PDA

View Full Version : Need help using electronics catch shad

chrisntab
04-14-2016, 12:24 PM
I need help catching shad with Humminbird Helix and with cast net. My setup is Helix 10 SI, with GPS HS, HDSI transducer mounted on transom, GPS puck mounted almost in straight line of transducer on top/back of boat. Maybe 2 feet away.

In my attempt and mind I ride around find shad with SI/DI, mark with waypoint, select waypoint, go to spot, throw net. Except I am not catching the shad. I know there are other factors as was it a good throw? cast net size, speed of boat, etc. I am looking for help on pinpointing what I have marked. It is easier to throw net from bow, but distance is coming from unit in middle of boat, But don't see them until rear of boat passes back over them.

Any tips on pinpointing, locating, when and where to throw net???

SalmonDaze
04-14-2016, 12:36 PM
Great question.

Subscribing to thread; will be interested in answers since I thought a sidescan sonar would make this simple to do. With my CHirp/downscan without sidescan; I'll be interested in all other comments.

Travis C.
04-14-2016, 01:06 PM
The deeper the bait is the harder it will be to catch them even using a big radius net. Here are a few things that will help:

1. Try in the back of creeks or find the shallow flats they hold on.

2. Always remember you are throwing to something that is not a stationary target nor are you stationary.

3. The shad flickering on the surface if you can find are much easier to catch.

My buddy cast nets shad all the time from a kayak with no electronics. You just need to put more odds in your favor and build confidence after catching a few then you will be on your way.

FloatNFish
04-14-2016, 03:22 PM
Make sure you are not jerking the net closed early. Throw the net and let it sink and close itself around the shad based on the amount of mainline you let out before any pulling.

Adrian
04-14-2016, 03:27 PM
What lake? What ramp?

Alphahawk
04-14-2016, 04:38 PM
Here is the deal with marking a waypoint using si and di on your Helix. It will be close but not spot on. If you mark a waypoint using si you are marking the distance it is away from boat. It is slant range. HB could make it exact range but they don't...more chips and code to write. If you mark the waypoint using di it is not exact either.....the core series and all of the Helix models use the two piezo's in the transducer to form a composite di image....it is not spot on either.....once again slant range. For what you are wanting to do it would be better to use the 2d sonar to mark your waypoint....more accurate but still not spot on....and as Travis said...you are after a moving target.

Regards

aero320
04-14-2016, 07:23 PM
I catch Alewives at Tims that are 25 feet deep or more with a net. If you are finding them in deep water, you will need a Deep Hole net, otherwise the net closes before it gets to the bait. Try to find a large school of bait even if they are deep. I never use my depthfinder to find shad if they are shallow. Your best bet is to find them flipping in a shallow cove.

chrisntab
04-15-2016, 11:43 AM
whixh deep hole net and size you like?

aero320
04-15-2016, 03:28 PM
whixh deep hole net and size you like?

I use the 8' with 3/8" mesh.

JKTrevecca
04-16-2016, 08:20 AM
I agree with aero.. sonar for shad might be helpful but I never use it. I throw an 8 foot and I have 2. 1 is 3/8 mesh with 1.5 pounds of lead per foot for threadfin shad and some gizzards. 2 is 1/2 or 5/8 mesh I can't remember but it is better for targeting gizzards as many threadfin will swim through or get stuck trying. Bait is 99% location and 1% knowing how to throw an open net. Think muddy bottoms in 3-12 fow in the backs of coves. Watch out for rocks and trees if you don't wanna buy and repair nets all the time. I have caught some of the most interesting things in my net. A roll of barbed wire, many game fish, etc.. if you get a cat fish caught in your net break his side fin things off. It is the only way to get him out without tearing your net. Gar are always fun in the cast net too.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

StriperFan
04-17-2016, 08:48 AM
There are days, if you fish all year round, when you won't find the shad in the very shallow back of the creeks flipping, which is my preferred method as well.
When this happens, I have turned on my SI and cruised the deeper channels of the feeder creeks and find them holding in the 20' range. I usually won't scan areas deeper than 25'. I look for large schools at this point. And usually if you find them, there will be multiple schools. Then I will come back with my trolling motor and cast net that area. But yes, this is after checking the backs of at least a couple of creeks with no avail, but it can save the day. I also like to use a 8' net with 5/8" - 1" holes so the smaller threadfins will fall through, since I am looking for large gizzard shad.