long shaft needed on my boat, not many options in the price range. I do love the long cable though. In high winds i can fish the back of the boat to reduce wind drag from not being in the front up high. But, reading reviews, that electronic pedal has a short lifespan from the contacts either getting worn down from foot pressure or grit/debris fouling the contacts. I could gob some grease on them to slow that down, but again, in my opinion, its under engineered for heavy use. Especially with thick, heavy winter boots on, i know i put alot of pressure on it cause you lose the light feeling due to the thick footwear. It works for now though! if i did alot of trolling, i would certainly get the remote option though.

Alphahawk
05-21-2016, 09:30 PM
Anyone remember the Minn Kota Genesis? That was their first attempt with power deploy. They finally gave up on that project. Mine was replaced with a Saltwater Power Drive with Auto Pilot and Co-Pilot by Minn Kota.

Yeah I remember that attempt. I like the auto stow, deploy feature though. After having this one apart the design is very simple. The problem is in the mechanical part of the "electro mechanical" of the Ulterra. The build is simply not sturdy enough on the mechanics.

Regards

Alphahawk
05-21-2016, 09:59 PM
I like the idea behind the "everything power" but i think they need to beef up the engineering. Like Alpha said, he uses his feature alot, not abuse the feature just by his style of fishing.
For my river jigging purposes, i dont think that feature would last me one winter. I stow/deploy 50 times a day or more when im fishing my short sweet stretch below carthage.
My current TM is a Minn Kota Power Drive V2 and it is a total beast to stow/deploy and i totally despise the electric foot pedal....its slow and im not a fan of using juice to turn the motor.... but, with the long shaft needed on my boat, not many options in the price range. I do love the long cable though. In high winds i can fish the back of the boat to reduce wind drag from not being in the front up high. But, reading reviews, that electronic pedal has a short lifespan from the contacts either getting worn down from foot pressure or grit/debris fouling the contacts. I could gob some grease on them to slow that down, but again, in my opinion, its under engineered for heavy use. Especially with thick, heavy winter boots on, i know i put alot of pressure on it cause you lose the light feeling due to the thick footwear. It works for now though! if i did alot of trolling, i would certainly get the remote option though.

After having mine apart and seeing it...I agree completely. The electronics in it are sound....well the software could use some work. The mechanics are nowhere near as sturdy as they should be. The lift motor is cheaply made. The slip ring assembly is also cheaply made. That alone is going to cause a very high "mean time between failures" rate. But we...and others own them...so we are stuck. I was reading today that pro guys are on the water 300 days a year. No way these motors can hold up to that. I assume since many of them are pro staff guys they quietly get a new motor instantly when theirs go bad. What is sad for not a whole lot more money all of that could be beefed up. All I can do is use it until it breaks again. Fishing the next 3 days straight....hope it holds up. Right now everything is eating and I want to be in on it...LOL.

Regards

TNBronzeback
05-21-2016, 10:17 PM
Oh yeah! i totally agree with ya! As long as they back thier product up warranty-wise....its just a headache....but if they dont...then its a problem.
I dont watch many fishing shows, do alot of pros use that motor or do most of them still rely on the fast in/out of the pull cables?
I wish mine had a pull cable! lol.
Ive gotta push a lever down and slide the motor out a few inches to get it to pivot, then slide the rest of the way. Getting it to slide the first few inches can be tough.

Heiny57
05-21-2016, 10:47 PM
The old school cable control are still king and last forever. Problem is new school remote control has not been engineered for longevity it seems.

They are trying to do to much, to cheaply. Beef it all up and users will pay for it, if it works. IMHO

Alphahawk
05-22-2016, 10:13 PM
Fished it hard today. It held together...LOL.

Regards

SalmonDaze
05-23-2016, 11:20 AM
After having mine apart and seeing it...I agree completely. The electronics in it are sound....well the software could use some work. The mechanics are nowhere near as sturdy as they should be. The lift motor is cheaply made. The slip ring assembly is also cheaply made. That alone is going to cause a very high "mean time between failures" rate. But we...and others own them...so we are stuck. I was reading today that pro guys are on the water 300 days a year. No way these motors can hold up to that. I assume since many of them are pro staff guys they quietly get a new motor instantly when theirs go bad. What is sad for not a whole lot more money all of that could be beefed up. All I can do is use it until it breaks again. Fishing the next 3 days straight....hope it holds up. Right now everything is eating and I want to be in on it...LOL.

Regards

"they quietly get a new motor instantly when theirs go bad."

Also known as "disposable."
:rolleyes:

CreekWalker
05-23-2016, 12:38 PM
Oh yeah! i totally agree with ya! As long as they back thier product up warranty-wise....its just a headache....but if they dont...then its a problem.
I dont watch many fishing shows, do alot of pros use that motor or do most of them still rely on the fast in/out of the pull cables?
I wish mine had a pull cable! lol.
Ive gotta push a lever down and slide the motor out a few inches to get it to pivot, then slide the rest of the way. Getting it to slide the first few inches can be tough.

I just bought a Terrova last week. I had some trouble getting the lever "down" to slide the motor out - but - when I quit using force and tried a little finesse it is really more of an "out" to allow it to go "down" then "slide". Once I figured it out it was easy. Love the motor! Even though I'm on a little 16' aluminum I'll never go back to a 12v motor again!

aero320
05-23-2016, 08:47 PM

You can add the Ipilot to the Power Drive V2!