PDA

View Full Version : 1-31-16 sauger fishing

TNBronzeback
01-31-2016, 08:15 PM
What a miserable day on the water today with all that wind! lol. So i spent the bulk of my day playing with the new lowrance....how cool!
Got 3 bites from my normal spot and they produced 3 shorts. Went behind an island and marked a ton of what im guessing were gar judging by the screen. Hit the mouth of a down river creek and marked a bunch of fish....they were white bass. Landed 1 stout fish. Wanted to stay but the wind made it un-fishable.
Went back up river to the mouth of another creek and fished the slack water seams and found a great mixed bag. Whites, saugers and a few crappies. Saugers were as shallow as 15ft. The whites were on a break in 14ft.
All fish were smashing the bare hook/minnow rig.
Went up the creek and took some cool snap shots. I think those were crappies around the trees.
My revised sauger stinger was a big success. When i was using it jigging i went 8 for 8 on bites/boated fish which was pretty cool!
i think my school of winter saugers have moved on to thier next spawning phase and left my spot in the rear view mirrow till next year! lol.
Gonna have to start hitting my other places now.
Seems like the whites have begun thier staging process as well.
All in all, considering the hurricane winds...pretty sucessful day!

Alphahawk
01-31-2016, 08:49 PM
Nice images. Looks like crappie to me.

Regards

XxthejuicexX
01-31-2016, 08:55 PM
Great looking shots. I will say one thing. I don't know if you have it on or not but don't run the depth at auto adjust. Manually change it to the depth you are fishing to get the max screen size out of it. My lowrance is terrible about jumping depth farther than it needs to. I will be in 23 FOW and it will want to bump the depth to 40 if it's on auto. I never use auto even on the Hbird. We still need to get out and fish for those sauger.

TNBronzeback
01-31-2016, 09:58 PM
Great looking shots. I will say one thing. I don't know if you have it on or not but don't run the depth at auto adjust. Manually change it to the depth you are fishing to get the max screen size out of it. My lowrance is terrible about jumping depth farther than it needs to. I will be in 23 FOW and it will want to bump the depth to 40 if it's on auto. I never use auto even on the Hbird. We still need to get out and fish for those sauger.
Yes we do!!! Let me know when. Im gonna target below old hickory next time out.
yeah i played around with it for about 4 hours on and off today. Give my blood pressure a rest from the wind! lol. I set it to 60ft after i realized why i couldnt see anything deeper than 40ft when i turned it on.
I did notice though the lowrance and humminbird interfere with each other. I was hoping being on opposite ends of the boat it would be ok, but i just turned the console humminbird off and the lowrance cleared right up. Sweet unit and i was able to watch my jig too. Thats priceless in some of my fishing through the year. Watch that bass come off bottom and crush my jigging blade in 25'.

XxthejuicexX
01-31-2016, 10:28 PM
Man, I love watching fish come up and hit a jigging rap or something on sonar. Stinks the units interfere with each other. I think you can change the hertz and it will take care of that issue. I know my friend has two elite 7's and he has to run one on 83 and the other on 200 if they are on at the same time. I'm itching to get my boat out. I have been cleaning it up over the last couple warm days. I am going to get the extra mounts installed for the helix 7 and the transducer hopefully this week. I need to get out and catch some winter crappie.

TNBronzeback
01-31-2016, 11:25 PM
Man, I love watching fish come up and hit a jigging rap or something on sonar. Stinks the units interfere with each other. I think you can change the hertz and it will take care of that issue. I know my friend has two elite 7's and he has to run one on 83 and the other on 200 if they are on at the same time. I'm itching to get my boat out. I have been cleaning it up over the last couple warm days. I am going to get the extra mounts installed for the helix 7 and the transducer hopefully this week. I need to get out and catch some winter crappie.
Well it's not that big of a deal, the HB on the console is a $99 unit that came with boat so I will just power it off when I drop the trolling motor down.
Yeah my boat is trashed from the muddy ramps this winter. Needs a good wash and wax no doubt.
I need me some winter crappies myself.