PDA

View Full Version : What is it about...

lforet2002
05-19-2016, 05:59 PM
the trout magnet that I keep hearing??? Kinda like Gordons thread on rigs, I've gotten hooked on trout fishing and would like to hear you guys thoughts about it.. I've been fishing with a buddy who is a seasoned trout fisherman and he just has doubts about the magnet.. Watched a few videos about it and it seems pretty legit to me..To say the least though I went ahead and bought a 55 piece kit and plan to try it out this weekend down at the Caney.. Any pointers on rigging and color selection would be appreciated..

Alphahawk
05-19-2016, 09:16 PM
the trout magnet that I keep hearing??? Kinda like Gordons thread on rigs, I've gotten hooked on trout fishing and would like to hear you guys thoughts about it.. I've been fishing with a buddy who is a seasoned trout fisherman and he just has doubts about the magnet.. Watched a few videos about it and it seems pretty legit to me..To say the least though I went ahead and bought a 55 piece kit and plan to try it out this weekend down at the Caney.. Any pointers on rigging and color selection would be appreciated..

If you will do a forum search you will find thousands of threads on here about fish caught with Trout Magnets. It is not for everyone......but for trout, Gills....Smallies....white bass....it is hard to beat. I could post plenty of pics of trout caught on Trout Magnets....but try it for yourself. If you have any questions after all that will be happy to help you out.

Regards

tkwalker
05-19-2016, 10:44 PM
Go to the top right corner of any page (Google Search) ... Type in Trout Magnets ... check the fishingtn dot ... and search ... It's magic ... <'TK>< ;)

SAMBOLIE
05-20-2016, 06:28 AM
I have limited trout fishing experience and the TM's have worked for me.
I had read so much about their ability to catch fish that I hid them in the bushes on my first trout fishing trip because I was afraid the trout would jump out and take them. They aren't that good, however, I caught trout with no experience.
IMO the key is presentation. Same as with any bait.
Light line (2 or 4 lb), light or UL rod. I also think the TM jig head adds an action that fish like.
They are a staple in by tackle box because I have caught about everything but Stripers and Hybrids using them.
I also like the Slider pan fish grub (paddle tail) in black and the Berkley Gulp Hellgrammite.

Travis C.
05-20-2016, 10:10 AM
I am definitely a fan of them and they go where I go when fishing. They have caught about every species I have chased in TN plus a few saltwater fish in the gulf. Catching croaker on them with 2lb test for bait on my bait rod was a blast.

lforet2002
05-20-2016, 04:53 PM
Thanks, I think I got a pretty good look at how it works after doing the search as suggested..Spent a couple hours last night watching videos... Will put it to the test tomorrow morning on the Caney.. We plan on canoeing from the dam to the rest stop..I'll post the results when I get back..

lforet2002
05-20-2016, 04:59 PM
Oh and one more thing, I've noticed some smallies caught with the magnet too, do they have a good population of smallmouth in the Caney?? Just wondering cause I have never caught a smallmouth at all..Its one of those fish on my bucket list.. I've been targeting large catfish the last few years and never really had the opportunity to target them..

TroutFiend
05-20-2016, 09:55 PM
They are definitely SM in the Caney. They are hard to target due to the abundance of trout though in my opinion as other species also. I have had my best SM catch ratio downstream of Betty's Island. TM's are hard to beat for catch quantity, use the float and the twitch method the fish will usually tell you want they want. If the twitching method gets slow go with a twitch-twitch-pop retrieve for a reaction bite.

Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TroutFiend
05-20-2016, 09:57 PM
Almost forgot the most important part. Use the fluorocarbon leader!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Travis C.
05-23-2016, 08:30 AM
Oh and one more thing, I've noticed some smallies caught with the magnet too, do they have a good population of smallmouth in the Caney?? Just wondering cause I have never caught a smallmouth at all..Its one of those fish on my bucket list.

They are in there but to go and specifically target them would be tough. I would go up Smith Fork Creek which enters the river about mid-way down from the dam to confluence. It is full of smallies and a very good place to catch some. You may have to work your way upstream towards Temperance Hall but they are there.