PDA

View Full Version : Barrier removal

agelesssone
02-16-2016, 04:19 PM
I have word from the superintendent of the construction at GSP that the barrier is to be removed in 6 months.

jad2t
02-16-2016, 05:19 PM
I'm gonna get my popcorn ready and watch this thread explode.

Discussing that barrier's significance is like the new 2-buck limit and catch and release fishing combined!

SAMBOLIE
02-16-2016, 05:47 PM

Discussing that barrier's significance is like the new 2-buck limit and catch and release fishing combined!

Just watched a report on the 4 pm news. The existing barrier will be removed and replaced with a booth that will be manned 24/7. There will be a fee to fish the canal. Fee of $10 per day has veen proposed.

Charging to use the facilities that your tax $ built has been so profitable on Priest that the priviledge to use this one should be added.

jad2t
02-16-2016, 05:50 PM
Charging to use the facilities that your tax $ built has been so profitable on Priest that the priviledge to use this one should be added.

Oh, you mean like Long Hunter which keeps growing and taking away our public hunting land around JPP?

agelesssone
02-16-2016, 06:13 PM
My favorite is them closing the Elm Hill ramp to the public so only people who have boats "slipped" there can access it.

And if you come in from the lake and want to discharge passengers at the dock next to the ramp, there are old metal bolts sticking out of the dock that will scratch, jab, and damage your boat, aluminum or fiberglass.

Dakota
02-16-2016, 07:43 PM
Yeah so they'll be room to breathe. I'll have some of that popcorn too Jad2t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XxthejuicexX
02-16-2016, 09:16 PM

Don't forget about the epic 9mm V 45acp debate.

TNBronzeback
02-16-2016, 11:09 PM
Just install a perforated fence barrier at the mouth! water comes out but no fish or fisherman can. Nobody wins and nobody has to pay!
your all welcome.
Or just bulldoze the canal full of dirt. Lol

XxthejuicexX
02-16-2016, 11:17 PM
Just install a perforated fence barrier at the mouth! water comes out but no fish or fisherman can. Nobody wins and nobody has to pay!
your all welcome.
Or just bulldoze the canal full of dirt. Lol

Bulldoze? Dynamite!

TNBronzeback
02-16-2016, 11:52 PM
Bulldoze? Dynamite!

Full blown Duck Dynasty....im game! lol

SalmonDaze
02-17-2016, 11:57 AM
"No one in this town could catch any fish except this one friendly older man. A hopeful young man asked him how he did it. The old fisherman told the young man that he would take him fishing the next day but get there early; he leaves the dock at 5:30AM.

The young man got there on-time and once they got to the middle of the lake the man took out a stick of dynamite, lit it, and threw it in the water. After the explosion fish started floating to the top of the water. The man took out a net and started picking up the fish.

The young man quietly pulled out his game warden badge told him that this was illegal and that he was under arrest. The man took out another stick of dynamite, lit it, handed it to the officer and quietly asked him: "Are you going to fish or are you going to arrest me?"

XxthejuicexX
02-17-2016, 01:19 PM
"No one in this town could catch any fish except this one friendly older man. A hopeful young man asked him how he did it. The old fisherman told the young man that he would take him fishing the next day but get there early; he leaves the dock at 5:30AM.

The young man got there on-time and once they got to the middle of the lake the man took out a stick of dynamite, lit it, and threw it in the water. After the explosion fish started floating to the top of the water. The man took out a net and started picking up the fish.

The young man quietly pulled out his game warden badge told him that this was illegal and that he was under arrest. The man took out another stick of dynamite, lit it, handed it to the officer and quietly asked him: "Are you going to fish or are you going to arrest me?"

I love it. My grandfather used to tell me that one.

SalmonDaze
02-17-2016, 01:23 PM
I love it. My grandfather used to tell me that one.

Yep, mine too . . . I think that's what brought it to mind on this thread. Grandpa would likely be up the channel, fees in hand, smiling at all the traffic; just before ignition and whistling while he collected fins.

:D

Travis C.
02-17-2016, 10:11 PM
About time they removed it. Now all the fish that have been trapped on the otherside for years can access the main lake again. :D

Travis C.
02-17-2016, 10:17 PM

Its definitely had an affect on the fishing. I don't think its better or worse than before just a little different and more social. If it does go thats fine with me it won't change my approach one bit.

XxthejuicexX
02-17-2016, 10:52 PM
I have never known anything but the barrier so I am looking forward to it being down... that is if global warming stops and winter gets back to being cold again.

Jigemjigs
02-18-2016, 12:08 AM
I wish they would open the bank access back up

Sent from my U671C using Tapatalk

Brian37075
02-18-2016, 06:14 AM
Maybe they will put up a no wake zone buoy. It got ruff with boats going in and out at high speeds before the barrier.

jad2t
02-18-2016, 08:34 AM
I think No Wake buoys is an absolute must. I'm fine with it being gone so that more people can fish the area and not be so crowded. What I don't want is to be sitting in my yak fishing peacefully and have some bozo in a glitter rocket come flying wide open up the channel with little regard to those who were there first.

eksfish
02-18-2016, 09:43 AM
At least a couple no wake signs on each side of canal entrance.

Travis C.
02-18-2016, 05:06 PM
I wish they would open the bank access back up

Sent from my U671C using Tapatalk

That was fun but sometimes crowded fishing.

I have had the full experience on that regard though being caught lots of fish and had a truck vandalized.

Travis C.
02-18-2016, 05:09 PM

The main problem it always seemed with canal by boat was there's always "that guy" who while others are trying to fish in the canal pulls 4 planer boards right up the middle.

SalmonDaze
02-19-2016, 08:04 AM
The main problem it always seemed with canal by boat was there's always "that guy" who while others are trying to fish in the canal pulls 4 planer boards right up the middle.

You mean this guy:

http://www.flatheadlakefishing.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/planer_boards_fishing.jpg

Travis C.
02-19-2016, 08:34 AM
You mean this guy:

http://www.flatheadlakefishing.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/planer_boards_fishing.jpg

Yes that guy but with more than one or two people already in the canal. It just needs to be done with courtesy or at least common sense given the tight quarters.

I just wanna be clear though in I am not anti-planer boards at all.

Was that your boat in the pic SalmonDaze? If so where were you at the water looks amazing?

Pinwheeled
02-19-2016, 08:43 AM

This needs to happen at the least. Even now there are guys that done come off plane until almost at the barrier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jad2t
02-19-2016, 08:50 AM
It just needs to be done with courtesy or at least common sense given the tight quarters.

Courtesy among anglers? What is this nonsense you speak of?

That in particular hasn't happened to me but two Springs ago I had a guy get his lines tangled with mine more than once when he decided to get all up in the route I was going back and forth on in my kayak trolling grubs for Crappie. I had marker buoys out so he knew that was my area and I was going back and forth among them. I was having a good morning and he wanted in on my action. Find another spot buddy, I was there first.

Because I'm a nice guy I'd just laugh about it and untangle his stuff but in the back of my head I was thinking I wanted to cut his jigs off every time he did that and maybe he'd go away.

SalmonDaze
02-19-2016, 09:13 AM
Yes that guy but with more than one or two people already in the canal. It just needs to be done with courtesy or at least common sense given the tight quarters.

I just wanna be clear though in I am not anti-planer boards at all.

Was that your boat in the pic SalmonDaze? If so where were you at the water looks amazing?

No, not me/boat; just a random google pic. I have a love/hate relationship with planer boards . . . I hate them (I hate anything between me, the line, the hook, and the fish), but I love catching fish; so I admit to owning and using them.

Having fished for salmon/trout/walleyes for 40 years on the Great Lakes, I can't believe the number of times I've seen (and been close to involved with) shots fired (over the bow) of recreational fishermen trolling "their line" in the largest patch of fresh water in North America.

Since in TN for the past several years; I've been fortunate enough to have seen this behavior 0.00 times. Most times, guys give each other enough room to drive a river barge between.

Not sure I'll even attempt a GSP canal voyage unless gale winds blowing with 2" of snow so as to have minimal likelihood of dodge-em-boats.

Travis C.
02-19-2016, 09:33 AM
Not sure I'll even attempt a GSP canal voyage unless gale winds blowing with 2" of snow so as to have minimal likelihood of dodge-em-boats.

That's usually the best fishing anyways under those conditions.

I am wanting to try pulling couple of the smaller boards on my kayak or jon boat just to see how the work. It's been an interest now for a couple years. But the work from a kayak may be more than I want to put up with.

Luckily you never ran into the situation I am referring to. For years (pre-barrier) there was a guy every winter in a center console who regardless of how many boats were in the canal would pull boards up/down it. That same person would also anchor up in the canal free line and bottom bait on several rods regardless how many people were in there. He was a navigational nightmare.

Those who have fished GSP for a long while may have ran into him before as he was a regular years ago.