PDA

View Full Version : JPP Mixed Bag 04-23-16

TNBronzeback
04-25-2016, 08:31 AM
Had a pretty good day saturday! got out early and put a few crappies in the boat and bulging cat. then i got a phone call from a fellow member saying he was on the hybrids, so i packed up and headed his way. the mayhem was over by the time i got there but throwing a spoon i was able to get a few smaller ones to smash it. man those things hit hard and fight even harder. the ones i landed were in the 14" ish range and hit right on the bank. got a few cats doing that as well which is always fun. I remember living in MI when i was younger where we didnt have that many cats around and having the ideas that cats were slow, stupid trash eaters....that is SO not the case! i dont really target them, but im always amazed at just how hard they can hit any bait...rip jigging blades in the fast river, cranks for bass, teeny tiny crappie baits, live shiners....they just hit it with everything they have it seems. lol
i met back up with my wife again at the dock with some much needed firehouse subs cause she wanted to scope some camping spots on the islands. so we cruised around...i fished here and there, picking up a few little smallies in a cove mid lake on the bobby garlands. i love them fish...you sting em and they just go airborn!
as evening got closer we went back to my first place and immediately put a few more crappies in the boat...small ones. i found some slightly deeper brush and found a couple of good ones. so now she wants to fish so she grabs my river jigging rod and asks me to put her on something good. lol. well the rod has 8lb mono, longer rod, heavier, ect....just overall NOT your usual 1/8th oz jig crappie rod, i told her this isnt a "cast and reel" kinda thing so she just flipped it out and did a few twitches then just dead sticked it. the only real action was from the waves as boats went by. im casting feverishly as the light is fading, trying to get back over my brush and she just starts squealing, i got something, i got something....and guys...lets be honest, weve all done this, you hear your wife say those words and you just kinda roll your eyes and think you have to get another snag free....lol....not this time, i hear a splash, whip around and see this beastly mouth crappie half out of the water, i freak cause its a pretty big crappie, so im all excited, she has no idea what it is from the way she is sitting, i lunge for the net so it doesnt break off, cause she doesnt know whats going on, she keeps asking what is it, what is it...lol. I net it and get it in the boat, im still in awe over the situation...she keeps asking, is it big, is it big...i said H@%$ yeah its big!
then she says, well good, im gonna eat that one! LMAO. my wifes a stone cold killer and i couldnt be more proud! she is really getting the hang of fishing and casting. she was actually casting that little jig pretty far on that rod and her twitch is pretty good. she still got snagged a few times, but she could also feel the little bluegill pecks.
ended the day with 5 nice keeper crappie, some good cruising time, a few camping spots and some good memories.
NONE of my crappies i boated had eggs. a few still had their spawning colors, but were totally empty. that big one she got measured 15" on the dot and was skinny as can be.
Gills are moving up fast. anyplace i went bank casting for crappies in 7' and less had gills. nothing big, 6-7" or so and smaller. Cats are moving up fast as well. almost time to get the trolling rods out.!

Alphahawk
04-25-2016, 08:48 AM
Congrats.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deezelteck
04-25-2016, 09:22 AM
That's a slab!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

XxthejuicexX
04-25-2016, 09:43 AM
Good job. It was pretty out there this weekend. Jimmy and I fished yesterday and did pretty well. Caught a bunch of whites a few hybrids along with crappie. That is a slab and a half. All the crappie were spawned out.

jaybird
04-25-2016, 09:47 AM
Nice Crappie!

jad2t
04-25-2016, 10:22 AM
That's a slab of a Crappie for sure! Like Johnathan said, we got a nice mixed bag yesterday afternoon into early evening. We stayed longer than we should have since we had to work today but... you don't leave feeding fish. We each got a keeper Hybrid and each lost a good Hybrid. Lots of Crappie and White Bass too.

notorious
04-25-2016, 02:45 PM
Love it...I say to all my peeps that JPP is the most prolific lake in the state, simply always producing nice fish. I have two personal best there, consistently producing when others have played out.

XxthejuicexX
04-25-2016, 07:21 PM
Love it...I say to all my peeps that JPP is the most prolific lake in the state, simply always producing nice fish. I have two personal best there, consistently producing when others have played out.

It does impress me how well year after year it produces.

TNBronzeback
04-25-2016, 10:08 PM
Thanks guys!
90% of her boat time is tanning time but when the fish are biting, she enjoys catching em!
I was torn between going back to where i got my few hybrids or going back to where i last found em last weekend. I opted for the latter, the hybrids never did show up but the big crappie was worth it.
If this late spring/early summer fishing is any indication of the summer ahead, i think its gonna be a good crappie summer.

chaseasl
04-29-2016, 11:09 AM
Good trip