PDA

View Full Version : Two fish...two tires.

Alphahawk
05-06-2016, 06:42 PM
Only two fish at Dale Hollow today. Caught the two Smallies on a Midnight Blue ThunderHawk Dancer mounted on a 1/16 ounce ThunderHawk Micro fry jig head. The reel was spooled with SOS 2# test line. Didn't get the first bluegill bite. Water temps this morning had dropped to 64 degrees. Better than getting skunked and a lot of fun on the Yamaga Blanks UL rod. Boat trailer tire exploded today on 840 at 70 MPH. Thank God all that was lost was a couple of trailer tires...replaced both. Life is good!

Regards

TNBronzeback
05-06-2016, 07:27 PM
Thats a bummer for the tire! glad that was the worst that happened though.
Ive never seen a tire blow like that before....all those "slices" going across it like that.....crazy!

notorious
05-06-2016, 07:49 PM
Tow Master tires have earned the reputation as Blow Masters. The RV world shuns them like Kryptonite. I replaced them on my 5th Wheel with only about 3K miles and they already had belt separations. The guys at the tire store were shocked I made it there.

chaseasl
05-06-2016, 10:59 PM
Pretty fish

commdd
05-07-2016, 03:10 PM
most trailer tires are rated for 55 to 60 mph max, also proper inflation in very important, glad you and your gear are safe!

Lepomis
05-07-2016, 04:20 PM
I went through tire replacement on my utility trailer a couple of years ago. Got the cheap ones at PepBoys, and went through six- yes six!- tires before I got two that could be balanced well enough. The first four bounced like crazy even with a loaded trailer. At least the Pepboys were cooperative and sympathetic; give them credit for that.

About two years ago, after the above experience, I decided to replace my boat trailer tires more because they were 27 years old than because of the extent of wear. I ended up with Carlisle USA Trail bias-ply tires from Walmart that were made in USA. They seem to be good tires. No excessive rod tip bouncing visible in the rear view.

Fortunately, I've never had a tire blowout on a trailer or vehicle, but years ago I saw an underinflated, overloaded boat trailer tire let go on a rig in front of me on the road. At just about 55 mph it really did look like it exploded when it reached the critical point. Went from riding on an underinflated tire to riding on a rim in about one second. I believe they let go explosively because they're spinning so fast in relation to the towing vehicle, especially the smaller ones.

Alphahawk
05-07-2016, 04:46 PM
most trailer tires are rated for 55 to 60 mph max, also proper inflation in very important, glad you and your gear are safe!

Thanks....but if you check many trailer tires have been rated for speeds as high as 87 MPH for quite a few years now. The tires I had on my Malone Kayak Trailer were rated for any posted speed in the United States...some states have 85 MPH. The tires that came with the boat were rated for 87 MPH. The tires I just purchased are rated for 87 MPH. Now that doesn't mean I am going to go that fast......70 is it for me. Heck....Kumho has a trailer tire rated for 99 MPH. I know from reading, for every person you find that swears by a certain brand you can find a 100 who say that brand is crap. So to me trailers tires are a crap shoot. In looking back I think I knew I had a tire failing. It occurred to me that for about a 6 week period I had felt some vibration while towing in the 65-70 MPH range. I checked the tires.....kept them inflated to 50 psi....had them balanced.....kept bearings properly lubed...thought all was well. I took the trailer with new tires out for a test run...vibration is gone....no matter the speed. So in looking back on it the tire was having problems 6 weeks ago. Talked to a friend in KY who has more gear on trailers than all of us on the forum and when I told him about the vibration he told me he has experienced that a lot....and when you do...get some new ones put on ASAP. You can bet I won't disregard any vibration from now on....lesson learned.

Regards

Alphahawk
05-07-2016, 04:48 PM
I went through tire replacement on my utility trailer a couple of years ago. Got the cheap ones at PepBoys, and went through six- yes six!- tires before I got two that could be balanced well enough. The first four bounced like crazy even with a loaded trailer. At least the Pepboys were cooperative and sympathetic; give them credit for that.

About two years ago, after the above experience, I decided to replace my boat trailer tires more because they were 27 years old than because of the extent of wear. I ended up with Carlisle USA Trail bias-ply tires from Walmart that were made in USA. They seem to be good tires. No excessive rod tip bouncing visible in the rear view.

Fortunately, I've never had a tire blowout on a trailer or vehicle, but years ago I saw an underinflated, overloaded boat trailer tire let go on a rig in front of me on the road. At just about 55 mph it really did look like it exploded when it reached the critical point. Went from riding on an underinflated tire to riding on a rim in about one second. I believe they let go explosively because they're spinning so fast in relation to the towing vehicle, especially the smaller ones.

I just bought some Carlisle's from Discount Tire.....of course they are not made in USA anymore. Hope I get good use out of them.

Regards

commdd
05-07-2016, 06:02 PM
alpha, i appreciate your reply, i am aware that trailer tires have improved but reading the fishing boards across the country its still difficult to have a lot of faith in any of them... keep on rockin and thanks for the report! thats a big water temp drop for a big lake!

Alphahawk
05-07-2016, 06:11 PM
alpha, i appreciate your reply, i am aware that trailer tires have improved but reading the fishing boards across the country its still difficult to have a lot of faith in any of them... keep on rockin and thanks for the report! thats a big water temp drop for a big lake!

Yeah...that's the point, one doesn't know which tire is good...if any.....LOL. That is a huge drop for that lake. The reason for no Gill bites....but going to hit it again this week. Hope my new tires stay together..LOL.......scared the poop out of me. Lucky I didn't have more damage.

Regards

Heiny57
05-07-2016, 11:02 PM
It seems sense tire manufacturing went oversees there has been more issues with trailer tires than before. I have a travel trailer and belong to a TT forum and the "which tire is best" threads are always entertaining to say the least.

I think it is a coin toss these days for tires.