PDA

View Full Version : Gsp bust

agelesssone
02-08-2016, 09:30 PM
Another wasted day at GSP.
No striper action at all. I had rods out all over the boat.
One rod had small threadfin.
One rod had medium gizzard.
One rod had 12 inch skippie.
Another rod had a nightcrawler.
Another rod had two crappie magnets casting for skippies.
Another rod had an A-rig.
Another rod had a 3/4 oz jighead and white fluke.
After all was said and done, I caught 2 bluegills, one yellow bass and one 3 lb drum. All of the fishy baits were still alive and kicking when I took them off the hooks.
Main river temp was 49-50 degrees, discharge channel was 57 when I got there at 11AM and 60.5 when I left at 5:30.
River was rolling very well with lot of semi-submerged debris and heavily stained, darned near muddy.

XxthejuicexX
02-08-2016, 10:28 PM
Dang. I think this winter is a bust for the GSP. I have only been once.

Gone fishing
02-08-2016, 11:41 PM
I fished Saturday from 3pm until 10pm not a single rod bend.

lupanfreitag
02-09-2016, 06:06 PM
We need about three weeks of dry weather
I'm praying for it

TNBronzeback
02-09-2016, 06:11 PM
Dang. I think this winter is a bust for the GSP. I have only been once.
Yup! ive thrown in the towel this year as well and never went this year. It would need to be bone dry and frigid cold for several weeks non-stop for that place to have a chance this year.

Texas_Rig
02-09-2016, 08:33 PM
I went in there one afternoon last week bass fishing. I never got a bite but it didn't make much sense to me bc there was bait everywhere. Like everywhere from the point to the barrier

XxthejuicexX
02-09-2016, 09:28 PM
Yup! ive thrown in the towel this year as well and never went this year. It would need to be bone dry and frigid cold for several weeks non-stop for that place to have a chance this year.

You sir are correct. 3-4 weeks of cold dry weather and then it would be good. I don't see it happening. What I find funny is this had been a warm rainy winter and it's still the most snow I have seen In years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TNBronzeback
02-09-2016, 10:12 PM
You sir are correct. 3-4 weeks of cold dry weather and then it would be good. I don't see it happening. What I find funny is this had been a warm rainy winter and it's still the most snow I have seen In years.

My experience with snow, in michigan at least, is when its nasty bitter cold, we never got much snow, but when it hovered from 25-30-ish, we got dumped on....almost like the super cold almost "dried" out any moisture.

XxthejuicexX
02-09-2016, 10:51 PM
My experience with snow, in michigan at least, is when its nasty bitter cold, we never got much snow, but when it hovered from 25-30-ish, we got dumped on....almost like the super cold almost "dried" out any moisture.

I think you are right. I had friends in Minnesota and when I would visit it always seemed like the colder it was the drier the air. I wish it would get cold here so the steam plant would get good.

agelesssone
02-09-2016, 11:55 PM
Rumor has it that on the day we had our last big snowfall, a coupla well known locals caught a 36 and a 53 lb rockfish at GSP. Just sayin'.....
No photos were shown or posted....

XxthejuicexX
02-10-2016, 07:58 AM
Rumor has it that on the day we had our last big snowfall, a coupla well known locals caught a 36 and a 53 lb rockfish at GSP. Just sayin'.....

That's nice, I've still got to work :)

Reel Tune
02-10-2016, 08:39 AM

I saw a photo of one of the fish, it looked like the 53, because it was a lot bigger than a 36

Travis C.
02-10-2016, 11:02 AM
I have about turned my attention to hybrids now and chalked this winter up as a loss.

agelesssone
02-10-2016, 11:27 AM
I have about turned my attention to hybrids now and chalked this winter up as a loss.

Travis, where are you going to start your search? JPP?
What area
I would imagine the upper end is still pretty muddy.

Travis C.
02-10-2016, 11:52 AM
Travis, where are you going to start your search? JPP?
What area
I would imagine the upper end is still pretty muddy.

The lower end.

They are still deep in the trees I am sure being since the water is upper 40's/low 50's. Not quite time for them to move yet.

tkwalker
02-10-2016, 01:04 PM
Old linesides has already started moving upstream. The mass exodus will start in the next two to three weeks. Now this is to say that old Scaly Face will be leaving from the lower end of the lake to the upper end .. 100 Mile trip and GSP is a stopping place so they will be pit stopping there.

Remember they are seeking 60 degree water to spawn (which is only less than 5% will reproduce) .. March, April and May prime time up stream. Target Ambush points, Islands (Head and tail ends) ... "My best fish were caught when the weather was not fit for man nor beast" Good Luck <'TK><;)

JeffsLowe
02-10-2016, 02:23 PM
Another wasted day at GSP.
No striper action at all. I had rods out all over the boat.
One rod had small threadfin.
One rod had medium gizzard.
One rod had 12 inch skippie.
Another rod had a nightcrawler.
Another rod had two crappie magnets casting for skippies.
Another rod had an A-rig.
Another rod had a 3/4 oz jighead and white fluke.
After all was said and done, I caught 2 bluegills, one yellow bass and one 3 lb drum. All of the fishy baits were still alive and kicking when I took them off the hooks.
Main river temp was 49-50 degrees, discharge channel was 57 when I got there at 11AM and 60.5 when I left at 5:30.
River was rolling very well with lot of semi-submerged debris and heavily stained, darned near muddy.

i am impressed. If I tried to put out that many rods…

The small threadfin line would get wrapped around the medium gizzard line.

In trying to untangle the medium gizzard and small thread fin lines they would get tangled up with the 12" skippie line.

In trying to untangle the medium gizzard, small thread fin, and 12" skippie lines they would all get tangled up with the nightcrawler line.

In trying to untangle the medium gizzard, small thread fin, 12" skippie, and nightcrawler lines, I would have my head down, the boat would spin around, and all the above lines would get snagged up and wrapped up in the trolling motor propeller.

While i am on my knees leaning out over the water trying to untangle the trolling motor I would lay down the crappie magnet rod I was casting for skip pies and it would get snagged on the bottom and have to break it off.

While i was yanking on the crappie magnet rod I would inadvertently trip the release on the A rig reel and it would drop to the bottom and get snagged too. Not wanting to lose my expensive lure I would drop my trolling motor back in the water, forgetting all the lines wrapped around it, and then have to pull it back up and cut all the lines, While that was happening the boat would have drifted away and I would hear a splash, turning around just in time to see my A rig setup slip right out of the boat.

So then i would use the jig head and fluke rod to try and snag the A rig rod and pull it up, only to have it get snagged too.and have to break off the line.

After all that I just head back to the ramp, stopping at the dock to talk to the guy and his daughter, and politely admire the 20lb striper she just caught right out in front of the ramp on her pink barbie rod.

The I would load up and head back to the tackle store to resupply...

Pinwheeled
02-10-2016, 06:50 PM
It hasn't been a bust for everyone. Last time I was up there I saw this fish that went over 40 and two others caught that I suspect were in the 30's. It was a slow day for the fish I was after but striper guys did alright. It was warm and windy that day. Overall, it has been a little slow this year though.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160210/b3ba5620b61361b428e241d1a30e516f.jpg

agelesssone
02-10-2016, 07:37 PM
i am impressed. If I tried to put out that many rods…

The small threadfin line would get wrapped around the medium gizzard line.

In trying to untangle the medium gizzard and small thread fin lines they would get tangled up with the 12" skippie line.

In trying to untangle the medium gizzard, small thread fin, and 12" skippie lines they would all get tangled up with the nightcrawler line.

In trying to untangle the medium gizzard, small thread fin, 12" skippie, and nightcrawler lines, I would have my head down, the boat would spin around, and all the above lines would get snagged up and wrapped up in the trolling motor propeller.

While i am on my knees leaning out over the water trying to untangle the trolling motor I would lay down the crappie magnet rod I was casting for skip pies and it would get snagged on the bottom and have to break it off.

While i was yanking on the crappie magnet rod I would inadvertently trip the release on the A rig reel and it would drop to the bottom and get snagged too. Not wanting to lose my expensive lure I would drop my trolling motor back in the water, forgetting all the lines wrapped around it, and then have to pull it back up and cut all the lines, While that was happening the boat would have drifted away and I would hear a splash, turning around just in time to see my A rig setup slip right out of the boat.

So then i would use the jig head and fluke rod to try and snag the A rig rod and pull it up, only to have it get snagged too.and have to break off the line.

After all that I just head back to the ramp, stopping at the dock to talk to the guy and his daughter, and politely admire the 20lb striper she just caught right out in front of the ramp on her pink barbie rod.

LMAO Jeff, I have had trips just about like the one you describe!

The I would load up and head back to the tackle store to resupply...

LMAO, Jeff I have had trips that happened just about the way you described it!
That day at the GSP, I did have one instance where three lines got tangled. Undid two but had to cut one. Then I get a fish on the ultralight with the shiner and it wrapped around an underwater snag. Tried to coax it out for about five minutes then it finally broke the six lb leader. I pulled up the tree/limb and didn't bother retying. It was time to call it a day.

Travis C.
02-10-2016, 11:48 PM
It hasn't been a bust for everyone. Last time I was up there I saw this fish that went over 40 and two others caught that I suspect were in the 30's. It was a slow day for the fish I was after but striper guys did alright. It was warm and windy that day. Overall, it has been a little slow this year though.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160210/b3ba5620b61361b428e241d1a30e516f.jpg

How long ago was that if you don't mind me asking?

Pinwheeled
02-11-2016, 07:07 PM
How long ago was that if you don't mind me asking?

Just a couple weeks ago

Fishaholic
02-14-2016, 10:44 PM
2 weekends ago on the warm but windy Saturday Salty, The Natural and I went that late Sat afternoon and saw 3 caught 21, 25, and 38. Unfortunately none on my boat. The 2 smaller ones were caught on live skippies and the biggest one on a chandelier version of an Alabama rig. Saw 2 other bites missed. Went last weekend in the morning and only saw 2 bites and 1 fish caught in the 15-20 lb class. My buddy caught a nice hybrid 23 in and I got a 15 in white bass and a runt yellow bass. So the fish are there but you definitely have to hit it right.