PDA

View Full Version : Normandy

Alphahawk
04-14-2016, 04:44 PM
It has been a while since I targeted trout with a long rod using the float. Well today I loaded up my Yamaga Blanks Blue Current 8' 3" TZ Long Cast and headed to Normandy Dam. It was a warmish day and I decided to wet leg it. I caught over 100 trout and about a dozen KY bass. The KY bass were in the 10-11 inch range. The trout were anywhere from 9 inches up to about 14...I am guessing as I did not take my Hawg Trough to measure. I fished SOS 2# test line with a 2# test Phantom fluro leader. I used a chartreuse TM jig head with a size B split shot about a foot above the Trout Magnet.....which was Bison in color...sometimes switching to pink. At my first location I was catching the trout.....and Spots....off of a ledge in about 3 feet of water. The trout and Spots were holding tight to the wall. I caught about 50 fish out of that one hole then decided to find a spot I could sit on my bucket and catch fish....a shallow riffle about 2 feet deep running into a calmer pool only about 3.5 feet deep. I caught at least another 50 and decided to call it a day....to get home and get ready for fishing trip in the morning. I find with age the hand to eye coordination really slows down...LOL.....takes a while for my brain to realize the float is gone. While I caught over 100 fish I missed just as many....just not quick as I used to be. The fish at Normandy are easy to catch right now if you know what to look for. The flow is at minimum...trout really stack up in the deeper holes....such as it is. River does not have much current at all and water temps were 59-60....lot of moss in river. Had more fun today than I have had in a long time....had forgotten just how much fun it is to catch trout on the long rod. Life is good!

Regards

GISJason420
04-14-2016, 07:46 PM
Awesome catches!!!! May be headed there this weekend if the ole lady is up to traveling out that way! ;-) How far did you leg it? From the dam to the 2nd Bridge down the road? I've got a wicked itch to take my kayak out there and go all the way around behind the hatchery to the bridge while it's still flowing around 50CFS ( What's going on with them???) Last I checked they were so low, and even the lake was low too to the point where we could see all of the fish attractors sticking out....
They trying to drain it or something? LOL Anyways is it too low for a trip on the kayak? Would it be better if I legged it too? Would you say that you caught most of the trout in the calmer areas than the constant flowing areas? I feel and think they're more active in the flowing areas instead of the calmer areas as they like to stay cold don't they? :)

Alphahawk
04-14-2016, 08:08 PM
Awesome catches!!!! May be headed there this weekend if the ole lady is up to traveling out that way! ;-) How far did you leg it? From the dam to the 2nd Bridge down the road? I've got a wicked itch to take my kayak out there and go all the way around behind the hatchery to the bridge while it's still flowing around 50CFS ( What's going on with them???) Last I checked they were so low, and even the lake was low too to the point where we could see all of the fish attractors sticking out....
They trying to drain it or something? LOL Anyways is it too low for a trip on the kayak? Would it be better if I legged it too? Would you say that you caught most of the trout in the calmer areas than the constant flowing areas? I feel and think they're more active in the flowing areas instead of the calmer areas as they like to stay cold don't they? :)

I'd take the kayak. I don't walk too far anymore. You are correct about the flow.....find some flow into pools and they will be there.....also in the deeper riffles. They drained it in expectation of rain last month and we didn't get it. They have held off some stockings because of low flow. Should be lots of trout between first and second bridge.

Regards

GISJason420
04-14-2016, 08:20 PM
I'd take the kayak. I don't walk too far anymore. You are correct about the flow.....find some flow into pools and they will be there.....also in the deeper riffles. They drained it in expectation of rain last month and we didn't get it. They have held off some stockings because of low flow. Should be lots of trout between first and second bridge.

Regards

Alright thanks!I may just do that! :D