PDA

View Full Version : Pickwick laying with em.

Alphahawk
03-29-2016, 08:04 PM
Made the long drive to Pickwick this morning. They were only running 10,000 CFS of water....which at Pickwick is almost nothing. As evidence at the boat ramp parking lot very few will fish below the dam unless they are running 4-6 generators. The level below dam was 655.....for good fishing you would want 665. Boat ramp was sketchy at best...with the last few feet falling off sharply. But it is spring.....the white bass are somewhere in the area. I subscribe to the Doug Markham theory of "If you don't go you won't know". Started fishing with water temps at 57 degrees...that would later rise to 60 degrees. A pretty strong east wind for first few hours of fishing but calmed nicely by the afternoon. Bottom line I caught a ton of fish. Found crappie and Gills....and also found the white bass I was looking for. One of the sonar pics with the smaller dots in the image are crappie and Gills hanging out together. The larger fish in the other image are white bass. I had a marker out on both spots. Fished for Gills and crappie for about an hour and decided to finish off with several hours of white bass fishing. I caught about 20 Gills....very chunky....looks like April and May is going to produce some good Gills there. Caught 7 crappie and am convinced I could have had a limit of 30 crappie but the white bass were calling.....didn't plan on keeping fish today anyway. Almost all of the whites were sows....caught well over 60 fish. Makes me think the first run of whites are in the spawn. All fish caught on a Bison colored Trout Magnet using SOS 2# test line and a 3/32 ounce jig head with a #8 hook, twitching on the bottom in 12 -14 feet of water for the Gills and whites.....fished with a 1/16 ounce jig head for the crappie counting down to about 5-7 feet. Pickwick should release more water Friday with the rains coming. If they do I hope to be all over it again. My spring so far is going better than I hoped...Living the dream!....Life is good!

Regards

Alphahawk
03-29-2016, 08:05 PM
Sonar pics.

Regards

Heiny57
03-29-2016, 08:17 PM
Good day there.

AllOutdoors
03-29-2016, 09:51 PM
Well done Sir!
Thanks for sharing.

fisher01
03-30-2016, 08:05 AM
Congrats! Good fish!

TNBronzeback
03-30-2016, 08:26 AM
great fish! great read!
i love them coppery/blue/green gills. such pretty fish.

Jaymon
03-30-2016, 09:00 AM
Nice!

dannys07
03-30-2016, 06:16 PM
Alphabet bought some of those thunder hawk plastic grubs and the 1/16oz jig heads and you were right on the money been wearing them out from the bank thanks for the post and for sharing the info with us you give me something to shoot for with all your post God bless

dannys07
03-30-2016, 06:18 PM
Alpha hawk sorry about the auto correct didn't catch it

Alphahawk
03-30-2016, 07:26 PM
Alphabet bought some of those thunder hawk plastic grubs and the 1/16oz jig heads and you were right on the money been wearing them out from the bank thanks for the post and for sharing the info with us you give me something to shoot for with all your post God bless

Thanks for the comments. Those are some good baits....and very durable. Glad you're catching some fish.

Regards

tsuggs
04-02-2016, 07:36 AM
awesome day alpha,thnks for the report and pics!