PDA

View Full Version : Guide help sheet

jprism
02-22-2016, 10:21 AM
I live in Nashville TN and fish Kentucky or Guntersville at least once per month year around. Being retired and on a fixed income I cannot afford to fish with a guide every time however I do hire one 4 times per year. Because a guide fishes these lakes 4-6 times per week they are tuned into where the fish are and what they are eating. Since most guides are doing this for full or part time income I wonder why some don't start a service where someone like me could email or call them state the dates for their fishing trip and receive a detailed set of way points, areas, baits, etc. of where to find the fish. Of course there would be a charge for this service, maybe even an annual membership fee plus a fee for each time you request info. I personally would be glad to pay for this valuable service.

Headhunter
02-22-2016, 10:56 AM
I am not a guide, and don't care to be, but I would not sell many places to anyone unless it was for way more money than it is worth, especially my hybird and bass spots. I still have a few places that I never see anyone fish and hope to keep it that way.

Alphahawk
02-22-2016, 12:03 PM
Brian Carper out of JPP and Old Hickory has the very thing you are talking about. It is a subscription service and best I know he does very well with this service. Now that does not help you out on Guntersville or KY Lake but, if he is having success with it I would think that some guides on those two lakes might have same type service. Send him an email and ask if he knows any guides on those two bodies of water that do that.

Regards

TNBronzeback
02-22-2016, 12:03 PM
I understand your logic, but if it was me in that position, my thoughts would be this:
As a guide, i would charge, say $400 for a full day.
if i were to "sell you" 3 GPS locations for say $2,000 (to make it worth my while) whats stopping you from telling or selling those same spots to other people, or starting your own guide service and making money off a relatively small initial investment where i spent tons of hours and money to find those fish myself? Next thing I know, when i take my clients to my spots i sold to you, they are all beat up and sore mouthed and full of other fisherman, killing my likely hood of return clients and closing my business.
Weekend fisherman or us forum guys fish for fun, not a living so we dont have much at stake, but if somebody like Merv sold his spots (making a bunch of up front money im sure) he would cut his own throat in the long run.
i would stick with your current status and hire a guide, or even different guides throughout the seasons and just stick em in the memory bank for your own use and knowledge.
Just my 2 cents.

Travis C.
02-22-2016, 01:48 PM
While I do believe a guide helps the learning curve a bunch nothing will help more than time fishing/researching out your target area. Sometimes dealing with places far away or expensive it just has a lower ceiling for success than a body of water local to you.

The good thing about the places you mentioned is depending on the time of year they should fish close enough to the same to do on one what you would do on the other. A far better scenario than wanting to catch them on Guntersville and say Table Rock.

gordonc615
02-23-2016, 11:34 AM
Brian Carper out of JPP and Old Hickory has the very thing you are talking about. It is a subscription service and best I know he does very well with this service. Now that does not help you out on Guntersville or KY Lake but, if he is having success with it I would think that some guides on those two lakes might have same type service. Send him an email and ask if he knows any guides on those two bodies of water that do that.

Regards
I've got a friend who actually has used Brian carper in the past cause he's a lazy fisherman who tries to pretend like he's the best at it. I know his son told me that his dad will literally mark the spot in his phone right in front of Brian. I dunno I think that'd kinda dirty to me

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

jprism
02-25-2016, 11:53 AM
Well from mostly negative responses I would say I am out of luck. I have been a member of Brian Carper's service and being that 90% of the reports were from Priest I was hoping that I might find the same from Guntersville, Kentucky, Pickwick