PDA

View Full Version : Dale Hollow 05/03/2016

Alphahawk
05-03-2016, 06:01 PM
Spent a couple of hours fishing Dale Hollow today. It was cold...the wind was bad at times out on the flats. Tough conditions for an older UL angler. Had my Yamaga Blanks 6' 10" TZ Jig Head Special Ajing UL rod, with a Daiwa Ignis Type R 2505H reel on it spooled with SOS 2# test line. The lure today was a Bison colored Trout Magnet on a 3/32 ounce jig head with a #6 hook. The Smallies on the flats are in 7-10 feet of water. Highest water temps I found today was 70-70.5 degrees. Hooked 3 big fish on the flats before the wind made me want to find a quite cove. I landed the 18 inch fish and one threw the hook on a jump...the hooked pulled out as I had the 3rd fish to the net. The good news is on the fish I landed, and the one I got to the side of the boat there were about 4-5 big Smallies trying to take the lure away from the fish I had hooked....they are swarming. Found a cove as best protected as I could and caught over a dozen of what many call buck bass....Smallies in the 12-14 inch range. Caught around 40 Gills all cookie cutter fish...8-8.5 inches. The Gills and shorter Smallies came off rocky points, and or bluffs. A lot of Gills.....and other fish showing on the di in about 10-15 feet of water in coves that come up to nice gravel or sandy bottom....I assume Gills are staging getting ready to go on bed. The Gills at Dale Hollow eat well and are quite chunky.....I am yet to get into the good Gills that Dale Hollow produces.....no shell crackers today either. I had a few hours of drag pulling fun and came home. Life is good!

Regards

Halli
05-03-2016, 06:36 PM
Nice smallie glad it was a great day!

Mikeyrrt
05-03-2016, 08:47 PM
Nice smalls

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hunterchub
05-05-2016, 03:29 PM
I hope the gills are a bit bigger than last year. I got spoiled catching those 11-12 inch bluegills. Last year was hard to find 10 inch fish. This year its been as you call it. COOKIE CUTTERS. Will be playing around this weekend if weather permits.
Chub

Alphahawk
05-05-2016, 05:01 PM
I hope the gills are a bit bigger than last year. I got spoiled catching those 11-12 inch bluegills. Last year was hard to find 10 inch fish. This year its been as you call it. COOKIE CUTTERS. Will be playing around this weekend if weather permits.
Chub

Well I hope I can get some 10 inch Gills....somewhere....and I hope I can get some at Dale Hollow. But I have to tell you...I have caught thousands of good Gills...in a lot of lakes.....I would rather catch 8 inch Gills out of Dale Hollow than 9 inch Gills anywhere else. They have the broadest shoulders on Gills I have seen.

Regards