PDA

View Full Version : JPP Striped Fish Everywhere

jad2t
05-01-2016, 08:38 PM
I didn't find any big ones, I consider over 20 inches to be picture post worthy, but dang they are all over the lower end. Massive boiling blowups can be spotted from far away. Swim baits and topwaters are killing them. Hybrids and Whites are as shallow as a couple feet. I went with xxTheJuicexx last weekend and we tore them up. I went Friday morning and had the same result. Get after them while it's still good!

They also make fantastic fish tacos. Just made another round of them tonight.

XxthejuicexX
05-01-2016, 09:21 PM
I'm going somewhere Wednesday after work to start the break in for the new lower unit. I can't decide if I want to go back and chase those striped fish or head to Normandy and scan for new spots. Last Sunday was fun.

Tnarcher
05-01-2016, 10:28 PM
Good job! I'm doing something wrong obviously. I fished this evening after mass from around six till dark. Only caught four. Three whites and a big ole crappie.
I was on the lower end but just didn't see much top water action going on. I seem to be catching a lot more white bass this year than in years past.
I wish I would have just stayed home because I apparently left a door unlocked on my jeep (I have to manually lock the passenger doors because of bad actuators) and had a LOT of tools stolen. Well over 1000$ worth of stuff I need in the morning for work. Didn't even notice until I got home. Hate boat ramps!!

Heiny57
05-02-2016, 06:52 AM
Good job! I'm doing something wrong obviously. I fished this evening after mass from around six till dark. Only caught four. Three whites and a big ole crappie.
I was on the lower end but just didn't see much top water action going on. I seem to be catching a lot more white bass this year than in years past.
I wish I would have just stayed home because I apparently left a door unlocked on my jeep (I have to manually lock the passenger doors because of bad actuators) and had a LOT of tools stolen. Well over 1000$ worth of stuff I need in the morning for work. Didn't even notice until I got home. Hate boat ramps!!

That sucks, sorry to hear that, I lost a spare tire last year. What ramp were you at.

Heiny57
05-02-2016, 06:54 AM
We caught a few Friday.

jad2t
05-02-2016, 07:16 AM
We caught a few Friday.

Very nice! That's a good sized Striper for JPP.

jad2t
05-02-2016, 07:18 AM

Man I'm sorry to hear you learned the hard way about JPP boat ramps. Unfortunately they attract some of Tennessee's lower class of people and there are multiple vehicle break ins. I never leave anything of value in my Jeep and often will leave my doors unlocked too. Go ahead and go through it if you want to steal my hat, jack, water bottle, etc. Just don't break my window!

Headhunter
05-02-2016, 07:52 AM
It is decent, still not great. Caught something over 30 hybrids Saturday morning, several over 10, biggest was 12. Caught 12 Sunday morning, biggest was 9. This morning, was the best, caught close to 40 and many in the 9 to 11 lb range with one that was just over 13 on the bogas. This morning they were eating a pro sizzle jr. The cork and fluke overall is still the best bait in my opinion and they are still confusing, I am finding them in a different place everytime I go.

jad2t
05-02-2016, 07:57 AM
It is decent, still not great. Caught something over 30 hybrids Saturday morning, several over 10, biggest was 12. Caught 12 Sunday morning, biggest was 9. This morning, was the best, caught close to 40 and many in the 9 to 11 lb range with one that was just over 13 on the bogas. This morning they were eating a pro sizzle jr. The cork and fluke overall is still the best bait in my opinion and they are still confusing, I am finding them in a different place everytime I go.

What exactly is that setup and how do you fish it?

XxthejuicexX
05-02-2016, 08:07 AM

Man, I hate to hear that. I've never lost anything at JPP but had someone break into my tool box on my truck a couple years ago on G-Ville. Stole most everything out of it.

Headhunter
05-02-2016, 08:32 AM
buy a casting cork, I got most of mine on a trip to florida, they are hard to find here, starky's used to have them. They are orange and white, have line tie on either end. I use 30 lb power pro superslick on the reel and and run a leader from the cork to the fluke. 5/0 straight gamakatsu hook with a pearl white, white ice or chartreuse pearl super fluke (many colors work) and throw and reel in popping the cork, not for the purpose of popping the cork, but to get the fluke to move behind the cork. I never measure but use about a 24 to 30" leader.

Some people strip a jumpin minnow and use it as the cork.

I will add a pic later.

http://ga-fl-fishingreport.vpweb.com/0_0_0_0_248_315_csupload_65705668.jpg?u=1618804248

this is real close, except of course, a 5/0 gamakatsu and superfluke in place of the lure. Appears to be the cork I use also.

Headhunter
05-02-2016, 08:36 AM

what ramp?

jad2t
05-02-2016, 08:55 AM
buy a casting cork, I got most of mine on a trip to florida, they are hard to find here, starky's used to have them. They are orange and white, have line tie on either end. I use 30 lb power pro superslick on the reel and and run a leader from the cork to the fluke. 5/0 straight gamakatsu hook with a pearl white, white ice or chartreuse pearl super fluke (many colors work) and throw and reel in popping the cork, not for the purpose of popping the cork, but to get the fluke to move behind the cork. I never measure but use about a 24 to 30" leader.

Some people strip a jumpin minnow and use it as the cork.

I will add a pic later.

http://ga-fl-fishingreport.vpweb.com/0_0_0_0_248_315_csupload_65705668.jpg?u=1618804248

this is real close, except of course, a 5/0 gamakatsu and superfluke in place of the lure. Appears to be the cork I use also.

I've got a couple of those corks. So you aren't just giving it a pop and then pausing for a bit? You are steady reeling and popping the cork the entire time to make the fluke dance?

bluemarlin
05-02-2016, 09:32 AM
If anyone needs a partner I would be happy to supply gas and food. Currently boatless and recovering from a heart procedure. nedbenz@gmail.com

Headhunter
05-02-2016, 09:58 AM
I've got a couple of those corks. So you aren't just giving it a pop and then pausing for a bit? You are steady reeling and popping the cork the entire time to make the fluke dance?

I keep it moving.

jad2t
05-02-2016, 10:36 AM
I keep it moving.

Thanks for the info. This weekend I'll be chasing turkeys but next weekend if my work schedule stays as is, I'll have to be on night shifts for a little over a week and will have to stay on a nights schedule through the weekend. If the weather is good I'll just fish all night looking for that topwater/cork and fluke hybrid bite.

TNBronzeback
05-02-2016, 10:41 AM
Thanks for the info. This weekend I'll be chasing turkeys but next weekend if my work schedule stays as is, I'll have to be on night shifts for a little over a week and will have to stay on a nights schedule through the weekend. If the weather is good I'll just fish all night looking for that topwater/cork and fluke hybrid bite.

I dont know much about that kind of bite. do they bust the surface in schools at night the same way they do during the day?
for example, could i just listen to the water at night for them busting or are you looking for fish via electronics then using the topwater to bring them up?
i tried it a few times last year with no results so im kinda curious on the method. i always seem to hear fish splashing at night, but when i pursue said splashes, the only splashes i end up hearing are my owns casts! LOL.

jad2t
05-02-2016, 10:48 AM
I dont know much about that kind of bite. do they bust the surface in schools at night the same way they do during the day?
for example, could i just listen to the water at night for them busting or are you looking for fish via electronics then using the topwater to bring them up?
i tried it a few times last year with no results so im kinda curious on the method. i always seem to hear fish splashing at night, but when i pursue said splashes, the only splashes i end up hearing are my owns casts! LOL.

Well Headhunter can probably speak more to that. He says he fishes for them mostly at night this time of year. I haven't tried it yet. Last Summer I did a couple overnight trips on JPP for the same purpose of rolling into night shift hours and I'd find them blowing up but this was right at sunrise. When I'd get there, it was only whites and smaller bass hitting my topwaters. I know some of those feeding explosions had to be bigger fish but I just didn't get one.

Tnarcher
05-02-2016, 10:18 PM
That sucks, sorry to hear that, I lost a spare tire last year. What ramp were you at.

This happened at cooks. There was an unmarked police car there when I was leaving, but I didn't know I'd been hit until I had been home for an hour.

Headhunter
05-02-2016, 10:42 PM
The cold weather is going to knock the topwater bite down for a bit, but yes they are catchable at night and no for the most part you will not hear any fish feeding on the surface. I cover as much territory as possible and look for them by casting. They have been moving a lot the last couple years and showing up in places I hear many say they wouldn't use that area. It makes it tough but so much fun when you can find them.

jad2t
05-03-2016, 07:12 AM
It makes it tough but so much fun when you can find them.

I've had 2 trips result in skunks this Spring in areas where I hammered them a week before or even a few days before. It can be frustrating but yes when you find them it's a blast. I look forward to this every year and it's the most fun fishing of the entire year for me. This weekend is all turkey hunting for me with the cool weather moving in so my hybrid season may be over. I got a lot of good drag pulls and many tasty meals so I'd say it was a success.

GO-OKFISHIN
05-03-2016, 08:25 AM
This happened at cooks. There was an unmarked police car there when I was leaving, but I didn't know I'd been hit until I had been home for an hour.

Hate to hear that. I used to park and fish there a lot.

Headhunter
05-03-2016, 09:39 PM
I've had 2 trips result in skunks this Spring in areas where I hammered them a week before or even a few days before. It can be frustrating but yes when you find them it's a blast. I look forward to this every year and it's the most fun fishing of the entire year for me. This weekend is all turkey hunting for me with the cool weather moving in so my hybrid season may be over. I got a lot of good drag pulls and many tasty meals so I'd say it was a success.

I don't eat them, I keep a couple every once in a while and give them away and most of the time don't even weigh them. The last guy I gave them to said the last 4 I have given him weighed over 40 lbs. I don't know if that was true but that is what he weighed them at. My best one this year was almost 14 on my bogas (my bogas weigh a 5 lb postal check weight on the money) but one fish I gave to my friend that I thought was 11 or 12, didn't weigh it, he said it was 13.

jad2t
05-04-2016, 07:49 AM
I don't eat them, I keep a couple every once in a while and give them away and most of the time don't even weigh them. The last guy I gave them to said the last 4 I have given him weighed over 40 lbs. I don't know if that was true but that is what he weighed them at. My best one this year was almost 14 on my bogas (my bogas weigh a 5 lb postal check weight on the money) but one fish I gave to my friend that I thought was 11 or 12, didn't weigh it, he said it was 13.

To each his own but everyone knows I'm a catch and eat guy anyway. A lot of people say they don't taste good, I have a strong suspicion they either aren't removing the bloodline properly or they just aren't good cooks. In the past I took home a couple and didn't take the time to really get rid of all that stuff and there isn't enough spices and butter in the world to make them taste good if you don't. Unless you're trying to survive, you won't like the taste. I ate them only because I didn't want to waste something I killed but I did not enjoy it.

To me, all 3 species of striped fish is some of the best tasting fish in freshwater. I'd prefer bass or walleye over those ONLY because I don't have to do the extra work of getting that red meat out.

Headhunter
05-04-2016, 08:05 AM
To each his own but everyone knows I'm a catch and eat guy anyway. A lot of people say they don't taste good, I have a strong suspicion they either aren't removing the bloodline properly or they just aren't good cooks. In the past I took home a couple and didn't take the time to really get rid of all that stuff and there isn't enough spices and butter in the world to make them taste good if you don't. Unless you're trying to survive, you won't like the taste. I ate them only because I didn't want to waste something I killed but I did not enjoy it.

To me, all 3 species of striped fish is some of the best tasting fish in freshwater. I'd prefer bass or walleye over those ONLY because I don't have to do the extra work of getting that red meat out.

Not a bash, I prefer crappie. White bass, striper or hybrid I don't eat and I have tried everything, always got rid of the white line, soaked them in a baking soda and salt water solution, changing water several times, etc. and they are just terrible to me. I don't care what anyone legally keeps.

TNBronzeback
05-04-2016, 08:06 AM

no doubt about it! you get yourself a nice size hybrid and it grills it very very nice. Nice thick, white, flaky fillet. but yeah, without a doubt, you dont clean it properly, you will not be doing your tastebuds or the fish any justice.

Travis C.
05-04-2016, 08:35 AM
Ironically the best fish I have had in a long time wasn't even supposed to be where I caught it. That's the tilapia from Old Hickory. It was so much better than the store bought you can't even compare.

I fried up 30 fish sticks one night for my wife and two lil ones but once I sat down to eat only 3 were left. Bunch of brats....all three. :)

jad2t
05-04-2016, 10:00 AM
Ironically the best fish I have had in a long time wasn't even supposed to be where I caught it. That's the tilapia from Old Hickory. It was so much better than the store bought you can't even compare.

I fried up 30 fish sticks one night for my wife and two lil ones but once I sat down to eat only 3 were left. Bunch of brats....all three. :)

That's the difference between farm raised and wild caught fish! The latter is superior in all categories. Same with game. I had farm raised venison one time at a restaurant. Absolutely no comparison to wild harvested deer. Not even close.

Release a bass then go buy fish from the store? Just the thought makes me laugh.