PDA

View Full Version : Old hick sunday

skillet
04-18-2016, 08:12 AM
I don't know what changed or happened, but our fishing was horrible!! Couldn't find any keeper sized bass, most were in 10" range if lucky. The water was clear, it was the right temperature, but we struck out. Saw some nice sized carp in the grass, that got us excited till we seen what it was!!! And seen a couple of what looked like females cruising near the top but they wasn't looking to eat anything. Almost grabbed one by hand!!! It was a weird day to say the least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TNBronzeback
04-18-2016, 12:09 PM
thats a bummer!
but, a bad bass day can turn into a really fun carp snagging day!
bury your treble in the tail of one of those babies and let her run! LOL
not the nicest thing to do to the carp, but it beats an arrow through their head. (which is fun as well :D)

Texas_Rig
04-18-2016, 01:20 PM
I fished a tournament yesterday morning. I don't think I caught a single fish out of the grass. And I fished a lot of it. I think the bluebird skies and all the spawning carp had a lot to do with it. I started fishing creek channel rock and boat docks in spawning pockets and that seemed to be the best way to get a keeper bite.

Tennoutdrsman
04-18-2016, 01:33 PM
Wow! Same here..Sat was pretty decent..Shellcrackers,crappie,and Cats...Sunday ONE small Channel Cat...

chrisntab
04-18-2016, 04:29 PM
Fished all day Sunday left and right of 109 bridge a couple of miles for trophy blue cats and stunk it up.

SAMBOLIE
04-18-2016, 05:19 PM
Bass are bedding on OH.

skillet
04-18-2016, 07:49 PM
I wish I had my crappie gear with me...may have been a better day. Lol. Glad to hear we wasn't the only ones having problems.
Sambolie, I know the fish should be bedding, but I have yet to see one on bed and i have yet to see a fish with a red tail and I have caught a lot of bass in the past month. I'm not saying that the fish up the lake ain't on bed, but it's just been what I've seen on the lower end.
Funny thing is, Thursday I fished for a few hours and hammered some decent bass on a 1.5 square bill. Sunday, I couldn't buy a bite on a moving bait.

I really think the high pressure day, bluebird sky, high fishing pressure, and very high boat traffic were the reason the bass were lockjawed!! Hopefully it'll be better this week.

Adrian
04-18-2016, 08:13 PM
Went out all day today, Nothing Has Changed! Didn't see any bedded bass. Only Carp. Caught one keeper & a smaller striper. Absolutely NO Current! Getting tired of having my a$$ handed to me!

agelesssone
04-18-2016, 08:37 PM
Went out all day today, Nothing Has Changed! Didn't see any bedded bass. Only Carp. Caught one keeper & a smaller striper. Absolutely NO Current! Getting tired of having my a$$ handed to me!

Good thing IT'S being handed to you. NOBODY ELSE WANTS IT!

Texas_Rig
04-18-2016, 08:38 PM
I think there are a few spawning bass ATM but the big waves haven't hit yet. I did catch 2 3lbers last Wednesday that had bloody tails. I'm seeing a bunch of bass cruising really shallow and they are very spooky. I haven't seen a bedded fish yet but I also don't expect to see very many on the hick. But that wave is bound to hit any day. The best way I know to tell anyone how to catch a decent bag right now is just put ur head down and cover water

skillet
04-18-2016, 10:16 PM

Man, those carp had us worked up worst than a virgin at prom!!! We thought we was about to tear into a monster bass in the weeds....and then we saw the gold and our balloon was popped!!

I'm sure that there's a few bass bedding early. But the full moon is Thursday and it will really turn on then.

notorious
04-19-2016, 03:13 PM
Fished OH for the past few days, crappie are solid when you find them, usually catching 10-15 keepers per spot. Fished this am and let our spot cool off for a few minuets and had some guys roll in and wipe it clean with us a few yards away. When they left there was a line of boats going to the spot. Catching them on Black/Chartreuse and Purple/Chartreuse tubes, however I believe any color would work. Had a wake boarder super size boat swamp us 5 times, flood the boat and cause me to fall twice nearly overboard. We hollered at the guy a few times but he never acknowledged us. We chased him down after he nearly ran over a little old man in his small boat and got his registration number and I reported him to TWRA for reckless operation violations. Dickhead even said he was going to swamp us again...I told him TWRA would be contacting him and we left. When we got to the ramp later a few guys were there and said dude swamped them also. Its so sad to see the little respect those super rich first time boaters act...so if your in Cages Bend know TWRA will be there watching and protecting us from those idiots.

Dakota
04-19-2016, 06:00 PM
I'm glad you reported that. I get tired of it too it's ridiculous. As far as I know each boater especially the big boats are responsible for their wake. If they happen to turn over a small boat and do injury they are liable.

pitbull
04-19-2016, 06:17 PM
I'm finding there is little I hate more in this world than a wakeboard boat here lately.... I mean hate in it's strongest form...

skillet
04-19-2016, 09:54 PM
Crappie fishing on old hickory has hit its sweet spot! We watched a guy fish some brush piles we put out ourselves, for hours!! I'm glad that we have successfully made a good crappie bed for all these guys to rape and pillage!! Lol j/k......sort of!

XxthejuicexX
04-19-2016, 10:00 PM
Crappie fishing on old hickory has hit its sweet spot! We watched a guy fish some brush piles we put out ourselves, for hours!! I'm glad that we have successfully made a good crappie bed for all these guys to rape and pillage!! Lol j/k......sort of!

Ain't no secrets no mo! It sucks to have a spot that you found or made only to find people fishing it when you get there. I'm fishing JPP tomorrow after work and hope that my honey hole is open. I will be in the yak and it's a pretty good paddle to just to get there and have someone sitting on it.

tennarl
04-19-2016, 11:23 PM
I normally fish Priest but decided to test out OH at Shuttes Branch last Sunday. Finished the day with three 4+lb fish, including two on b2b cast on the small island to the right of the boat ramp. What I learned was: Trying to cross the main channel -- in mid-April no less -- with a 14-foot boat is dumb. First time I've ever felt scared that I was going to flip...and I'm ultra-conservative to a fault with a 25 hp. Second, I caught a ton of 6-8 inchers, which was weird considering you almost never catch those types at Priest. Not that Priest's bass are big, but a vast majority are 12in+. I got to the ramp in 45 min from Franklin which is quicker than getting to Fate Sanders or Pooles Knob. I assume boat traffic only going to be worse moving forward, however.

TNBronzeback
04-20-2016, 08:28 AM
Ain't no secrets no mo! It sucks to have a spot that you found or made only to find people fishing it when you get there. I'm fishing JPP tomorrow after work and hope that my honey hole is open. I will be in the yak and it's a pretty good paddle to just to get there and have someone sitting on it.

i have the perfect solution to that....just put your homemade cover where nobody else will want to fish....now, the downside would be no fish there either, but hey, aside from the pleasure boaters and guys that just cruise by watching everybody else....you should have the place all to yourself! lol

XxthejuicexX
04-20-2016, 09:05 AM
i have the perfect solution to that....just put your homemade cover where nobody else will want to fish....now, the downside would be no fish there either, but hey, aside from the pleasure boaters and guys that just cruise by watching everybody else....you should have the place all to yourself! lol

That is correct. Peaceful fishing with no catching.

TNBronzeback
04-20-2016, 10:38 AM
I usually hit the river on busy holiday weekends when i want to fish. Sauger, bass, stripers, cats, drum.....they all bite good and next to no boat traffic! win win!

skillet
04-20-2016, 12:39 PM

Oh I know...it don't bother me one bit. The guy didn't fish all of them, just one. Lol. With today's electronics and maps it's hard to keep secrets of any kind.

skillet
04-20-2016, 12:44 PM
I normally fish Priest but decided to test out OH at Shuttes Branch last Sunday. Finished the day with three 4+lb fish, including two on b2b cast on the small island to the right of the boat ramp. What I learned was: Trying to cross the main channel -- in mid-April no less -- with a 14-foot boat is dumb. First time I've ever felt scared that I was going to flip...and I'm ultra-conservative to a fault with a 25 hp. Second, I caught a ton of 6-8 inchers, which was weird considering you almost never catch those types at Priest. Not that Priest's bass are big, but a vast majority are 12in+. I got to the ramp in 45 min from Franklin which is quicker than getting to Fate Sanders or Pooles Knob. I assume boat traffic only going to be worse moving forward, however.

I was worried about the boat traffic and water conditions when we left from black jack cove to go back to rockland and we were in an 18'6" triton! From having to dodge the debris and floaters, other boats, and the big ass cruiser boats and their 3-4 foot wakes, it was hairy to save the least. All I could do was try and get on top of the water and hope for the best!! Lol. We looked like a bassmaster elite guy coming across that water!!