PDA

View Full Version : Old Hickory Dam Report

dcfisherman
04-11-2016, 06:17 PM
Fished from 10:15 until about 1:50. Went to restock my freezer with skipjack and had some luck! caught probably 15-20 and threw out a catfish pole just for the heck of it and hooked and lost one and landed a giant freshwater drum. Pretty fun day today! On a side note, has anyone ever tried kayak fishing from the launch there? After seeing it today running 0-1 generators it looked pretty calm and fishable downstream from the dam. Looking for those big cats

TNBronzeback
04-11-2016, 08:19 PM
Nice job! them skipjacks are a blast!

dcfisherman
04-11-2016, 08:22 PM
Nice job! them skipjacks are a blast!

Especially on trout magnets using the ultralight!

Travis C.
04-12-2016, 08:30 AM
I fish it from a kayak with and without generation.

Depending on when you launch/take out be wary of the bank people. Some are pretty shady in the summer time. Cold weather weeds them out but soon as it warms they will be there.

dcfisherman
04-12-2016, 08:35 AM
I fish it from a kayak with and without generation.

Depending on when you launch/take out be wary of the bank people. Some are pretty shady in the summer time. Cold weather weeds them out but soon as it warms they will be there.

Thanks for the advice. I'm thinking of launching at the ramp at the dam and drifting skipjack downstream on Sunday

Travis C.
04-12-2016, 08:48 AM
Thanks for the advice. I'm thinking of launching at the ramp at the dam and drifting skipjack downstream on Sunday

Depending on how much water they are running it can be a hard paddle but definitely doable. You can always cross to the Old Hickory side then hug the bank back up to stay away from the main generation flow.

I have caught several cats down there in the kayak but nothing huge...yet.