PDA

View Full Version : Maiden Voyage of New Kayak Today!

aero320
01-30-2016, 08:00 PM
Picked up the new kayak this morning (Jackson Big Rig, GI Jackson). Unpacked everything, set it up, headed to the small. The lake in McMinnville on the Barren Fork. I had never actually been in a kayak until today. Did pretty well, paddled a log way with the wind, then against the wind. Realized I needed a trolling motor on the kayak.

I tried standing up using the leaning rail. I didn't fall out but it was shakey.

Experienced more trouble loading and unloading than anything else.

I have a question fir you kayakers. I am going to use a Group 24 battery with a trolling motor. Where should I locate the battey, behind the seat, in the rear compartment, or in the front compartment?

I am really impressed with Jackso Kayaks!

Reel Tune
01-31-2016, 07:16 AM
Picked up the new kayak this morning (Jackson Big Rig, GI Jackson). Unpacked everything, set it up, headed to the small. The lake in McMinnville on the Barren Fork. I had never actually been in a kayak until today. Did pretty well, paddled a log way with the wind, then against the wind. Realized I needed a trolling motor on the kayak.

I tried standing up using the leaning rail. I didn't fall out but it was shakey.

Experienced more trouble loading and unloading than anything else.

I have a question fir you kayakers. I am going to use a Group 24 battery with a trolling motor. Where should I locate the battey, behind the seat, in the rear compartment, or in the front compartment?

I am really impressed with Jackso Kayaks!

Congratulations on your maiden voyage. As for stability it does vary by person, but you was in one of the most stable kayaks out there. It will take a little getting used to build your confidence.

If it were me I would locate the trolling motor battery toward the front. The kayak will already be rear heavy with trolling motor, your gear and yourself. The more weight toward the front will level the boat out especially when under power.

TNtroller
01-31-2016, 07:58 AM
Just google your model yak and add trolling motor, you'll get lots of hits on how others have done it, cherry pick the best and go for it.

Might consider using either a utility trailer or PWC trailer modded for your yak to haul it on. I found a 15 y/o Hustler boat trailer on CL and use it to haul my Nucanoe Frontier. It makes it MUCH easier to launch/load, and you don't have to really "lift" the yak and its weight to get it in the bed of a PU. I went to the local lake yesterday, and launching consisted of putting all the stuff in the yak just like you normally do but yak was on the trailer, backed the trailer down the ramp just like a big boat, pushed the yak off the trailer into the water, drug it up onto the ramp, parked the truck/trailer, and left the ramp area.

the wind picked up pretty good by the time (15-20 mph gusts) I was ready to go, but I backed the trailer into the water where the bunks were just out of the water, waited for the wind to cooperate, pushed the yak out into the water, used a small rope to pull the yak onto the bunks, winched it up, and pulled up from the ramp.

I treat the yak as a small tin boat, etc., just have to remember its plastic, not metal and launch/load the yak in the same manner.