PDA

View Full Version : Yesterday below Cheatham

Shoe man
02-02-2016, 10:35 AM
Put in about 7am and fished till around 1. The gates are still open but the water level has been steady for about 2 weeks now. The whites are still scattered but there are some good ones showing up. We fished from a 1/2 mile below the ramp to a little passed Lock B hitting eddies and creeks on the way down. All but 1 was caught on the river bank anywhere from 1ft to 15 ft deep. I'll try to post a7972 picture of the gar I caught. Fun day! 7973

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

jaystaler88
02-02-2016, 11:06 AM
We went below Cheatham on Saturday, current and wind was insane. Managed to stay on the fish but had to use the big motor to keep it steady. Think we caught about 8-10, but eventually threw in the towel. I imagine more could be caught once they cut the water down.

Alphahawk
02-02-2016, 11:29 AM
Congrats on your catch.

Regards

Shoe man
02-02-2016, 11:46 AM
We went below Cheatham on Saturday, current and wind was insane. Managed to stay on the fish but had to use the big motor to keep it steady. Think we caught about 8-10, but eventually threw in the towel. I imagine more could be caught once they cut the water down.
I kinda like it higher than most people do but have been fishing down there for at least 25 yrs. I've had several different boats but the one I currently have is the best I've had for holding in the current.

Shoe man
02-02-2016, 11:48 AM
Congrats on your catch.

Regards
Thanks! See you at the fairgrounds in a couple weeks if you're at the tm booth.

gordonc615
02-02-2016, 06:35 PM
nice looking gar!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

XxthejuicexX
02-02-2016, 08:36 PM
Great gar. They are so much fun to catch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AllOutdoors
02-02-2016, 11:08 PM
Congrats! I remember growing up dad used to take us below cheatam dam for stripe. Lock b comes to mind?

Halli
02-03-2016, 08:13 AM
Nice now wear your PFD next time. :)

Shoe man
02-03-2016, 09:56 AM
Great gar. They are so much fun to catch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Especially hooked in the tail!

Shoe man
02-03-2016, 10:00 AM
Nice now wear your PFD next time. :)
Always wear it when the big motor is running. Stays hooked to the kill switch. Can't get used to taking it loose or hooking the kill switch back up. :)

XxthejuicexX
02-03-2016, 10:18 AM
Especially hooked in the tail!

Oh man. It would be hard to slow that thing down hooked in the tail. Wear your PFD if you want, you are a grown man and can make your own decisions :)

TnCreekMaster
02-03-2016, 12:38 PM
Speaking of gar ive had my fair share of run ins with the prehistoric beasts, there are 3 run ins that stick out in my mind, 1st one I was fishing around the island down from Nashville casting a squarebill to the shore around the island and as I was bringing the bait back to the boat I glanced down right b4 the crank came out of the water and I see a mouth full of teeth emerge from the darkness, the fish turned and I saw just how long this fish was judging by my boat this fish was over 6' long it saw me and was gone back to the depths.

2nd memorable time I was at the mouth of mill creek one day that the water was extremely clear and I was looking around trying to find some bass up shallow around the wood and I spotted what I believed was a stick diagonal in the water but I saw it move and noticed a tail moving and I knew this wasnt no stick it was a 5ft+ gar, so I preceded to make a perfect cast with my lead head and grub landing it right on the nose if the gar and boom hooked up and this thing is pulling, me and the boat all around the creek ended up in the main river in the current and after 10 min I land this beast on 6lb floro and a light action rod.

3rd time I was on the lower stones mid june launched at heartland went up river to the first big bend and all along the left bank (stones river farm side) there were gar so thick along the bank and out about 20ft from the bank that It seemed like you could walk on them to get to shore, and these were not no small gar either im talking 4-6ft and I saw one that had to go 7+ foot, my guess is they were up there to spawn and they wernt just in a small stretch of river, for almost the whole outside bend of the river was loaded with gar shoulder to shoulder. Truly an amazing sight that I wont soon forget!
I truly believe that the next state record longnose gar will come from cheatham lake after seeing those beasts up close and personal
Happy fishing
TnCreekMaster

Shoe man
02-03-2016, 01:47 PM
Speaking of gar ive had my fair share of run ins with the prehistoric beasts, there are 3 run ins that stick out in my mind, 1st one I was fishing around the island down from Nashville casting a squarebill to the shore around the island and as I was bringing the bait back to the boat I glanced down right b4 the crank came out of the water and I see a mouth full of teeth emerge from the darkness, the fish turned and I saw just how long this fish was judging by my boat this fish was over 6' long it saw me and was gone back to the depths.

2nd memorable time I was at the mouth of mill creek one day that the water was extremely clear and I was looking around trying to find some bass up shallow around the wood and I spotted what I believed was a stick diagonal in the water but I saw it move and noticed a tail moving and I knew this wasnt no stick it was a 5ft+ gar, so I preceded to make a perfect cast with my lead head and grub landing it right on the nose if the gar and boom hooked up and this thing is pulling, me and the boat all around the creek ended up in the main river in the current and after 10 min I land this beast on 6lb floro and a light action rod.

3rd time I was on the lower stones mid june launched at heartland went up river to the first big bend and all along the left bank (stones river farm side) there were gar so thick along the bank and out about 20ft from the bank that It seemed like you could walk on them to get to shore, and these were not no small gar either im talking 4-6ft and I saw one that had to go 7+ foot, my guess is they were up there to spawn and they wernt just in a small stretch of river, for almost the whole outside bend of the river was loaded with gar shoulder to shoulder. Truly an amazing sight that I wont soon forget!
I truly believe that the next state record longnose gar will come from cheatham lake after seeing those beasts up close and personal
Happy fishing
TnCreekMaster
Dave, who fishes with me a lot and I have a spot below Cheatham Dam that we have named the Gar Hole. It's along a certain section of bank just upstream from Bartons creek and we'll run into a group of gar somewhere on that bank nearly every time we're down there fishing for whites. Lots of memorable encounters.

gordonc615
02-04-2016, 04:27 PM

Happy fishing
TnCreekMaster
lol I used to shoot those gar out of mill creek! the spots that u fish were over run with those and these big 15 lb carp so I had my days with em. Needless to say the creek ecosystem is back in order and I'm catching 4lb smallies out of it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk