PDA

View Full Version : Any shad gathering tips on old hickory?

chrisntab
04-08-2016, 10:05 AM
Wanting to do some live shad fishing this Sunday and hitting up old Hickory. Got any tips? I figured I could locate early up in sloughs. Thanks

JKTrevecca
04-08-2016, 11:27 PM
Look for muddy bottom areas. Not sure what part of OH you're fishing or how far you're willing to travel or how good a cast net you have. I have caught nice gizzards shad from inside the drakes creek Marian in 25 fow to all the way up near carthage in less than 3 fow inside a feeder creek. Last weekend I caught them on JPP deep with no signs of them on the surface. I am throwing an 8 ft radius 1.5 lb per foot 3/8 and 5/8 inch mesh cast net. Gizzards are difficult to get in a small net. What are you using to catch them?

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

JKTrevecca
04-08-2016, 11:30 PM
Threading are more easily caught in a small Wal-Mart net and you can either look for clips on the surface or use your electronics to locate them. The threadfin school together much tighter than gizzards in my experience. What size are you wanting and what are you wanting to catch with these shad?

JKTrevecca
04-08-2016, 11:31 PM
Auto correct makes my post almost not make any sense. Ha

tacklemake
04-10-2016, 04:35 PM
Wanting to do some live shad fishing this Sunday and hitting up old Hickory. Got any tips? I figured I could locate early up in sloughs. Thanks

If you are using a small casting net no deeper then 4' or they will swim out from under it.