PDA

View Full Version : Center Hill Lake Report

Alphahawk
04-03-2016, 07:08 PM
Went scouting on Center Hill Lake today. I was after smallmouth....didn't find a single one...but I did find that Gills and red ear are moving shallow. Lots of Shad are at the 10-15 foot depth...moving up. Lots of Loons feeding today. The crappie bite is on and the black nose crappie are in their spawning colors....even though my pics don't show it well. Water temps were 58-60 degrees in the places I fished....one which was a little ways into Indian Creek. The water in Indian Creek looked really good. The crappie are in 4 feet of water on chunk rock. I found three nests of them today but wasn't keeping fish and kept moving, looking for other specie. So if you want to catch some really good black nose crappie on Center Hill.....GO! The crappie were caught on a Bison colored Trout Magnet using SOS 2# test fishing line. Life is good!

Regards

commdd
04-03-2016, 07:51 PM
alpha, those are fine looking fish. thanks so much for the report, your contributions to this board exceptional!

Texas_Rig
04-03-2016, 08:33 PM
alpha, those are fine looking fish. thanks so much for the report, your contributions to this board exceptional!

I second this comment. I don't target the same species most of the time as Alpha but he seems to have great fishing knowledge that many can and probably do benefit from. So Alpha would you please hurry up and start bass fishing with 60lb braid and 20lb flourocarbon and throw monster baits so I can start learning from you to!

Alphahawk
04-03-2016, 08:42 PM
I second this comment. I don't target the same species most of the time as Alpha but he seems to have great fishing knowledge that many can and probably do benefit from. So Alpha would you please hurry up and start bass fishing with 60lb braid and 20lb flourocarbon and throw monster baits so I can start learning from you to!

Thanks for the comments guys. I just hope something I post about fishing can help someone out. Texas I did the largemouth bass thing for about 40 years. I fished saltwater on the Persian Gulf and Red Sea for 21 years. Going UL in my fishing has brought me more fun than any type of fishing I have ever done. I do still love to get into the Smallies...but with UL. It is a hoot. Am just waiting for this wind to stop. It is supposed to blow all week.

Regards

Lepomis
04-04-2016, 08:45 AM
Alpha-Please describe chunk rock. Large gravel? Riprap size? broken up bedrock? bedrock shelves? thanks.

XxthejuicexX
04-04-2016, 09:06 AM
Alpha, those are really good crappie. You've got me wanting to go next Monday after I get back from Chickamauga.

Do you put in at the Indian creek ramp or somewhere else? It's been a long time since I used that ramp and it's always been rather sketchy getting to it.

Alphahawk
04-04-2016, 09:22 AM
Lepomis....chunk rock to me is just big rock. It is the natural rock that is all over Center Hill Lake. You can see what I mean by just looking at the shore line now that the water is so low. Those features though are not everywhere out in the water. If you go just look for rock as it runs into the water from the bank...the crappie are only in about 4 feet of water.

Juice I am only using the Edgar Evins and Hurricane Bridge ramps at the moment. I have been told by a few not to use the Indian Creek ramp so I have never used it. The crappie should hang around maybe into May.

Regards

XxthejuicexX
04-04-2016, 09:33 AM
Thank you.

tennesseekeith
04-04-2016, 07:19 PM
I when Thursday afternoon. With lake so low I wouldn't launch my Soloskiff. Ramp ended and was about 6" of water out 20' or so before it looked to get deeper. I've heard stories about break ins. And truck and trailers stolen from the ramp. But so far I haven't had any problems yet.

GISJason420
04-04-2016, 08:17 PM
Went scouting on Center Hill Lake today. I was after smallmouth....didn't find a single one.

Hit up the banks around the Austin Bottoms ramp, I caught a couple nice Smallies, what's funny is I caught them 5 mins apart and they both matched size-wise!!! :D