PDA

View Full Version : JPP record

Dakota
04-27-2016, 08:39 PM
http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/2016/04/27/record-hybrid-caught-percy-priest-lake/83548368/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fishmanjoe
04-28-2016, 05:57 AM
We know where a lot of people will be fishing soon.

commdd
04-28-2016, 06:59 AM
fishmanjoe, my thought exactly!

jad2t
04-28-2016, 07:13 AM
We know where a lot of people will be fishing soon.

That isn't the only place to get them. They're still all over the place on the lower end of the lake. We found them pretty good Sunday and I'm headed out there tomorrow morning I believe to try again. I hate the crowds at the cove too, especially the types of people that sometimes hangout there. Venture elsewhere while the water is still a bit low and you'll find them.

He got some solid fillets off of a fish that big!!

XxthejuicexX
04-28-2016, 08:45 AM
They will be shoulder to shoulder around the cove now. I am going to try to get out Friday afternoon. Might go back up that way and fish for them.

Headhunter
04-28-2016, 09:04 AM
To me it does not look like a hybrid, more like a striper. I guess it is, from what I know TWRA fisheries guy verified from pictures. If it is truly a hybrid I have caught a few that were the same size or bigger that in my opinion they were stripers. Several I know have also caught several like that one.

On another note, wore them out this morning, not in Old Hickory Cove though.

XxthejuicexX
04-28-2016, 09:16 AM
To me it does not look like a hybrid, more like a striper. I guess it is, from what I know TWRA fisheries guy verified from pictures. If it is truly a hybrid I have caught a few that were the same size or bigger that in my opinion they were stripers. Several I know have also caught several like that one.

I just now actually looked at the fish and I have to agree with you. It does look more like a Striper. I would think they have a better way than pictures to verify that it is a Hybrid.

jad2t
04-28-2016, 09:21 AM
It's hard to tell without seeing the whole fish. In that picture it sort of does look more like a pure Striper and it was the COE that verified the species, not TWRA. I don't know how well they know their fish ID. I'd like to see a pic of the whole fish.

Super calm winds tomorrow morning will make the water look like glass and I can spot busting fish a long way away. I'm excited.

Headhunter
04-28-2016, 09:34 AM
It's hard to tell without seeing the whole fish. In that picture it sort of does look more like a pure Striper and it was the COE that verified the species, not TWRA. I don't know how well they know their fish ID. I'd like to see a pic of the whole fish.

Super calm winds tomorrow morning will make the water look like glass and I can spot busting fish a long way away. I'm excited.

I was told by a game warden that one the TWRA's fisheries guys verified it.

jad2t
04-28-2016, 09:34 AM

How early? I have tomorrow off and will be paddling around before sunrise in search of them in some areas I've found them all Spring.

Headhunter
04-28-2016, 09:35 AM
I just now actually looked at the fish and I have to agree with you. It does look more like a Striper. I would think they have a better way than pictures to verify that it is a Hybrid.

I have a different pic of it and it for sure looks like a striper.

aero320
04-28-2016, 10:29 AM
Look at the anal fin. If it is a Hybrid, the second anal fin will be 2/3 of the length of the third anal fin. This characteristic came from the White Bass. If it is a Striper, the second anal fin will be 1/2 the length of the third anal fin

Headhunter
04-28-2016, 01:38 PM
How early? I have tomorrow off and will be paddling around before sunrise in search of them in some areas I've found them all Spring.

Hard to say. They have been in a different spot everytime I go. Some days I get lucky and find them on the first spot, this morning I found them on the 8th place I fished. They are not staying in any one spot long for whatever reason and I have seen almost no surface activity, well other than them hitting my topwater bait, and I no surface activity when I find and catch them.

Travis C.
04-28-2016, 02:01 PM
Sure looks like a striper head on it.

I attached for comparison a 20lb lake record hybrid from Tulsa.

Travis C.
04-28-2016, 02:06 PM
I am going to be hopefully catching them and striper next weekend in our summer haunts with buddy. Found some big striper last weekend blowing up bait on where we will finish up our outing so my fingers are crossed they are still there.

jad2t
04-28-2016, 02:19 PM
Sure looks like a striper head on it.

I attached for comparison a 20lb lake record hybrid from Tulsa.

Yea in that picture it definitely looks more like a Striper to me. I'd really like to see another picture of it with more of a side view. That should make it clear.

Travis C.
04-28-2016, 03:17 PM
Yea in that picture it definitely looks more like a Striper to me. I'd really like to see another picture of it with more of a side view. That should make it clear.

I found more info on the 20lb pic I attached for comparison.

Both it and the Percy one were 31.25" long but the other fish was 7" bigger in girth than the Percy fish even though the Percy fish weighed 2 oz more.

Either way a heck of a fish. There are some big hybrids in Percy.

Headhunter
04-29-2016, 08:27 AM
The Tulsa fish is a hybrid, crazy thing is it really doesn't have broken lines.

SalmonDaze
04-29-2016, 09:28 AM
"I don't often hold a fish with climbing equipment, but when I do; I use a 600lb capacity caribiner rig with quick release"

:)

Stay thirsty my friends!

http://www.fishingtn.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8342&d=1461870066

MNfisher
04-29-2016, 02:45 PM
"I don't often hold a fish with climbing equipment, but when I do; I use a 600lb capacity caribiner rig with quick release"

Stay thirsty my friends!

Hahahaha

gordonc615
04-30-2016, 02:54 PM
I went out Friday to that cove and there was a bunch of boats there. I bet it would've been swamped today if the rain would've held off

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

TnCreekMaster
04-30-2016, 03:29 PM
I drove across the dam yesterday morning contiplating going after those hybrids but decided instead to go fish the river and im glad I did, didnt see another fisherman all day! Hard to do this time of year.

Heiny57
05-01-2016, 07:46 AM

Stay thirsty my friends!

Looks like broken lines to me. I say Hybrid.

tkwalker
05-01-2016, 12:19 PM
One of my clients caught an unusual striper in 2003. (See 5th picture from the left She is wearing a red jacket) http://www.fishingtn.com/sigpic.jpg ... After examining the fish, it was missing (Never was there) the right pelvic fin, it had broken lines but it's physical size was that of a Rock fish (38 LB's). My neighbor was a TWRA Creel Officer that worked with the Agencies Biologist. He took pic's of the fish and measurements and asked them about it.

Come to find out, on occasion at the hatchery, mistakes are made. Some times the hatching vats are not sufficiently cleaned between species hatching, So some active sperm deposits from one species to the other gets mixed in the transfer. They said it is rare but on occasion a Morphed Fish will appear, Hope this helps .. <'TK><:)

SAMBOLIE
05-01-2016, 01:19 PM
One of my clients caught an unusual striper in 2003. (See 5th picture from the left She is wearing a red jacket) http://www.fishingtn.com/sigpic.jpg ... After examining the fish, it was missing (Never was there) the right pelvic fin, it had broken lines but it's physical size was that of a Rock fish (38 LB's). My neighbor was a TWRA Creel Officer that worked with the Agencies Biologist. He took pic's of the fish and measurements and asked them about it.

Come to find out, on occasion at the hatchery, mistakes are made. Some times the hatching vats are not sufficiently cleaned between species hatching, So some active sperm deposits from one species to the other gets mixed in the transfer. They said it is rare but on occasion a Morphed Fish will appear, Hope this helps .. <'TK><:)

Those little sperm cells are tricky. I have know girls to get pregnant off the commode seat and also from those little sperms drifting in the swimming pool.

tkwalker
05-01-2016, 09:20 PM
Those little sperm cells are tricky. I have know girls to get pregnant off the commode seat and also from those little sperms drifting in the swimming pool.

Sam I get your point...But, Little girls don't lay eggs ... :)

Headhunter
05-02-2016, 10:05 AM
striper or hybrid? different pic of same fish

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p37/headhunter130/striper_zpsv9u2e2dy.jpg (http://s124.photobucket.com/user/headhunter130/media/striper_zpsv9u2e2dy.jpg.html)

jad2t
05-02-2016, 10:34 AM
striper or hybrid? different pic of same fish

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p37/headhunter130/striper_zpsv9u2e2dy.jpg (http://s124.photobucket.com/user/headhunter130/media/striper_zpsv9u2e2dy.jpg.html)

I trust TWRA... but that sure looks like 100% Striper to me.

tkwalker
05-02-2016, 11:49 AM
Me To ... I have caught a number of Stripers through the years that had broken lines ... But like Jimmy said ... I'm not going to up stage TWRA ... <'TK><:)

MNfisher
05-02-2016, 08:08 PM
Hmmmmm, sure does look like a striper

Mike

Travis C.
05-03-2016, 08:27 AM
The best striped fish fisherman I know took one look at it and said not a pure hybrid. Maybe an F-X Hybrid (striper mother x hybrid father). A true Hybrid is a F-1 Hybrid (striper mother x white bass father).

He said the head size in relation to body gives it away and would not be recognized by IFGA nor should it by TWRA if DNA tested.

I trust his judgement on this over TWRA.

GO-OKFISHIN
05-03-2016, 08:31 AM
That guy in that Red Toyota has been fishing there for a lot of years. Is he the one that caught it?

Travis C.
05-03-2016, 08:34 AM
Gaspergou, Can you ID this fish from the photo? You would be the most certified on the board.

MNfisher
05-03-2016, 11:16 AM
That guy in that Red Toyota has been fishing there for a lot of years. Is he the one that caught it?

Yeah I've talked with him many times. I can't tell if it's him who caught it. Wasn't his name Paul? Or was it Dave...

tkwalker
05-03-2016, 12:00 PM
The best striped fish fisherman I know took one look at it and said not a pure hybrid. Maybe an F-X Hybrid (striper mother x hybrid father). A true Hybrid is a F-1 Hybrid (striper mother x white bass father).

He said the head size in relation to body gives it away and would not be recognized by IFGA nor should it by TWRA if DNA tested.

I trust his judgement on this over TWRA.

That was the first indication ... The head size and gill plate .. Like I stated before it is not uncommon to catch Rocks with broken lines.. <'TK><:) This is a Rock Fish !!

Headhunter
05-03-2016, 09:35 PM
His name is Dave. I know him well, darned good fishermen in some respects, we had a falling out, so we do not speak, I do know he looked at a pic of a fish I caught several years ago (that was a giant if it was a hybrid) and he told me it was a hybrid but to me it was a striper.

That fish is also a striper and I disagree with the TWRA for sure on that one, at least without a true test and especially if what I understand is true that it was verified through pictures.

tkwalker
05-04-2016, 01:20 AM
I have contacted an old friend . Doug Markham, TWRA spokesman to see if he could investigate and check with his people on the validity of this fish ... We will wait for a reply ... <'TK>< :) Note: Newspaper article stated that the Corps of Eng. was contacted http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/2016/04/27/record-hybrid-caught-percy-priest-lake/83548368/ Uuummm?? So TWRA was not ever involved ... ?? My personal opinion ... The Corp doesn't have a clue !!

Headhunter
05-04-2016, 06:39 AM
I have contacted an old friend . Doug Markham, TWRA spokesman to see if he could investigate and check with his people on the validity of this fish ... We will wait for a reply ... <'TK>< :) Note: Newspaper article stated that the Corps of Eng. was contacted http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/2016/04/27/record-hybrid-caught-percy-priest-lake/83548368/ Uuummm?? So TWRA was not ever involved ... ?? My personal opinion ... The Corp doesn't have a clue !!

I agree TK.

jad2t
05-04-2016, 07:55 AM

Someone on here said TWRA verified it so I just assumed they know best and the pic was misleading but if they never got involved then I stand with my opinion that fish is 100% Striped Bass.

Still, it's a great size fish for JPP, it's not often you find one that size in there. But it's not a new lake record Hybrid. This needs to be fixed!

Travis C.
05-04-2016, 08:19 AM

If the Corps ID the fish then it could have been a "broken lines must be a hybrid". That we know is not an accurate way to go about it.

In all fairness, when staring at what you think is a record fish of any kind I imagine the WOW factor could impair sound judgement in the dotting of I's or crossing T's.

Also, the newspaper article was poorly prepared with him catching the fish on a "quarter house" jig.

tkwalker
05-04-2016, 10:59 AM
I heard from Doug this morning and He said that they (TWRA) was aware of this fish pic and read FishingTN's thread and had discussed this since last week. To Their knowledge no one from TWRA verified or assessed the fish. Doug also reminded me that TWRA only verifies State Records.

So to me this is all on the Corps and I don't know if they have a biology Dept. or a fishery Division in the state?

<'TK><:)

gaspergou
05-04-2016, 03:38 PM
I agree that the fish is not a hybrid, but unless someone saved a tissue sample, there's probably not much to do about it...

and over a lake record?! Man, that's just a bit of flatulence in the wind.

It'll pass.