PDA

View Full Version : Jug Fishing JPP

JKTrevecca
05-08-2016, 04:52 PM
Went out on JPP last night jug fishing with two buddies. Had a blast. This was the first time I've ever intended to do this as my sole method of catching fish and it was a lot of fun. Very relaxing and action-packed. My brother-in-law made a dozen out of pool noodles, pvc, steed rod, and reflective tape. We had a few others and were chasing them all evening. 11 keeper cat fish. Good times!

MNfisher
05-08-2016, 04:54 PM
Fun stuff!

Mike

Alphahawk
05-08-2016, 05:10 PM
I know that was fun. It has been 45 years or so since I did that. The other day at Dale Hollow I was back in a hollow and there were about a dozen of those pool noodle types back in there. All of them had a fish on them. When I would troll to get a look some of them were so big they would pull the noodle all the way under and make a run. Wasn't long until a boat came to collect their bounty. I followed them around and watched them retrieve each one. They loaded the boat with some big catfish.

Regards

dcfisherman
05-08-2016, 07:44 PM
Never tried jug fishing but it sounds fun! What depth area were you dropping them?

chaseasl
05-08-2016, 10:19 PM
Good deal

JKTrevecca
05-08-2016, 10:29 PM
Dc.... I wasn't too scientific. I basically looked for coves just off the main channel with the wind blowing into the cove. We'd bait and drop the jugs while trolling on auto pilot from point to point at the mouth of the cove. Then... We'd usually end up with 1-2 fish to chase by the time we got all the judge get out. I caught about 60 shad to start the evening and we used a mixture of live shad injured shad and cut up shad. I'd guess most jugs were set in about 15 fow but immediately started drifting into shallower water. We ended up with 11 channel cats 4 drum 1 gar and a nice turtle.... here are some pix.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

JKTrevecca
05-08-2016, 10:45 PM

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

deezelteck
05-09-2016, 09:27 AM
Nice... jugging is the only way to get a mess of fish in a hurry.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

IdahoBoy
05-09-2016, 10:07 AM
I love jug fishing. We been jug fishing in southern Louisiana down in some of them bayous. We hammer the gar down there. Largest was 50+ inches and over 40lbs. Haven't done it for catfish, but sure it would be good from the sounds of it.

We'd use a large treble hook with shad attached with steel leader to the noodle. Lots of time the fish would take off and submerge the noodle like Alpha was saying... we'd use a naked treble on a heavy fishing pole and snag the noodle and reel it it.

The best is how we'd finish them... with a .410 to the head.

Congrats on your catch!